Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotiabank atm question

User Info Menu

Scotiabank atm question

Sorry if this has been posted before...

What is the amount of money you can withdraw in one transaction? What is the rate/fee?

My bank has $600 per day and $0 fee.

Thank you!!!!!

User Info Menu

Re: Scotiabank atm question

30,000 at a time. But you can do it over and over until you reach your limit

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

if you have a scotia bank account there is NO fee. I have a $300 per day withdrawal limit which is what i wanted on my scotia bank acct. so if you set it up for higher then that's what you will be able to take out, so for me that works out to 25,000 JD per withdrawal. or about $200 US. Now if you are using a other banks card such as TD there is the service charge from the terminal you are using not sure what the fee will be cause i only used my scotia card, at their atms.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LivinInThe603 View Post
    My bank has $600 per day and $0 fee.
    Many banks have a $0 fee when using other ATM machines, but still charge an international transaction fee when in Jamaica. Check the fine print on your Debit Card agreement to see if this applies to you. I think the international transaction fee like 1.5% with some banks.

As newfiegirl59 said, the Scotia terminal does charge a fee if your card is not associated with a ScotiaBank account. For a while, I heard that the fee was waved for Bank of America accounts, but I believe that is no longer the case.

On my past couple trips, my preferred ATM machine was the NCB one next to HiLo. I found it to be less hassle and for me the fees were lower. When on the beach, I hit the Scotia ATM at Time Square.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind & Linston View Post
    30,000 at a time. But you can do it over and over until you reach your limit

Cap
    You can get 50,000 the fee I have been charged recently is 3.00 US per transaction. Go to the one all the way on the end to the right. If it will not give you 50,000 it is because it is running low on cash, but if you get 30,000 and then 20,000 oddly enough you now have 50.000 but you get charged two fees.

User Info Menu

funny story...my wife goes up to that ATM and two kids are there "offering" to tell them which one of the two atm's gives JA $......they both do!

User Info Menu

The only cost for us at NCB is the exchange rate. Today was 124.20 ...about one Ja dollar below the official rate

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Are there still problems with the ATMs being compromised?
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMoose View Post
    Are there still problems with the ATMs being compromised?
    Unfortunately, yes. We left Jamaica in mid-February, and a few weeks ago got an alert that G's card had been used. He called straight away, and it was a transaction in Mobay. We got that nixed and they cancelled his card - avoiding the 2nd fraudulent use a few minutes later.

We used both our card a the Scotia ATM in Times Square, and my card was not frauded (is that a verb now like "googling"?). He used his at the one in Sunshine Plaza twice. Mine was not used there. We figure it was there. Interestingly, he reported both times that it was difficult to get the money out - he had to tug at it. 20/20 hindsight - that was a sign the machine had been tampered with, I guess. Note to self: always check the machine for signs of tampering before using and cover your hand when you put in your NIP. Those were the only times we used our cards. The one at Time Square has Security guards at it most of the time.

We found out about the fraud quickly because our bank has an alert app you can get. It texts you whenever your card is used, and you can quickly act on it. Saves a lot of grief. Not sure if all banks have it, but we have it on our phones - 1 iPhone and 1 Android - so the app can be used on both systems.

It's a universal issue; a problem of the 21st Century - have some friends who returned from Europe with the same story from a different part of the world. Use caution everywhere - and let the same technology save your bank account by getting whatever apps and protections and alerts are out there.
    Last edited by M&G Montreal; 06-14-2016 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Bad typing skills! BooBoo!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M&G Montreal View Post
    He used his at the one in Sunshine Plaza twice. Mine was not used there. We figure it was there. Interestingly, he reported both times that it was difficult to get the money out - he had to tug at it. 20/20 hindsight - that was a sign the machine had been tampered with, I guess.
    I don't think it means the machine was tampered with. It has been my experience that some machines have a narrower dispenser for withdrawals, for sure the one at Sunshine Plaza. That one can reasonably handle 22,000. If you want some small bills, the max to request would be 13,900. The one inside NCB bank can handle more, I think at 27K I didn't have to tug it out. The Sagicor ATM next to the Cambio in in town may be able to handle 30 or 28.