Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Ever STAYED At Alfred's Ocean Palace?

User Info Menu

Re: Has Anyone Ever STAYED At Alfred's Ocean Palace?

What prompted the move from room to room?

Quote Originally Posted by mwenvlay View Post
    thanks, vince

i meant to add in my update that the music has totally not been an issue for me.

they've stopped using the stage these days and just set the band up in the bar area. we were in an upstairs ocean facing room (room 5) our first couple of days and the music did not sound loud at all up there. then we switched rooms and wound up on the first floor in the room closest to the bar (room 1)- the music went from about 9:30 until about 1am last night, and it was definitely much louder than when we were upstairs, but i just threw in my earbuds and fired up an audiobook and fell asleep in no time.

view from room 5

view from room 1
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

we had a loft room. our second night/morning here (wedns/thurs) there was a violent storm at 4:30am and our ceiling started pouring with rain.

we think it might've been because the window in the loft area was open. our 10 yr. old son was sleeping up there and i can imagine he opened the window when he first got there and then never thought about it again.

cindy moved us down to room 1 at around 5:30am and we asked her if we could stay- internet and water pressure are much stronger down here, plus it's easier for us to keep an eye on our kid. the room doesn't have a loft, so he has to sleep in the twin bed next to our double bed.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinInThe603 View Post
    What prompted the move from room to room?

User Info Menu

Oh, wow! I'm glad they could accommodate you

we had a loft room. our second night/morning here (wedns/thurs) there was a violent storm at 4:30am and our ceiling started pouring with rain.

we think it might've been because the window in the loft area was open. our 10 yr. old son was sleeping up there and i can imagine he opened the window when he first got there and then never thought about it again.

cindy moved us down to room 1 at around 5:30am and we asked her if we could stay- internet and water pressure are much stronger down here, plus it's easier for us to keep an eye on our kid. the room doesn't have a loft, so he has to sleep in the twin bed next to our double bed.
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

yeah, we lucked out.

cindy told us that a big crew of long-termer snowbirds had just departed the day before and room 1 was the only room that had gotten cleaned, so we had a fresh room to switch into.

and the whole ceiling flooding thing was a non-issue for us. it was all good as long as none of our electronics got ruined and i managed to save them before the water hit them (we had our laptop and portable bose speaker on the floor with our luggage). my husband actually kind of enjoyed it because it's exactly the type of drama we'd get if we were still living in haiti. it made alfred's feel like home.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinInThe603 View Post
    Oh, wow! I'm glad they could accommodate you

User Info Menu

We have stayed at Alfred's for many years, the rooms have always been safe and clean. The staff is always friendly and helpful. Have brought our kids and many friends, some with teenagers. Plan to bring young grandkids next (this) year. The beach musicians and vendors always stop and the atmosphere is always great.

User Info Menu

that's great that you're bringing your grandchildren. your family is on its third generation of negril vacationers! my son is only ten, but i hope to follow in your footsteps.

Quote Originally Posted by freezin View Post
    We have stayed at Alfred's for many years, the rooms have always been safe and clean. The staff is always friendly and helpful. Have brought our kids and many friends, some with teenagers. Plan to bring young grandkids next (this) year. The beach musicians and vendors always stop and the atmosphere is always great.

User Info Menu

Having stayed at Alfreds for many years, we love it, and nearly all of the friends we have taken with us feel the same. Its basic, but clean and safe. We have never had an issue with safety or cleanliness. It is in the middle of everything and its always a happening place. The staff from Alfred and Cindy down are friendly, and helpful. We have never had a bad experience there. Can't wait to go back next winter!

User Info Menu

Love the way you take a chill attitude and just go with the flow. So many are quick to complain but you just took it in stride, and found the move worked better for you guys!!! So refreshing to read and glad you guys had a great time.....sure sounds like it! Will definitely look at Alfred's for future accommodations!

yeah, we lucked out.

cindy told us that a big crew of long-termer snowbirds had just departed the day before and room 1 was the only room that had gotten cleaned, so we had a fresh room to switch into.

and the whole ceiling flooding thing was a non-issue for us. it was all good as long as none of our electronics got ruined and i managed to save them before the water hit them (we had our laptop and portable bose speaker on the floor with our luggage). my husband actually kind of enjoyed it because it's exactly the type of drama we'd get if we were still living in haiti. it made alfred's feel like home.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”
    ― Bob Marley

User Info Menu

thank you very much

if you do wind up staying at alfred's i'd love to see you post a trip report. i think locally owned and managed properties need to get more shine, especially the long established ones that are still trucking, as negril goes through its latest cycle of change.

oh, and here are a couple of videos i took while we were there:

Quote Originally Posted by hey_mon View Post
    Love the way you take a chill attitude and just go with the flow. So many are quick to complain but you just took it in stride, and found the move worked better for you guys!!! So refreshing to read and glad you guys had a great time.....sure sounds like it! Will definitely look at Alfred's for future accommodations!

User Info Menu

Thinking about trying out Alfreds for part of my stay in Dec. What are the basic rates? I tried to submit a request via their website but it's not working. I couldn't find anyplace online that has rates or availability.
    thanks