Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian killed on westend friday night.

User Info Menu

Re: Canadian killed on westend friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerican71 View Post
    BUT if there was no attempted robbery, then doesn't this mean it was a random shooting?

I am no where close to even considering canceling my plans, but I totally understand those that do and will. My blood family, chosen family, friends and all of Jamaica will continue to suffer until big changes are made.
    There can be more reasons to a shooting than robbery or a random event.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    There can be more reasons to a shooting than robbery or a random event.
    okay, that's true. It's sad no matter what speculation or rumor you believe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irieonline View Post
    My appologies for using the word we and including you in what i believe and have edited my post so as not to offend anyone or include them in what i believe. Cheerssss
    Thanks. I appreciate that but I wasn't trying to offend you either. I have lived long enough in Jamaica not to take "suss" as a fact. A good Jamaican friend of mine once said that every Jamaican wants to answer every question. He said, "Either with what he thinks, knows, what others are saying or just an answer he thinks you want to hear."

We have to be careful not to do the same. First the police say it was an attempted robbery and then that it wasn't then Marco says his "friends" told him how it happened and that it was a robbery. There are no answers yet just questions, opinions and feelings.

There have been a couple of similar Jamaican on Jamaican killings in St. Elizabeth lately. Both were finally attributed to lottery scams in one fashion or another. Somebody always knows the truth but you have to sift through a lot of "suss" before you know exactly what that is.

Patience. It has only been a couple of days and in the US they probably would already have someone in custody. In Jamaica it may just take a "likkle longer". You know, "Soon Come".

It was a tourist so someone will eventually pay for doing this.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Jamerican71 said:

"I am no where close to even considering canceling my plans,"

Jamerican71, please consider not walking on the West End Road at night.

Stay safe.

User Info Menu

We have had a "rash " of murders here in Fargo the last year...more then we have ever had. I am not moving out of Fargo because of it nor will I stop going to Negril because of this. Thugs cannot and should not dictate to us how we live our lives. If we choose to live our lives in a perpetual state of fear..we are giving up on our freedoms and also our enjoyment of the precious thing called life..Irie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    visited Negril for 30 years(yeah, I am old) and to deny things have not changed and to deny that it is more dangerous than before does a disservice to all.....those who have not been familiar with these changes need to know the truth so that they can make educated decisions. While this board is an excellent resource for learning what is available in Negril, it also needs to be transparent as to the real Negril 2016
    AMEN....I find that there is a strong level of protection from this board with regards to Negril (understandable) but THE TRUTH IS THE LIGHT and everyone is entitled to their own opinion about traveling to Negril. And, we all have to admit Negril has become more dangerous over the last 10 years.

User Info Menu

One last statement, all over the United States, the younger generation have less respect for authority and life!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Georgie View Post
    Jamerican71 said:

"I am no where close to even considering canceling my plans,"

Jamerican71, please consider not walking on the West End Road at night.

Stay safe.
    Thanks for the reminder but I've never walked that road day or night and I never will. I never understood why anybody would walk that road with all the speeding cars, no safe area to walk and it being dark. Cabs are super inexpensive and well worth it to pay to get from point A to point B and every point in between.

User Info Menu

well most here are considering this a robbery gone bad.....purse snatching incident that went sour......

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerican71 View Post
    Thanks for the reminder but I've never walked that road day or night and I never will. I never understood why anybody would walk that road with all the speeding cars, no safe area to walk and it being dark.
    To each their own, but it's really the best part of Negril to me. I have little use for the beach. I've got great beaches at home. The people, the sights, the sounds of the west end can really be best appreciated on foot and I love to walk. If I felt it was unsafe, it would certainly make a difference as to if and when I return.

I appreciate Negril.com leaving this thread so we can get as much information as possible, while keeping in mind that even news stories may or may not be wholly accurate. Sure, crime happens everywhere, but at home I know when and where I need to be concerned. Only with information can we begin to know this about travel destinations. The widespread fear in the US that Jamaica is very dangerous has historically been based on too little information, not too much.