Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flow Cellphone Provider Refused to Sell Me a SIM card

User Info Menu

Flow Cellphone Provider Refused to Sell Me a SIM card

Stopped at "Flow" Jamaican cellphone provider (formerly known as "Lime")at Mega Mart to get SIM for my unlocked iPhone. They refused to sell to me because I didn't have a Jamaican ID (refused to sell to tourists). Never had that problem before - they usually require my passport but never had a hassle before.

I'll try again after I get to Negril this weekend.

Did any of you have this problem?

User Info Menu

Re: Flow Cellphone Provider Refused to Sell Me a SIM card

Wow, never had an issue with Digicel island wide.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ras Walleye View Post
    Wow, never had an issue with Digicel island wide.
    Same thing happened to me at Mega Mart last April, though it was Digicel, not Flow. I had a local with me, so she used her ID to make it happen. Once presented the agent challenged her too, though I helped her understand that she was Jamaican born and a business owner. Now I'm wondering if this is a Mega Mart policy, as I have yet to read or hear about it happening elsewhere. But yet I have read of several issues at the Mega Mart in Mobay. Later in the year I had no issue getting a new Digicel sim at the Negril location.

User Info Menu

i DIDN'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM LAST YEAR WHEN I GOT MY PHONES TOPPED UP AND NEW SIMS PUT IN @ mEGA MART bUT THEY WHERE PHONES BOUGHT AT LIME (nEGRIL) A FEW YEARS AGO.

User Info Menu

if you buy a phone from Digicel or Lime you will never have a problem getting a Sim Card........
    Digicel and Lime stores are franchises and make most of der money on phone sales....
    as right now you can get a sim card at the Negril Digicel franchise store without buying a phone.....
    in da past when dem low on Sim cards at the Negril Digicel store.......they wouldn't sell dem.....
    never have had a problem getting a Lime sim card without buying a phone......bought about a dozen sim cards so far.....lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    bought about a dozen sim cards so far.....lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Can't the same SIM card be used year after year? If not, why not?

User Info Menu

I had a Lime SIM in my phone from last year - but I let the minutes expire. So I think I need a new SIM now.

User Info Menu

I'm sure they just didn't want to mess with selling just a SIM. I'll try to get that fixed in Negril next week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Craig123 View Post
    Can't the same SIM card be used year after year? If not, why not?
    If the phone has not been used or topped up for a few months, the SIM becomes inactive. Happened to me once and even though my number hadn't been reassigned they wouldn't let me keep it.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

I'm planning to buy Jamaican phone and sim card for first time this year, so interesting info here, thanks. As I understand it, during the year you can buy extra credit for sim card during the year to keep it active - like small amount, $5-10. Someone posted this in last month or so.
    [http://www.TickerFactory.com/]