Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tourism Minister invites ideas!

User Info Menu

Re: Tourism Minister invites ideas!

For the next advertisement they make they use the video of Shaggy and Rayvon doing , In the Summertime, as a back round.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by halfwaytree View Post
    ............ and reclaim some of the island's beachfront property
    for its own citizens to access.
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

that's an ''interesting'' recommendation

ummmmmmmmmmmmm

i just did a quick google-thing-y::::>>> dem-SAY::>> Jamaica is an ISLAND..!! ..... ergo 'tis SURROUND-ed by water, na tru
    ...'tis 145 miles long & 50 miles long

* whew *
    dats a lot of beach front [ I *think*]
    .....plenty beach-front for residents to use and enjoy

now dem can't use Sandles, Beaches, Rui, etc etc beaches ... but they can use the rest of the island ..... and there're a whole heap of official and proper beaches on-island. In fact, I know of at least 3-4 public beach areas, right there in Negril.

an observation:::>>> except for major holidays, not that many residents use the beaches ---- not sure why.

perhaps,
    it's because they to busy-busy working and doing other Ja-life-things

kinda-sorta like here in good 'ole USofA WashingtonDC :::::: we got plenty plenty free stuff all over town, and the DC-locals don't go check 'em out. 'Twas just the other day, I asked some of my neighbor folks:::>>> ''...have you [and your family, with pickneys, been to see the MLKing memorial..??''

dem-SAY:::: ''.. No .''

:-(

the thing-y been der for quite a few years now

* sigh *
    so it goes

ummmmmmmmmmmmm

on your next-trip:::>>> check out those public beaches in Negril, on a week-day,,, and see how empty they are
    oh
    oh
    oooooooooooooh:::>> one more final-thing-y:::>>> over the years, i've come to a posture that i don't trouble my old feeble brain with how Jamaica handles it's business ---- i'm from-foreign --- and my foreign-ideas might not work in/for Jamaica.

correction::>> my foreign-ideas WON'T work in/for Jamaica [full stop]
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

Totally agree with banning styrofoam containers. Reopen Negril recycling center. Have a returnable deposit on plastic bottles(i know they have it on beer bottles) Reinforce in school the importance of your environment and taking care of it. We have been coming to Negril since 1974 and dont remember so much trash back then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yooper bill View Post
    For the next advertisement they make they use the video of Shaggy and Rayvon doing , In the Summertime, as a back round.
    I looove the video of Shaggy and Rayvon, singing, in the summertime !!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

The garbage problem is something everyone could help out with. If everyone picked up trash (locals and tourists)when they see it there would be little trash. I pick up trash everyday on my walks at home in Calgary.People will walk by or step on trash rather then pick it up. I pick up on the beach and around town but can't do it all. I got a thumbs up from a garbage man when he saw me picking some up on the beach road and putting it in the garbage can. Once when I picked up some garbage on the beach and was looking for a garbage can to put it in at a hotel the security guard said don't be bringing trash onto this property??? Garbage cans in front of hotels on the beach would help. I saw a picture of a sign in Bluefields that said "Bluefields recycles plastic bottles" so why can't Negril do it as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    There is an interesting article in the Observer where the Minister of Tourism states:

"Always remember that when visitors leave the confines of their homelands to visit your destination they go in search of their passions. It is your job to find out what those passions are and to find ways to ensure you satisfy them."

To help and assist directly, Negril.com invites you, our visitors, to let us know what your passions are! Please leave us a comment as to what you want to see for the future of Negril and Jamaica from a visitors' perspective!

Thank you!

