Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

User Info Menu

Re: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

M&G

Not really interested in a Jamaican account right now. Someday when our stays become longer than a week or two it will be worth the hassle. Was hoping to open a Canadian account, but no luck. I have a BOA account so I will have to check in to their reciprocity with Scotia.

Bless...
    Ed
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

Administrator

User Info Menu

Ras,

There is no reciprocity between Scotia Canada and Scotia Jamaica. The two banks are unrelated.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Gearing up for our reach in a couple weeks - was at my credit union today. Asked about fraud coverage. They told me that if it is a pin transaction, I am not covered. Um, what? I'm only covered for credit transactions. She cheerfully told me to just use my card as credit at the places I go. No, not like that in Negril.... Maybe others knew this, but I had no idea, so I thought I'd share. Glad I asked. Making different money arrangements for this trip.

[/url]

User Info Menu

Just spoke to the gentleman at our local bank regarding our 3 fraudulent withdrawals. At least 2 of them were processed in Brussels, Belgium of all places. Just to note, our debit card was not used anywhere in JA..except at 2 ATM"S in Negril. It was always locked in a safe and never carried with us, except to the ATM....and then we would return to the room and lock up the cash and the debit card.

I don't know if this info is helpful to anyone, but those with expertise in the digital world we live in...maybe so. IF someone has any input, please let us know. Peace out...and a shout to Bnewb...you are very welcome.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Jenn, I am not sure your credit union is correct. Banks that issue debit cards have to follow Visa/Matercard rules which cover the consumer for any fraudulent transaction. I would ask your credit union to provide you with their debit card disclosures.

The debit cards at the bank I work for are VISA cards and VISA has $0 liability for the consumer.
    Last edited by jamaicajeanne; 02-24-2016 at 03:09 PM.

User Info Menu

After reading all of these posts I am going to contact my bank and discuss with them the best possible way to combat issues before they arise. My initial thought is to open a separate checking account that has a separate debit card. Tie it to my other account in that I can transfer between the two and do not add overdraft protection from any account on the Jamaica debit card. Transfer funds, go get the funds from the ATM and leave 0.00 in the Jamaica account until the next time I need cash. Then use a separate card in the instance we want to charge something (not a PIN transaction). Credit card transactions have fraud protection so less liability that way.
    Sunset at the Palms 2/09
    Point Village 08/09
    Xtabi 08/09
    Footeprints 11/09
    Negril Beach Club June 22, 2016-July 9, 2016
    Country Country November 19, 2016-November 27, 2016
    White Sands 12/28-21/7/23
    *previously known as crazy4caribbean*

User Info Menu

madcam94, when you contact your bank, ask to talk to the person or department who specializes in debit card fraud issues. A banker or teller may not be able to effectively answer all of your questions.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Jamaicajeanne. I will confirm with the fraud department at my credit union.

[/url]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madcam94 View Post
    My initial thought is to open a separate checking account that has a separate debit card. Tie it to my other account in that I can transfer between the two and do not add overdraft protection from any account on the Jamaica debit card. Transfer funds, go get the funds from the ATM and leave 0.00 in the Jamaica account until the next time I need cash.
    That is what I have done, the bank said "good idea". Very easy to do online (Schwab).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madcam94 View Post
    After reading all of these posts I am going to contact my bank and discuss with them the best possible way to combat issues before they arise. My initial thought is to open a separate checking account that has a separate debit card. Tie it to my other account in that I can transfer between the two and do not add overdraft protection from any account on the Jamaica debit card. Transfer funds, go get the funds from the ATM and leave 0.00 in the Jamaica account until the next time I need cash. Then use a separate card in the instance we want to charge something (not a PIN transaction). Credit card transactions have fraud protection so less liability that way.
    This is an excellent idea for any trip out of town if you're not comfortable with a strange ATM. It's also a good way for internet transactions too.