Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The new route taxi look!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: The new route taxi look!

Quote Originally Posted by R.L. View Post
    "..... route taxis are meant for locals."
    I disagree that route taxis are meant for locals. Isn't it the public transportation system for Jamaica? When people travel to my city, they have access to the public bus, etc. When you go to NYC, or Europe, Asia, Africa, or anywhere, don't you have access/utililize public transportation.. Rail, bus, subway, train, ferry, rickshaw, etc? I feel it's best to know what you are doing & do what works for you & the situation 😊
    RL,

Here is why many people suggest that the route taxis are meant for the locals and not tourists.

The tourism industry has been growing since it started in the 1890's. The first tourist association was formed in 1910 (Jamaica Tourist Association). The first government agency was founded in 1922 (Jamaica Tourist Trade Development Board). In 1954, the government reorganized the Development Board and called it the JTB (Jamaica Tourist Board) that we know today. JUTA (Jamaica Union of Travelers Association) was formed shortly thereafter to serve the increasing transportation needs of the ever growing tourist industry.

The government has known since the 50's that the Jamaica Public Transportation would not be able to handle the various and growing needs of the tourists, thus the need for JUTA to exist. There are now other unions serving tourism needs in addition to JUTA (JCal and Maxi to name two) as the needs of the tourism industry grow.

So, JUTA and the other tourism taxi associations were designed with tourists in mind, not the island route taxi system. The local taxi system was designed for the local populace, although anyone on the island is free to take it. In fact, it is illegal for a driver to discriminate against anyone wanting a ride. And please note that the US Embassy recommends that their American staff avoid public transportation.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Tourists in Jamaica who choose to use the route taxies do so because they are reasonably priced. Why would I pay a private cab US $20 for a trip from the Negril beach to the cliffs when a route taxi only costs about US $2? JUTA and the other tour companies may be designed with tourists in mind but they're also designed to make money off tourists. It's been said on this board that the average Jamaican salary is about US $60 per week, so why does a one way, 75 minute trip from the airport to Negril cost the average weekly wage or more?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bksmm View Post
    ... It's been said on this board that the average Jamaican salary is about US $60 per week, so why does a one way, 75 minute trip from the airport to Negril cost the average weekly wage or more?
    Not only has that been said here, it's the truth. For the average Jamaican, there will never be a need to go to the airport as they will never have the chance to leave the island on a plane.

What you take for granted is nothing but an impossible dream for the average Jamaican.

The local route taxi system is the only way the average Jamaican can afford to get to work or go shopping. It was not designed with tourists in mind.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

and he is a great guy also. i always enjoy speaking to him

User Info Menu

Route Taxi question?

Do you know if a "route taxi" runs from Negril to Little London, and vice versa? Thanks.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hey Rocknroll Farmer,
    Yes, A route Taxi does go from Negril Taxi Park to Little London.

In fact, if you stay in it, you will go all the way to Sav La Mar.
    I think it is $150J

And vice versa.

There is a wonderful Fried Chicken place in the Little London Square.

User Info Menu

Thanks Markospoon. Our Jamaican family lives there. {we have know them for nine years now}. We also have gotten to know their neighbors as well. It is a highlight of our trip to go see our Jamaican family, to see the kids grow up etc. We have used regular taxi's etc. but sometimes it does get quite spendy.

User Info Menu

I've just received a couple of private messages and wanted to emphasize...

All (legal) route taxis now look like the picture Rob provided in the original post...no ifs, ands or buts about it!

The law took effect April 1st of this year and all route drivers that had procrastinated making the changes to their vehicle have now been made compliant!
    Legal route taxis have a checker board pattern and clearly defined route printed on the side of the taxi and a yellow taxi light on top of the vehicle.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 10-21-2016 at 10:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi all, thanks for all the info. Now I want to clarify something that happened on my last trip. I was heading towards the lighthouse in the cliffs and a route taxi heading the opposite way was empty and he turned around to pick me up. Is he now a chartered taxi because he broke his route, or because technically his route is in the cliffs, he is still a route taxi? Just asking because I would guess that there would be a different fee structure if he broke his route and became a chartered taxi even though I'm along the route. Thanks in advance.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.