Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medical Care alternatives?

User Info Menu

Re: Medical Care alternatives?

captaind: "However, if I have the "BIG ONE" Miss G says my remains will stay in Jamaica "land we love"

There in lies the rub or rather the lack of cardiac compressions. If you're in a really bad accident, medieval is probably your best hope after being stabilized. The bigger question is how many people in Negril know CPR? How many AED's in close proximity? I wonder how many heart attacks occur in Negril annually and how many survive? Just my head is made of stone. My heart is still muscle and blood. Perhaps I should start a cremation thread! Respect --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

Negril really needs a 24/7 emergency medical outpost where at least you can be stabilized before being sent to a hospital. The ambulance sounds like it may or may not come in short order so there needs to be an alternative to service both locals and tourist alike.

JMHO

User Info Menu

I fell out of a rum tree last year, and cracked a rib Dr, Grant is available up by the Hilo, 60 bucks for an office visit, not bad, although not much could be done for my injury, (ice it and take Tylenol, and drink a lot of booze for the pain
    I wonder if anyone has heard if the defibulator that we all raised money to buy was ever used, I was going to ask Nurse Marcia when I saw her in April, but forgot ! I hope it wasn't needed, but good to know that it was available, if needed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Comforts of Home Nursing View Post
    This project for Negril International Hospital has dropped long time ago. I volunteered for NIH, but it never got off ground. Clinics close in the evening here and it requires some planning for care at night in Negril. The most important thing is getting someone there ASAP, then make a plan! You won't know whats open (time of day) and whats running as far as ambulances until the time comes. Until we have 24 hour facility we do our best here in Negril! It is great to see people asking questions and planning ahead. I always advise to carry ONE credit card and cash along with insurance proof, but many do not cover out of the country events. Please check ahead of time and check travel insurance options for reimbursement. Nurse Beth
    I was going to suggest calling Beth for any preliminary emergency treatments and illness and to assist in stabilizing the patient..... I believe she is able to set you up with the local physician too if it is something that can be taken care of locally....

User Info Menu

I have often thought about this very topic. Many years ago I was in Negril with a friend who one day came down with terrible pain in his side. I hired a taxi and we carried him to the hospital in SAV. At that time staffed mostly by Cubans so very little English spoken which made things difficult. Anyway he was stabilized and after a couple day stay released. They were unable to determine the cause of his illness. When he got back stateside he determined it was kidney stones.

At that time I asked myself what if something really bad happened what would you do??? I live in New England and there are still some very rural areas here mostly in the north of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine where there are very few people and in some cases no cell service. If someone had the misfortune of a heart attack or other extreme emergency, that most likely would be fatal.

I realize that is not a fair comparison with Jamaica and in this case Negril because of the amount of people that either live in or frequent JA. I guess if you are a tourist travel insurance would slightly increase the odds of surviving a medical emergency. But as others have pointed out if the problem is time sensitive (heart attack) not having emergency care nearby would be hard to survive.

It seems to me that those who have the most to gain, especially in Negril, such as the big companies that own multiple properties would be in a position to help build a comprehensive 24/7 emergency outpost such as halfwaytree suggests.

Rob, what happens when this kind of topic is discussed in the meetings with businesses in Negril and their government counterparts??? Do they have any kind of plan, short or long term to address this reality??

Thanks,
    johng

User Info Menu

Medevac not medieval! Curses, autocorrect!

Quote Originally Posted by Marblehead View Post
    captaind: "However, if I have the "BIG ONE" Miss G says my remains will stay in Jamaica "land we love"

There in lies the rub or rather the lack of cardiac compressions. If you're in a really bad accident, medieval is probably your best hope after being stabilized. The bigger question is how many people in Negril know CPR? How many AED's in close proximity? I wonder how many heart attacks occur in Negril annually and how many survive? Just my head is made of stone. My heart is still muscle and blood. Perhaps I should start a cremation thread! Respect --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Johng,

This thread was started about 6 months ago. I think I answered your question above previously in this thread. Please read through my posts and see if they answer you. If you have any further questions, please post them.

Marblehead,

While there can never be too many people who know CPR, Negril does have quite a few people who have been trained. Each resort is required to have at least one trained staff member in CPR. Many have multiple people who have been trained in group sessions.

All life guards have medical training. Likewise with all dive instructors. i am friends with a dive instructor who conducts classes each month, the average numbers for his classes are between 10 to 15 at a time. We are planning on taking the class.

There are defibrillator units at some of the resorts and certified personel trained in their operation. This is not a requirement but the government has set up the certification so that resorts have this as an option for their guests.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Yes Rob,

I did read through your posts and saw your comments, and they do answer me. I guess that I had hoped that perhaps there was something in the works otherwise. From several comments, your own included, the reality is the risk vs reward of visiting or living in Negril (and rural Jamaica).

Thanks

Administrator

User Info Menu

And rural anywhere, rural US as well. Your comparison may not apply to Jamaica as a whole (Kingston is big city) but certainly applies to rural areas, Negril included.

What is in the works are upgrades to the Sav public hospital and more prompt service to get there since that serves 10s of thousands of people on a yearly basis.

As my post about Couples donation for natal care shows, the upgrades are taking place.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

The defibrillator, purchased with money raised by people on this board and other sources, was put into service in May, 2016 after the EMS staff of Negril and Sav Fire Stations were trained on the new machine.
    Gail Jackson at Tree House also has a new Defibrillator and her staff were also trained.

FYI - the training was not provided by the government for either machine.