Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

User Info Menu

Re: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

I use a separate debit and credit card while in Jamaica. I am lucky enough to have a Tangerine debit card (owned by Scotia Bank but with no fees) and a credit card with a low credit limit. Only use them while I am there and monitor for a few weeks when I get back. Never had any issues and easy to check. My regular debit and credit cards come with me, in case of emergency but always stay in the safe.

User Info Menu

I had become 'too' comfortable using the ATM's here. I was not looking over the machine, checking the slot etc, and because they are enclosed, I was not hiding my PIN entries. The card slot looked and performed the same as it had before.

User Info Menu

Spoke to the manager today at Scotia , he stated all was well
    I mentioned my concerns
    I have used the outside ATMs all week with no issues using a Scotia bank debit card
    I always cover my entry with my hand
    The pad looked like the worn original one along with the card insert
    There is no atm inside anymore
    Be careful out there !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Spoke to the manager today at Scotia , he stated all was well
    I mentioned my concerns
    I have used the outside ATMs all week with no issues using a Scotia bank debit card
    I always cover my entry with my hand
    The pad looked like the worn original one along with the card insert
    There is no atm inside anymore
    Be careful out there !
    Since there is no more ATM inside the bank, is it possible for the teller to get you money off of your debit account number? I don't get paid until after I arrive in Jamaica and planned on accessing that money while I was down there....

User Info Menu

I don't see how it would be a problem , they may also request another form of identifications but. ....... The lineups are very long inside, today like at least 20 deep

User Info Menu

No more ATM inside? Sigh...so what are the options for using an ATM where this hasn't happened?

[/url]

User Info Menu

Wow, that truly sucks that they don't have ATM's inside. I thought on a prior post, that they said that they were available. After all that happened with us...we have now had another 400 US withdrawal. We had one other debit card from a separate account. It was used only once. When we went to our bank, to sign all the papers, we mentioned that we used one other card, only once, on another account. They advised us not to worry about that. Now....they worry!! 2 days ago, this card had been hacked. The bank was quick to put back the cash back with no problem. BUT, truly, I am beside miself with all this. I just wish that Travelers checks were still available to us. Hopefully, something will change before we come back. Maybe we should just open another account with only a certain amount of cash in it. But, if we have to transfer $$, I don't know that I would be comfortable doing a transfer while in a foreign country, online. The cyber world has begun to make me "money shy". Dear Jah, please don't make it this hard to come back to an island that gives me such comfort.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Reading up on this just a bit, I see that one issue is private ATMs that use insecure networks, so the skimming is done by hacking the computer network, not the physical ATM. For this reason, it would be helpful if people do post what ATM they used (if they know) to alert the rest of us. If the ATM is running on an unencrypted wireless network, it's trivially easy to hack.

User Info Menu

Several of the ATMs in town are branded as NCB or Scotia. I expect those are on the bank's network

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

I was in town from Jan 12 -19th. I used the NCB machine by the Hi-Lo and the Scotia ATM at Time Square. So far, no problems.

I did NOT use the Scotia ATM at the Roundabout.