Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Digicel voice plan?

User Info Menu

Question Best Digicel voice plan?

Hi all, ran a search but didn't find much info on a recommended rate plan from Digicel to use to call back to the States.

It looks like they offer three rate plans: http://www.digicelgroup.com/jm/en/mo...aid-plans.html

LOVE A GREAT DEAL? - The GIMME 5 PLAN is for you. With per second billing to call any local or international number and up to 500 FREE text messages.

LOVE QUICK CALLS? - The 2.95 PLAN is for you. Pay JMD 2.95 per minute with per second billing to call any local number, USA or Canada or UK landlines.

LOVE LONG CALLS? - The 2.89 SWEET PLAN is for you. Pay JMD 2.89 per minute with per minute billing to call any local Digicel number

It looks like the 2.95 plan may be the winner here. What do you all think? Did I miss something that would make a different plan more attractive?

Thanks,
    Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Re: Best Digicel voice plan?

I've used the 2.95 plans for the last three years

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Thanks Cap!

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

Administrator

User Info Menu

same here....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

And in case anyone searches and finds this thread, they have a great Data plan:

Name of Plan: 2 Day Starter Plus

Subscription Fee (JMD): $130

Data Bundle Included: 225MB

Free Services Included: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Whatsapp, Wikipedia

Days Allotted: 2 days

Interactive Service Menu: *143*55#

Activation details: *147#

~Moose
    Mi Irie

User Info Menu

I have the GIMME 5 plan. I spent about 1000J on my last 8 day trip, and that included a couple 10 minute calls to my bank in the States when they decided to block my ATM card for suspicious activity (apparently they don't like when I make 2 consecutive transactions because the ATM's per transaction limit is well below my daily limit - but I digress).

I turned on that data plan one time, but it wasn't worth using on the old BlackBerry we have. For our next trip, I'm going to pick-up a refirb iPhone 4 or maybe a Blu smartphone from ebay.

User Info Menu

Mike,

I brought my old iPhone 4s last trip and unfortunately it did not last a full day (of course it was not a refurb though). I'd highly recommend a cheap BLU smartphone so you're getting something new. I've seen some for around $50 on Amazon, or there are some decent ones available right from Digicel in that neighborhood.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

User Info Menu

Being a bit confused about the plans myself, when I went in to the shop down by the roundabout, I told the girl that I needed local phone minutes and texting, and she set me up with 1000 minutes for about $1,000 J (maybe 1250), can't recall the text credit. I have no idea what plan but I came home with minutes (11 day trip) and finished them off at home with roaming through t-mobile. It was easy and I was happy with the price so I just went with it.

I have a question about my SIM card. When I return in April, can I just top up online before I arrive or will I need a new SIM card? Like I said, I only did phone minutes, no data.

User Info Menu

Hi 603,

I bought a Digicel SIM last November and inquired with them if it would be useable this November, they can't find it in their system anymore. IDK if it gets discarded after x months of inactivity or what.

As a new one is around $535 JMD, it's not too bad if we need to get a new one.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LivinInThe603 View Post
    I have a question about my SIM card. When I return in April, can I just top up online before I arrive or will I need a new SIM card? Like I said, I only did phone minutes, no data.
    Livin, You can keep the same SIM card. I've had the same one for about 4 years now. Even when your credit expires, your service will stay active for at least a year. You just have to top it up before your next trip.

Check out this thread for some important Digicel codes that will tell you how much credit you have and when your service will expire:
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.p...=digicel+codes

Funny that you roam on T-Mobile. Mine roams on AT&T.