Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Canadian killed on westend friday night.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Canadian killed on westend friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    What insult? The Snake Pit comment was clearly a joke aimed at you (and had nothing to do with the topic at hand), since you're from Columbus (you've mentioned this in the past) and I'm obviously a Michigan fan.
    TAH,

I respect Michigan and U of M and have enjoyed many games in The Big House. Your insult was not clearly a joke especially when you start a post with "I absolutely loathe this type of argument." Vince even commented that things are getting out of control here. Please keep your posts civil at this time of tragedy. Thank you for your understanding.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

My heartfelt condolences and prayers go out to the family, friends and loved ones of Mr. Palakai.

My heart goes out to all those in the community who have been impacted by this heinous shooting.

Not to defend my position or justify it, but I’ve been visiting Negril for more than ten years. I was a principal in the Negril Map project. My love for Negril and it’s people runs very deep. I have come to this forum as I am sure many of you have for more information. This incident has struck me at my core! I’m sad. I’m angry. Desperate for answers.

I am not blind to the goings on and worry about my friends in Negril and surrounding areas all the time. In my opinion it is far more dangerous for Jamaicans on the Island than tourists.

What is particularly unsettling for me as I am sure is the same for many of you.. I have walked that stretch of road more times than I can count. Not that it was robbery, we do not know this with any certainty, but if it was it could easily have been me. My wife (Tailwag) is a huge animal lover and despite my begging she always carries a bag so she has treats with her, particularly for the cats and dogs which call the Westend home. She loves doing this as much I love walking that road.

What troubles me further is this incident and the killings of the two missionaries last month (May 2016) in the parish of St. Mary. How could the missionaries, each a resident of Jamaica for five and fourteen years respectively, not know the goings on. Where not to go, who not to mix it up with, etc.

Certainly some of this comes down to being in the wrong place at the wrong time. While I do not wish to allow thugs to influence my life, I am also careful as to where I go. At home there are certainly neighborhoods I avoid, I’m just not certain I want to add Westend Road to the list yet.

I have not made a decision to change our Fall trip yet, still counting my sleeps. Likkle more!

-Seamuis
    Last edited by Seamuis; 06-14-2016 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Misti1 View Post
    Fairly well stated with some proper call outs. I too have not seen the "courtesy corps officers" (tourist police) do anything of value, most just walk down the beach at a snail's pace with the occasional stop to BS with someone. Outside of given the random tourist a little peace of mind, the investment in their presence is suspect.

I was on the same beach as Jojo in April, with her at times, and have a different perspective. I saw more cops in uniform walking the beach this trip than I recall in all other trips combined. Outside of a road block I do not recall seeing much of a police presence anywhere else. You do see the cops on the West End at night, driving with their flashing lights and closing places down.

It is going to take a huge investment in officers and resources to make a dent in the activity of the thugs. The officials better get on it quick as tourist dollars will simply go elsewhere.

User Info Menu

http://iriefm.net/tourism-ministry-r...-resort-areas/

Another news item... not about the murder specifically but about attempts to make resort areas more secure.

User Info Menu

This really hits me in the gut, could have very easily been my wife and myself. Just stayed a stones throw from that spot 2 weeks ago, and walked the road often. Will definitely influence my decisions of future travel. We did have a hard time sleeping a few nights, constant loud motorcycle traffic late at night. As much as I love visiting Negril, I will not be back soon, if at all, because of this.

User Info Menu

Rob, You are exactly right this was directed toward you. I should have mentioned that. I truly did not mean to start any problems. I love this board. Give Lisa a kiss from me.

User Info Menu

Negril Chamber of Commerce posted excellent letter today on FB. Hope it gets the attention it deserves.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

BostonBob...Misti posted the link yesterday afternoon...back on page 10 here on Negril.com.

User Info Menu

Thanks Lisa. I missed it.