Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Bourdain visits Portland

User Info Menu

Anthony Bourdain visits Portland

realize it's been around a while but just watched on netflix. got me interested in visiting Portland . have been to over 50 visits to Negril. have stayed on cliffs and beach side . after this most recent trip for some reason i am looking for a bit of a change. considering starting in portland for a few nights to check it out and then going to negril either by plane or car. anyone else split up a trip like that and possibly be willing to discuss with me? thanks

User Info Menu

Re: Anthony Bourdain visits Portland

Same story with us although we've been to Ocho and Treasure Beach. We split Portland and Negril this Feb and had a great time in both. There is a bunch of info on Port Antonio on that thread on this page. We flew TimAir MoBay to Port Antonio then from there to Negril. Very expensive but the views are amazing - you get a totally different perspective of the topography of this beautiful country and the trip takes around an hour. Here's some video taking off from Ken Jones in Portland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY6z8O0f3b8

User Info Menu

Just got back from 3 nights in Kingston, 4 in Portland, 2 in negril and 5 in Belmont .. And 1 in Montego Bay..

User Info Menu

I go to Jamaica 3 times a year, but split the stay on only one visit because I’m hooked on Portland. Since it’s just me, I travel the Portland/Negril course economically. And although I like taking the Knutsford bus, I would LOVE to view that route from a plane just once. So if you have the opportunity to fly between the two parishes, go for it.

Bourdain’s show was nice, but trust me, it only scratched the surface of what Portland is about and the gems that are found there.

Acre after acre…mile after mile…Portland is visually stimulating. I just returned from my 9th visit there and was introduced to two new amazing sites that I will share in an up coming trip report. I know when I return again, my senses will be dazzled by more new discoveries. If you like exploring Jamaica, then you will definitely enjoy Portland.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by original spanky View Post
    realize it's been around a while but just watched on netflix. got me interested in visiting Portland . have been to over 50 visits to Negril. have stayed on cliffs and beach side . after this most recent trip for some reason i am looking for a bit of a change. considering starting in portland for a few nights to check it out and then going to negril either by plane or car. anyone else split up a trip like that and possibly be willing to discuss with me? thanks
    if i split my stays, i always do portland first and negril last. portland's landscape is different and tourism spread apart so it works to be in negril at the end and just relax . . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 541lion View Post
    Just got back from 3 nights in Kingston, 4 in Portland, 2 in negril and 5 in Belmont .. And 1 in Montego Bay..
    plsease do tell us all of it . . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    I go to Jamaica 3 times a year, but split the stay on only one visit because I’m hooked on Portland. Since it’s just me, I travel the Portland/Negril course economically. And although I like taking the Knutsford bus, I would LOVE to view that route from a plane just once. So if you have the opportunity to fly between the two parishes, go for it.

Bourdain’s show was nice, but trust me, it only scratched the surface of what Portland is about and the gems that are found there.

Acre after acre…mile after mile…Portland is visually stimulating. I just returned from my 9th visit there and was introduced to two new amazing sites that I will share in an up coming trip report. I know when I return again, my senses will be dazzled by more new discoveries. If you like exploring Jamaica, then you will definitely enjoy Portland.
    ok miss vi, please do share . . .

User Info Menu

I split my stay often have done Negril first then Portland and also the other way around. It makes more sense to do Negril at the end because of the travel time back to the airport. I drive mostly but a cheap way could be Knutsford you would just need to plan your arrival time around their shuttle departure time. Portland is truly special and worth the hassle to get there total different vibe from Negril and very lush and just plain breath taking.

User Info Menu

I will attempt a trip report very soon! Much love

User Info Menu

AllI remember from the T.V. show is that while I realize that Michael Lee Chin has a reputation as a philanthropist, I could not help but think by the way he treated Anthony Bourdain, who was a GUEST in his Trident Hotel BTW, that he (Mr. Chin) is a bit of a jerk.