Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How soon do you buy airline tickets?

User Info Menu

How soon do you buy airline tickets?

Hi boardies, my husband and I are treating our family to a trip to Negril next March. That means I have to purchase 8 tickets leaving from three different airports. It's not going to be easy to have everyone arrive around the same time but that's the least of my worries. When it's just the two of us I usually buy 3 months before we leave. What would you do? Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.
    dorisw

2017 was our 15th trip to Negril. Other islands we visited: Cozumel, Mexico (4 times) St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Aruba, Harbour Island, Bahamas, Anguilla, St. Maarten/St.Martin, Ambergris Caye, Belize (twice)

User Info Menu

Re: How soon do you buy airline tickets?

I almost always fly Southwest so I purchase as soon as they open -- about 6 months before my trip. I then watch it daily for price drops.

I use this site for finding tickets: https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ You can't book from the site but it gives you lots of information about flights. There are some airlines like Spirit and Southwest that will not show up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rumrunner View Post
    Hi boardies, my husband and I are treating our family to a trip to Negril next March. That means I have to purchase 8 tickets leaving from three different airports. It's not going to be easy to have everyone arrive around the same time but that's the least of my worries. When it's just the two of us I usually buy 3 months before we leave. What would you do? Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.
    I second Jamerican71's recommendation

SWA has no fee for changing flights except for any change in fare between the dates.

Your money is tied up but can be used within one year of the original ticket

I've been flying on SW points for the last 12 flights. Very convenient

BTW. The best day to check fares on SW is Wednesday.......

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

I usually purchase about 60 days out

User Info Menu

Once I have travel dates I start checking a couple times a week. I also set up fare alerts at sites like kayak and Orbitz.
    When I find a number I like I buy. Have gotten good deals 6-9 months out and just as good 3 months out and under 30 days. Get a feel for prices and wait for a number you can live with.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ras Walleye View Post
    Once I have travel dates I start checking a couple times a week. I also set up fare alerts at sites like kayak and Orbitz.
    When I find a number I like I buy.
    I do the same thing, but I could never get too close to a trip date without buying! I just don't feel comfortable unless I have my tickets booked. Fortunately we can fly SW from BWI to JA, so we get direct flights and can rebook if the price drops. The piece of mind from knowing my flight is booked is priceless!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerican71 View Post
    I use this site for finding tickets: https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ You can't book from the site but it gives you lots of information about flights. There are some airlines like Spirit and Southwest that will not show up.
    Matrix is a must for analyzing the prices from multiple airlines. Matrix was recently purchased by Google and has become Google Flights. Same information, but with a much slicker interface:

https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0

User Info Menu

The other thing I do is price out one-way tickets. I have found that you can sometimes buy it cheaper. The savings might be small but when you multiply that savings by the number of tickets you have to buy then it can make a big difference.

User Info Menu

Thanks, everyone!
    dorisw

2017 was our 15th trip to Negril. Other islands we visited: Cozumel, Mexico (4 times) St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Aruba, Harbour Island, Bahamas, Anguilla, St. Maarten/St.Martin, Ambergris Caye, Belize (twice)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerican71 View Post
    The other thing I do is price out one-way tickets. I have found that you can sometimes buy it cheaper.
    Have you seen that within the past 18 months? Airline practices on this have changed.