Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Treasure Beach - October 14 to 18, 2016

User Info Menu

Re: Treasure Beach - October 14 to 18, 2016

BaileysMom,

Awesome photos and story. Really, seeing people happy is an inspiration. I think that is one reason so many people return to Jamaica is the happiness we feel while there and are able to carry that Irieness with us until we need to charge the batteries again.

MilwaukeeMike,

You are right on the money!! Eating the Lionfish is really important to the survival of the Jamaican Reef System. If as you say they are good eating then they should be harvested as much as possible to allow the other species to survive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    BaileysMom,

Awesome photos and story. Really, seeing people happy is an inspiration. I think that is one reason so many people return to Jamaica is the happiness we feel while there and are able to carry that Irieness with us until we need to charge the batteries again.

MilwaukeeMike,

You are right on the money!! Eating the Lionfish is really important to the survival of the Jamaican Reef System. If as you say they are good eating then they should be harvested as much as possible to allow the other species to survive.
    Are the reefs close enough to shore for snorkellers to swim to to spearfish for these INVASIVE Lionfish. Or would i need to hire a bot and operator to take me out. I have not been to this area of Jamaica yet. Have shot and eaten several in the Negril area. Looking forward to try TB out.

User Info Menu

The Treasure Beach area isn't ideal for spearfishing. The water can be a bit rough, cloudy, and there are currents all over. The reefs (such as they are) are close to shore, but very shallow and not really suited to swimming/diving. Most of the fishing is done off-shore, in deep water.

User Info Menu

TAH,

Good answer, also I believe there is an area off the beaches in TB that are part of a preserve where fishing is prohibited.

Toban,

There are many fisherman in TB that can take you to good reefs close by that most likely the Lionfish is not protected. It is really great to see that it has turned into a viable food for Jamaicans and visitors alike. According to some the Lionfish first showed up in Florida either dumped by aquarium owners or a result of them getting loose during a hurricane. Either way they have spread as far north as New England and in the entire Caribbean. I have read that the largest caught to date was in Florida weighing 2.5 lbs.

User Info Menu

johng, I'm pretty sure that they are not protected anywhere except where all fishing is off limits like Galleon Beach near Black River. (btw, that makes a nice picnic beach if you need to get away). I'm sure there are some but I haven't met a Jamaican yet that eats lionfish. lol You wouldn't eat the spikes anyway. Hopefully that attitude will change.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMike View Post
    johng, I'm pretty sure that they are not protected anywhere except where all fishing is off limits like Galleon Beach near Black River. (btw, that makes a nice picnic beach if you need to get away). I'm sure there are some but I haven't met a Jamaican yet that eats lionfish. lol You wouldn't eat the spikes anyway. Hopefully that attitude will change.
    No worries, MMike...plenty of Jamaicans are eating lionfish.

User Info Menu

I filet all the lion fish I catch. It is just like cleaning a walleye. Just a little extra care in handling. I trim all the fins and spikes first then the dangerous part is gone. They are very tasty beer battered and deep fried or just pan fried with bread crumbs and some local spices. Can't wait to find some one to take us out to a good location with a lot of lion fish.

User Info Menu

Toban,

From what I have read it seems that there are significant schools of Lionfish in the Pedro Bank area off of Treasure Beach. You should be able to find a local fisherman who can put you on a good reef

User Info Menu

Thank you for the info johng. I will definitely look at that and any other info on the Lion fish spots that others have heard of or encountered.

User Info Menu

Toban,

If you are serious about going Lionfishing in Treasure Bay area there is a guy called Talla who does rod and reel fishing but also Black River Tours etc.. I met him through Kory at Sunset Resort and Villa's in TB. He would be the guy to take care of you. By the way although I believe you are looking to dive and spearfish I know that many Lionfish are caught with rod and reel. Park the boat over a reef and bottom fish. Since they are so abundant many can be caught right out of a boat. Just an alternative.