Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Body of a snorkeler found in Negril

User Info Menu

Re: Body of a snorkeler found in Negril

From 2005-2014, there were an average of 3,536 fatal unintentional drownings (non-boating related) annually in the United States — about ten deaths per day.1 An additional 332 people died each year from drowning in boating-related incidents.2
    Sometimes accidents happen. Victim blaming is not always the best thing. If people were meant to survive easily in the water, they would be born in the water not on the land. It was probably an accident.
    Last edited by Flipadelphia26; 07-07-2016 at 09:24 AM.

User Info Menu

I dont think anyone was blaming the victim here. Think people were just pointing out that it can be dangerous and there are many different ways a person can get into trouble and possibly die in the water. Its very unfortunate and sad no matter how it happened and my heart goes out to the victims family. For all the boardies here who do snorkel and partake in different activities in and around the waters in Jamaica please use common sence and be safe. If you cant go with a partner please tell someone where you are going and maybe also tell them how long you expect to be. Have fun and be safe

User Info Menu

Gotta agree with flip here... I do it alone often and sometimes I've been a bit buzzed...more often sober in the morning ...... I agree with the fact that this was more than likely an accident... At the end of the day, it is about personal responsibility... Like many of us, I'm an experienced snorkler and I can judge the water... Many can't.. To the newcomers I strongly suggest heeding the advice of much of the above and tell someone... Personally, I like to go it alone and there is always someone who knows... Gotta tip someone to watch the cellphone and wallet!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irieonline View Post
    Glad to hear it wasnt you Marko. When i first reqd the article i first thought of you because i know you snorkel every day of the shore in the west end. I try to go daily of the beach at canoe bar and go by myself most of the time. Sometimes my gf sits on the beach while i do my thing in the water and the rest of the time the ladies at canoe bar know i am out there but one can never be to safe. I do take precautions like always go early in the mornings when the water is calm and there is usually other people snorkeling there as well. A few times i followed the fishermen with their spearguns around so if something did happen to me help is never to far away.
    Yes...good to hear as this was my first thought as well.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

had a great snorkel yesterday as usual.....from Pe Wees to the Spa and back.....no fins.....who needs dem.....lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

There aren't any real currents to speak of in that area, so not really necessary per se, but I never encourage anyone into deep water without fins. The first time you hit a real current could be the last.

User Info Menu

For those that snorkel/ swim alone with no flotation device. Alcohol. Dehydration. = leg cramps. Cramps will take down the best of swimmers.