Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to figure out the cell phone thing...

User Info Menu

Trying to figure out the cell phone thing...

Doing last minute planning for my impending reach this week. The only thing I have not taken care of is the cell phone issues. I am not totally savvy on this topic and would love some advise from the experts. Was just going to leave my phone home, but realize it will be needed occasionally. My question is, will I be able to buy a plan that will work on an iPhone which does have a SIM card but is currently with another carrier that does not have international service. Can I assume I could just buy a sim for that to use while in JA. Will it affect the phone when I return?Or is it best to just bring and use my galaxy no longer connected to a service...it then being my toss or giveaway....I know there is something about unlocking because of cdma or GSM, is that going to be a factor? I have read up , and if locked , pretty sure I can do the unlock myself.
    I would appreciate any advise or insight...
    Last edited by Anabeth; 08-25-2016 at 08:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Re: Trying to figure out the cell phone thing...

Anabeth, follow the link below to a prior discussion on your post:

http://negril.com/forum/showthread.p...light=digicell

Good luck,

VVHT

User Info Menu

Thank you VVHT for the help.
    If I am understanding what I read, since I do have an iPhone 6, I should simply be able to purchase a SIM card from digacel as they do support both CDMA and GSM. I will reread tomorrow to make sure I got it right and didn't miss anything.
    Ultimately I'd really love to just unplug completely and leave it home...but fortunately not possible as work will follow me wherever I try to hide....retirement sounds better everyday...getting closer lol

User Info Menu

Yes, if you have an iPhone 6 all you need to do is by a Digicel sim and you're good to go. Add minutes as you need them and they also have a decent data plan if you want that.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

If your phone is still on contract and was not purchased unlocked, most likely it is locked to your carrier and will not work with a different SIM.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Thanks Ras WAlleye and Moose
    I am not under any contract...gave that up years ago when Nextel went wayward with Sprint. Just go with whoever has best service and cheap everything plans. Had Virgin Mobile for a few years until, again Sprint got involved and botched up that service too. SO now it is Straight Talk....until they too displease me lol. GOt the iPhone because of the SIM card and easier to switch carriers if needed. Wasn't thinking international at the time, but turns out a good decision!
    WIll confirm tomorrow once we land!
    Walk good

User Info Menu

Hi Anabeth, also see my thread about the plans here:

Digicel Plans

Just remember, their Voice/Texting and Data plans are separate.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMoose View Post
    If your phone is still on contract and was not purchased unlocked, most likely it is locked to your carrier and will not work with a different SIM.

~Moose
    Moose, all Verizon iPhones come unlocked from the start. I can't speak for other carriers.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

We had hoped to purchase a sim card for digicel and found that they were out of stock when we arrived, so ended up buying a cheap phone and have been topping it up every 3 months for less than $5 US - great advice from the folks here!

User Info Menu

I bought a Jamaica Digisel phone for about 50 bucks. Put a new sim in each year for 10 bucks add in some minutes for more bucks.
    I use it for taxis...I call you when I finish dinner. 21st Century...I love it.