Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

Unforntunately or fortunately depending on your account(s), this seems to be something restricted to the "international cards" (Visa/MasterCard). The only incidents I have heard and seen on my friends accounts have been on the Visa/MasterCard authorization taking place only after the transaction was approved by the clearing house in Brazil that Capt D mentioned in this thread.

I have not seen or heard of a "local only" debit card being "skimmed". I visit these machine regularly (pretty much all of them) and skimming does not seem to be the problem. If it was skimming, I would have been nailed since I use my local card all over town frequently. But the local transactions never make it to the Brazil center, adding evidence that the problem lies elsewhere off the island.

When you call your Chase Bank service center (or any other bank), ask if this is a Jamaican problem or with the centralized Brazilian transaction center. This may signify that you know of the problem. And if the problem lies with malware in the Brazil center, the more people who know and inquire about it may make them install less vulnerable software and fix the problem.

Sorry.... my former technical customer service persona coming out in me.... (grin)
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Rob, would the processing center in Brazil get access to the pin# though? I didn't think it worked like that, but I know very little about these things.

Administrator

User Info Menu

TAH,

Malware is very sophisticated. The transaction cannot be completed without the PIN#. So the transaction center would have to have access to the PIN, which the malware can capture. The systems are only as secure as the programmers who wrote the code. And there is some bad code out there.

Also look for an increase of "ransome-ware" - cyber security will become a big topic this year. That is why I am asking those coming here to call their company and ask about the Brazil transaction center. It seems the problem is there since local transactions are unaffected. That is simple deductive reasoning....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

As I said in my first post, I only posted the information to help alert others. I am not blaming Jamaica...for this type of problem can occur anywhere. Thankfully, myself as well as others, are much more informed. My card was a debit card through my bank at home...which was a Mastercard. This was the first time that we have ever had this happen...in Jamaica (after 29 trips) or anywhere for that matter. I know that our bank was going to do more research regarding this. If and when, I am able to get any more information regarding the 3 unauthorized withdrawals, I will post it.

I am so thankful for the valuable information that the boardies and Rob have shared. I have learned so much, along with a lot of googling on the subject! LOL I know that I am much more diligent regarding the use of ANY cards at home, looking over the ATM's, etc. When traveling this year, I know I will be continuing to do so.
    Last edited by yetta; 02-23-2016 at 08:17 PM.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Yetta...Thank You, as your post reminded me to check...sometimes we get a bit lazy about doing so...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ras Walleye View Post
    I wish us Yanks could open Scotia Bank accounts. It would make the whole money thing easier. Sadly you must be a Canadian citizen.
    You don't have to be a Canadian to open an account with Scotia Bank Jamaica (SB JA) - just have all your ducks in a row and you should be good to go. When we opened our SB JA account, we were told that they are a separate entity from SB Canada, and not "connected" with SB Canada (SB CA). We found that out quick, as you can't easily do an account to account transfer as we would do here (say chequing to savings) when transferring from SB Canada to SB JA.

You will need your valid passport, another piece of Government issued photo ID, 2 references - on letterhead, and if you use your dentist, be sure he/she puts his/her stamp on it - we're talking very official! They will check your employment, and your references, so be sure you have numbers to reach them NOW! It takes time, but they will reiterate to you that they are very very VERY serious about money laundering. You will need to let them know why you want the account (frequent tourist works); how much you plan to transfer monthly; why; etc. Like I said, VERY serious about money laundering - in fact, while the contacted our references (another story for another day, but don't try to it over Christmas when your boss and HR and probably your dentist references are away .... just sayin'), we were given a booklet to read about money laundering and how the Jamaican banks and government are taking steps to control it. Scotia Bank Jamaica will let you know what you need; you can ask them what their requirements are now. We did this 5 years ago.

User Info Menu

On another note .... we check our accounts pretty regularly - (and by "we" I mean G because he has the com on $$$ cause he's uber better at it) maybe not daily, but every 2-3 days max. Fraud happens everywhere from everywhere all the time! We have been frauded a number of times (while we're home mostly, I might add) and I must say the credit card companies and banks are on it! They send you an affidavit real quick and go for it! Your $$$ is refunded, and they are armed ... at least in the Canada.

Limit your daily amounts. The lower you keep it, the less they can take. Pain in the butt, but you can call and in minutes get the daily limit increased for your immediate needs. AND immediately lowered back down;
    Advise both the credit card companies and banks when you will be travelling and be specific on places/dates; if your flight is delayed - call them! It's usually free! It's always worth it
    Check your accounts regularly (more than once a week) - even/particularly when abroad
    Clear your browsing history IMMEDIATELY once you are done checking (On the tool bar Tools/Internet Options/Browsing History - and clear the cookies and everything - wipe that sucker out!)
    Report immediately any suspicious activity
    It's just 21st Century common sense now!

Actually, you may be surprised how co-operative banks and credit card companies are when you pro-actively go to them for this stuff.

All that said, I still go bullitsic when the bank calls and asks "Were you in Timbuctu buying furniture last week?" WHAAAT? No F)$%^ing Way!!!! Who did this to me!!!!!!"

Scottish genes .... real close my $$$$

User Info Menu

I was told by scotia canada i had to be canadian to open an account but they are partnered with bank of america and can use the atm for free!

User Info Menu

Many of us have had stories like this.......

suggestion: Do Not, under any circumstances let your card out of your sight, be it in a restaurant, bank, store, anywhere. Even in a bank, employees have been known to swipe the card out of your view and make phony charges with an accomplice.

User Info Menu

Used the ATM,s last week several times Scotiabank only, I have the Scotiabank app on my phone, and receive email notification for every transaction.
    Trip #59 most of February