Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best time to buy airline tickets?

User Info Menu

Re: Best time to buy airline tickets?

Quote Originally Posted by sammyb View Post
    but for Christmas travel I usually book early like June or July. If you can book with Southwest if the price changes you can rebook with no fee.
    I like this idea. I've been checking everyday and the prices have been going up! I've never travelled to Negril during Christmas and a little anxious as what to expect for airfare. Southwest isn't booking until June so I have some time.

Thanks for all the great information!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LindyLou View Post
    Traveling on December 22nd back to Negril for Christmas. When is the best time to buy airline tickets? Already reserved my room and was suprised that I had a hard time finding a room for that time frame. TIA
    Tuesday, but keep watching them, they go down as departure nears....Southwest and JetBlue

User Info Menu

I would get them ASAP especially for that month
    Deanna (aka DeeDee from NY)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deanna View Post
    I would get them ASAP especially for that month
    Really?? That's what I've been afraid of. Still think I'm going to take my chances with Southwest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danabana12 View Post
    ... they go down as departure nears....Southwest and JetBlue
    I noticed this one time: Late Winter (late Feb & March, maybe into April) Southwest schedules Saturday nonstop flights from Milwaukee (MKE) to Montego Bay. Early on they only offer Premium and Business Select (or whatever they are called) at a high price. This year I checked closer to departure and they were offering 'coach' tickets for around $120 less.

User Info Menu

Always remember though... if you have a preferred airline, and you find that the price doesn't seem to be coming down, it may be because of heavy bookings. Keep an eye on those seating charts! They won't start filling a second flight just because one is already filled up! We got lucky this time... found two of the last five seats available for tomorrow's Delta 2:00 arrival, and we're fortunate find two seats together.

User Info Menu

I check prices everyday before we book. I check both Southwest and Delta at least once or twice a day. The prices will eventually drop, if even just for a day. I've never paid more than $450 round trip. This year I was patient and got both tickets for $393pp round trip out of Nashville. If you are diligent, it pays to be patient.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

I don't think there are any rules about "book on Tuesday", "book 40 days out", etc. that are reliable.

The first question is, do you care about exactly when you go, what route you take, and what seats you get, or do you care only about price? I want to be in JA as early as possible on our travel day, and leave as late as possible on my return day without taking an overnight flight, so my flight choices are very limited. I also like some choice of seating. That means I book early - 4 months out, usually - and pay somewhat more than if I shopped hard for the cheapest option. I know how much I've paid in previous years, and the day I see something that is the same as or less than I paid last year, I book it.

The advice on not shopping until you're ready to buy is spot on. They know you're looking - they track the searches - and their pricing algorithms will use that information against you.

Last year, a friend's scheduled flight was cancelled, so he had to rebook 3 weeks out, and he got tickets on my same flight for 40% less than I had paid. That price lasted literally for an hour, then returned to 10% more than I had paid. So if you ever see what appears to be a really good deal, be ready to jump on it!

And my time is worth something to me, so the "it pays" is subjective. How many hours are you willing to spend to save $50.?
    Last edited by wrtiii; 04-21-2016 at 09:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wrtiii View Post
    And my time is worth something to me, so the "it pays" is subjective. How many hours are you willing to spend to save $50.?
    Hours? It takes me about 20 seconds to check flight prices on my phone. If it takes you hours you're doing it wrong. I can even do it on the toilet. Nothing like multi-tasking! Now that's productive!
    Last edited by gregandkelly63; 04-21-2016 at 06:33 PM.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ras Walleye View Post
    Most importantly, don't stress. You're buying tickets to paradise!
    This is the most stressful part of getting to paradise.