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...s-of-consumers
    As others have stated, garbage and higgling are, for me, the 2 annoyances of Negril.
    I have picked up garbage, but often, the garbage cans are full, and not sure of where to put the bag, once filled.
    I want to feel reasonably safe, and I take care to travel in a group of at least one other. I am outgoing and willing to chat with locals, and sometimes buy what's being sold, but I don't want to feel pressured. I understand the desperation that does exist, but when I pay for a vacation, I don't want to feel that most of my money is going to buy trinkets that I am not interested in.
    So.... just repeating/agreeing with what's already been mentioned.
    Negril is still a beautiful place to me, very special... and I don't want to feel forced into an all-inclusive situation because I am being surrounded by garbage and pestering people when I choose to support the small businesses.
    We usually travel as just a couple. We have always sung the praises of Negril, and we have friends who are considering joining us on the next trip... but we hasten to warn them that it will not be like other places to which we've travelled together in the past. The vibe is not for everyone... but less garbage and hassling on the beach could make it more attractive to those who are loyal visitors.
    Hedo Negril '07 Hedo Ochi '08 Couples Negril & Riu Ochi '10 Firefly & iberostar Rose Hall Beach '12 Firefly & Samsara '14 Samsara & CocolaPalm '16 CocolaPalm & Couples Negril '17 Treehouse & Catcha & Couples Negril '22

Coming in from the cold...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
    As others have stated, garbage and higgling are, for me, the 2 annoyances of Negril.
    I have picked up garbage, but often, the garbage cans are full, and not sure of where to put the bag, once filled.
    I want to feel reasonably safe, and I take care to travel in a group of at least one other. I am outgoing and willing to chat with locals, and sometimes buy what's being sold, but I don't want to feel pressured. I understand the desperation that does exist, but when I pay for a vacation, I don't want to feel that most of my money is going to buy trinkets that I am not interested in.
    So.... just repeating/agreeing with what's already been mentioned.
    Negril is still a beautiful place to me, very special... and I don't want to feel forced into an all-inclusive situation because I am being surrounded by garbage and pestering people when I choose to support the small businesses.
    We usually travel as just a couple. We have always sung the praises of Negril, and we have friends who are considering joining us on the next trip... but we hasten to warn them that it will not be like other places to which we've travelled together in the past. The vibe is not for everyone... but less garbage and hassling on the beach could make it more attractive to those who are loyal visitors.
    Georgia, I will make sure to get you a stick with a nail in the end, thi will solve both your problems.........lacdeloo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lacdeloo View Post
    Georgia, I will make sure to get you a stick with a nail in the end, thi will solve both your problems.........lacdeloo
    There are no problems mon - only solutions!
    No sticks and nails for me... I will stick to a garbage bag, a friendly smile and respect
    Hedo Negril '07 Hedo Ochi '08 Couples Negril & Riu Ochi '10 Firefly & iberostar Rose Hall Beach '12 Firefly & Samsara '14 Samsara & CocolaPalm '16 CocolaPalm & Couples Negril '17 Treehouse & Catcha & Couples Negril '22

Coming in from the cold...

User Info Menu

We just got back from our trip on Sat. We spent a week. 4 nights at Couples Swept Away, since Charela Inn was closed for Sept, and 3 nights at Cathca Falling Star. We had a wonderful time. We found everything to be great. It was quiet, even beyond quiet, dead. But we loved our time walking the beach while housed at CSA. We spent a lot of time walking the beach and we found that everything was better than ever. The beach is beyond wide and clean and we enjoyed our walks. Our time on the cliffs was memorable. We stayed in Libra Cottage and we had a wonderful time. We walked to the store down a bit to the left of the resort. We also walked to Tensing Pen for dinner. The road was like a ghost town. It was so different because of the season. But we loved our time in Negril this year. No complaints at all. So happy Matthew stayed away. Thanks to all who made our time so great. Nothing annoyed us, no litter, no hustlers. It was all good and quiet. It was how we always want out trip to Negril to be!

User Info Menu

Minister,
    The last nine years we have been coming, when I walk the beach every morning and evening I pick up garbage. The problem is also finding garbage cans. I remember(1974) the beach being so pristine. It breaks my heart. But I also see vendors walking the beach along with tourists dropping garbage ie: water bottles on the beach. Even some resorts are slow to pick up trash. They need an incentive to recycle.. maybe a deposit return for a few cents.