Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Canadian killed on westend friday night.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Canadian killed on westend friday night.

This the latest news from the Observer. The victim was Denis Balaki, his father's name is Andre. One bike was involved. The article goes on to state the police efforts from the start of the year to eliminate the motorcycle menace. We extend our condolences to the Balaki family.

http://securejam.mediaspanonline.com...ampdown-_64052

As more comes to light we will keep everyone informed.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
    everyone here, in Negril, is trying to protect the economic back bone of this area for sure.
    Perhaps we should try to protect the PEOPLE first? More Love....

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
    Perhaps we should try to protect the PEOPLE first? More Love....
    Goldie,

The economic backbone of Negril are the people, locals and visitors alike.

User Info Menu

but not necessarily the priority of the government ...sorry Rob,....been going since 1966....half a century samdeole same ole

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    but not necessarily the priority of the government ...sorry Rob,....been going since 1966....half a century samdeole same ole
    Marco,

This isn't 1966. But I can say for a fact that the entire world has changed in the last half century. Negril, not having any legal municipality status is subject to other government agencies. The Chamber as well as others have been trying for years to remedy this situation.

Please read the Chamber links posted by Misti and BostonBob.

User Info Menu

UPDATE: Suspects identified in killing of Canadian tourist Good news to hear from the The Gleaner
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/artic...nadian-tourist

So....for all you people out there that have been saying, "the cops are useless", "cops are no good", "cops are corrupt". Well how that, these useless corrupt cops have suspects now. In fact, it seems to me that the police in Negril have suspects or have made arrests in more serious cases that not. Now they have suspects in this case and I would suspect an arrest will be made soon.

The police in Negril are doing a hard job with what they have for resources and are still able to identify suspects. This because they don't go on the web and listen to fabrication, un-truths, and made up stories. They identify suspects by way of good old fashioned police work. They identify witnesses, they take statements, they investigate tips, and put boots on the ground. Perhaps us as "friends of Negril", could do more that get on Rob's back for just wanting the facts, and maybe we should be lobbying the Negril Chamber of Commerce, or the Westmoreland Parish Council for more police. Perhaps we should should spend less time saying the white hat Tourist Board Security are useless, and be lobbying the Jamaican government for more of them. Perhaps we should be thanking them for a job well done and remember that a constable standing at the roadside, or a tourist police standing on the beach are still doing their job.

Also, please, please remember that someone died. While discussions go on by people who don't know what went on and just heard from a friend or someone that saw this on the internet, we need to that a moment of pause and think about the victim and the victims family. We need to d everything in our power to see that it doesn't happen again. Criticizing the police and tourist cops solve absolutely nothing.

User Info Menu

Browns54....Well said

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Brown it is great the authorities have a suspect. I never complained about corruption with respect to the police as I feel that is something I could not support as being factual. The point is that, as you point out, there needs to be more resources to prevent killings rather than catching those who have killed. The latter is a deterrent but police presence and a robust proactive stance would be far better. Great that they have skills to catch my potential killer but that does little to help me if I were dead. The number of murders this year alone sometimes suggests strongly the need for stepped up measures to stop the killings not just to catch the killers. Also, your loyalty to the Board is remarkable and I would say that nobody was on Rob's back about assuring facts but instead everyone was expressing their feelings the best they could in an effort to bring about change. There was no effort to sensationalize the matter but rather effort to share thoughts in a discussion that Rob helps to keep on track and that can provide perspective as needed.

User Info Menu

The Negril police are doing a LOT more than you know or will see. I am not going to elaborate because I know better than to do so on this board. This is not hearsay , I have friends who have been involved. so knowledge is first hand. Some of the methods they are using would set the ACLU on fire in the US, but they are handling things the Jamaican way. Some individuals whom they feel do not belong in the area will be graciously exported for one. As mentioned in a recent article over 600 illegal bikes have been seized along with other vehicles. If you do not see a correlation to the crime rate, that is ok. Having friends in the department and on the street I am well aware of what is going on. With limited resources I think they are doing the best they can. I also see where another 100 officers are in training to be dispatched to tourist areas, so doing the math, I assume at least 30 apiece for Negril, Ochii, Mobay. Two suspects have been identified and are being sought in the death of the Real Estate Broker from Canada. Just wanted to say that they are trying the best they can right now.