Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Question about smoking laws in Negril and on resorts

User Info Menu

Question about smoking laws in Negril and on resorts

Since my last visit to Negril 5 years ago it appears there have been laws changed about smoking. We stayed at CSA and smoked both tobacco and Jamaica's finest regularly on our balcony with no issues at all. It now appears it is illegal to do that. Do all the resorts enforce this or do some look away? We were going to book a stay SATP but appears from what ive been reading they are very strict about both. Does anyone have any info they can share about this resort or about any AI resort where it will not be a problem. Being able to partake is a big part of coming there LOL. Any info will be appreciated.

User Info Menu

Re: Question about smoking laws in Negril and on resorts

I stayed at Merrills and Foote Prints last feb and had no issues smoking tobacco on my balcony, I don't smoke weed so can't tell you on that. The only No Smoking signs I ever saw posted were in public areas like restaurants and hotel lobbies. People were smoking at bars too and all had ash trays. I would suggest calling the hotel and see what their policy is..

Administrator

User Info Menu

There are "no smoking" laws in Jamaica, island wide. The reason they were implemented was to create a safe, healthy workplace for the employees after universal health care was enacted. In air conditioned establishments and places with children, this was a common sense necessity. And in restaurants, not smoking is the polite thing to do.

While this is the law, based on a recent news article, only a handful of tickets have been issued. If caught, you are generally asked to put out the cigarette, and if you refuse the nice officer, you can expect a not so nice ticket... (grin)

In many open air establishments, as long as children are not around smoking is allowed.

If you call any hotel, please remember that small amounts of ganja are not legal, just decriminalized. Rather than an arrest and court date, you get a ticket and a fine, but no police record unless you dont pay the fine. Any hotel or restaurant would be foolish to suggest over the phone that you are allowed to smoke ganja in their establishment. There are still no legal ganja "coffee" houses in Jamaica yet, but that may be changing soon.

As for SATP, they have designated smoking areas, and smoking in their wooden rooms and wooden balconies is prohibited for obvious reasons.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sc_dixiedude View Post
    Since my last visit to Negril 5 years ago it appears there have been laws changed about smoking. We stayed at CSA and smoked both tobacco and Jamaica's finest regularly on our balcony with no issues at all. It now appears it is illegal to do that. Do all the resorts enforce this or do some look away? We were going to book a stay SATP but appears from what ive been reading they are very strict about both. Does anyone have any info they can share about this resort or about any AI resort where it will not be a problem. Being able to partake is a big part of coming there LOL. Any info will be appreciated.
    i had two stays at satp . . . no problem if you are smoking on your balcony . . . however, not in public areas like the bar . . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sc_dixiedude View Post
    You won't have any issues at CSA smoking on the balcony. In fact, they put out ash trays on the balcony table for guests to use. I've also heard SATP is more strict regarding the new laws, however.

User Info Menu

Stayed at merrills 2 in april and smoked ciggaretes and jamaicas finest on my balcony. Ashtrays were provided on the balconies and you could smoke on the patio near the pool. You jist couldnt smoke in the dinning area that was under the roof. Found that alot of bars and restruants didnt enforce the no smoking laws and those were the ones we spent out time at

User Info Menu

Since I just returned yesterday after a 12 day reach, I can claim first hand that ganja is opening sold and smoked, as well as edibles at many vendors. Activity is opening on the street and locals bars and food huts. Some restaurants have no smoking of any kind policies clearly posted. Resorts are/will postied as to their choice. However I highly doubt that the tolerance that has existed previously will change for most. It is a big part of Jamaican tourist industry. If you are that concerned, inquiring directly to the resort you plan to stay would be best. There are ones now that opening advertise they are ganja friendly. The laws for the medical purpose use only (which can be self declared-lol) and allow up to two ounces in ones possession. Note that though these are the laws that are said to have been passed already and permits are or being applied for (the Jamaica observer newspaper has articles to view on line for more specific info.) I believe I it will take some time, soon come, Jamaican time, for these to actually be signed. But in the interim business is going as if the papers were already signed. Neither I nor anyone I saw had any troubles.....actually in all the years Ive been, neither I nor anyone I know has had any problems. Nothing has really changed IMO, just more open now and the government looking to get into the profits.
    Last edited by Anabeth; 09-08-2016 at 01:57 PM.