Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What should we do off the resort?

User Info Menu

What should we do off the resort?

Hi,
    My girlfriend and I are traveling to Negril in a couple weeks and are staying at the Riu Negril resort. We're only going to be there from midday Friday (May 13th) until midday Tuesday (May 18th), and also we are in college and don't want to spend much more money than what we're already spending on the trip. So we are thinking of picking one day to do something off the resort. I would really like to do something that isn't too much of a commercial tourist attraction so that we can see more of the "real" Jamaica. However she's the type of person who definitely needs a clear and organized plan, so just adventuring off for a day isn't much of an option for us. One thing I was thinking of was the Bob Marley Mausoleum (obviously it's a tourist attraction, though I like that it goes into the mountains and away from the main tourist areas), but it would cost us almost an extra $200. We're also thinking we might go to Rick's Cafe one night to see the sunset. Anybody have any recommendations? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Re: What should we do off the resort?

You will see a great deal of the "real" Jamaica through the windows of your 90 minute transport that will take you through tiny hamlets and small towns and beautiful countryside each way. In Negril a visit to Rick's is probably something you should do on your first visit, but it's touristy and you might want to stay for one drink or a look around and then walk a bit more to a local cliff-side "Sunset" bar or restaurant such as L.T.U. pub. Another economical adventure would be a taxi ride to the small city of Savanna La Mar. It's about 30 minutes each way. Not really a tourist destination, but they have an interesting market place with all kinds of fruit and veggies and other items. There is a popular "pub crawl" in Negril that many people enjoy. It's a 'free' excursion to half a dozen or so West End spots and you will be picked up and dropped off at your hotel. Most people give the driver a generous tip for this service. You don't have to spend money at each stop. You can just have a soft drink or water, if you want to avoid too much alcohol. That's just a few low-cost outings you many enjoy. There are many other options.
    Last edited by Big_frank; 05-02-2016 at 07:16 AM.

User Info Menu

If you only plan to spend one day off the resort, I might suggest that you simply take a taxi ride to the heart of 7 Mile Beach (Sun beach is a good place to start) and walk the beach. The experience that you will get walking the public beach is vastly different than the one you will get on the resort. It's understandable that you paid for all-inclusive and that you want to get your money's worth, so if you only have time for one "excursion" I wouldn't discount a day on the beach. You can stop at the various bars/restaurants, take in some live music, browse the vendors and maybe jump on a glass bottom boat ride. This is an excursion that will cost you only what you are willing to spend at the various venues.

Aside from the beach, I would also suggest the One Love Pub Crawl on the West End. This will only cost you a tip to the driver and whatever you spend drinking at each bar.
    http://negril.com/nt/nt091914.htm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    If you only plan to spend one day off the resort, I might suggest that you simply take a taxi ride to the heart of 7 Mile Beach (Sun beach is a good place to start) and walk the beach. The experience that you will get walking the public beach is vastly different than the one you will get on the resort. It's understandable that you paid for all-inclusive and that you want to get your money's worth, so if you only have time for one "excursion" I wouldn't discount a day on the beach. You can stop at the various bars/restaurants, take in some live music, browse the vendors and maybe jump on a glass bottom boat ride. This is an excursion that will cost you only what you are willing to spend at the various venues.

Aside from the beach, I would also suggest the One Love Pub Crawl on the West End. This will only cost you a tip to the driver and whatever you spend drinking at each bar.
    Beach and Pub crawl are what I'd recommend (pub crawl will give you more of the "real" that you're looking for) for your situation. Since you're only there for a short stay, neither will eat the whole day if you dont want it to. Meaning, you can jump in a cab at any point and only be 10/15 minutes from the resort. Whereas if you took a true day trip, there's no rip cord to pull.

User Info Menu

Definitely, LTU's Over Rick's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Definitely, LTU's Over Rick's
    Eh, for a first timer I'd disagree. Ricks is worth a trip at least once, just don't spend any money there.
    To the OP, I'd consider a taxi down to the Blue Hole in Brighton, or Mayfields falls which is maybe a 30 minute ride out of town, and you will see the countryside and get a little bit of a "feel" for rural Jamaica.

User Info Menu

I think the pub crawl & then get dropped off at Ricks. After that go to LTU for a
    Night cap. Another option is to hire Linston for the day. Maybe go to the falls and the Pelican bar. Or have him just give you a tour of Negril Cliffs and Beach..

User Info Menu

Get dropped off at margville and walk the beach. (Go south). Lots of bars and stuff. You'll have fun.

User Info Menu

High! The previous comments are good. When you are at the Riu club hotel, would you do us a favor? Go to the lobby bar , and say HI to Paul Sundal {The world famous singing bartender} He's really good. From Todd & Deb. Have fun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post

7 Mile Beach might be a good idea, that way we can have a general area to explore at our leisure. The Pub Crawl definitely sounds interesting, but we're not big drinkers at home, do you think it would be worth it?

Also, I'm a big fan of the ganja and when I was there with my family a few years ago and was underage I got some tourist grade weed from a guy on the beach, what would a better option be?