Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much do you budget?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

How much do you budget?

When you first plan the trip how much do you budget all in? (round numbers, no detail)

When you get back did you spend more or less? (yes or no)

Just interested in some data if you don't mind.

Thanks

Cap
    Last edited by captaind; 01-16-2017 at 07:42 PM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Re: How much do you budget?

Good question Cap. Over the years I've said "I got to make a record of all I spend on two weeks in Negril". I never have after 25 years...too much work to be on vacation. Same for quibbling over the exchange rate...tiny fluctuations. We usually take 5K for two weeks. I tip generously and often. We spend and enjoy.
    We always come home with a couple of K... wife is pulling out twenties from the envelopes we brought down months later..."Is that still Jamaica money...?"
    We have perhaps an irrational fear of being "short of cash" in Negril. Maybe next year I'll itemize...maybe not.

User Info Menu

Just figuring out how much cash to bring, leaving Friday for 8 days, hotel is payed for. Figuring $200/day (2of us) for food and drink, $500 for transportation and $500 for treats

User Info Menu

Well, my rule for cash to Negril is: Lay out all the clothes you are going to take and the cash you are going to take on the bed and...take half the clothes and twice the cash.
    200 a day sounds reasonable.

User Info Menu

As a budget traveler , and about 20 years of winter getaway adventures , our averages as a couple : 1 week 2000 to 2500. two weeks 2500 to 3500 third week 3000 - 4000 4 weeks 4000 . 4 weeks coming up I'll let you know . we usually bring money home but not always , This is all in travel inclusive .

User Info Menu

Spending money (not including hotel, airfare, and CMB): This year's plan: $500 for 7 nights/8 days (budgeting additional for an excursion this year).

Philosophy: I'll pay what it costs. I eat mostly on the beach so prices can be a little high. Just saw a place with a cup of coffee for $3.50 us. That's ridiculous, so I wouldn't buy that, but I don't go crazy trying to find $4 breakfast. I plan on $10-15 a meal and get what I can for that price. If it's less, that's great!

I have a breakdown of planned expenses if you're interested, but you said no details, so I think this is a discussion starter... great topic, thanks!

User Info Menu

Some trips we do for as little as $2k, some go up to $5k, just depends what kind of trip it is. But $5k is about the most that I can stomach spending on a vacation. That's usually between 8-12 nights, air, lodging, food, everything.

User Info Menu

We budget about 200/day for the two of us. However, many days, we don't hit that number. Somedays - depending on the dinner location - we might go over a bit, but that's seldom the case. We don't do too many excursions these days, so that's not an issue.

Saeyedoc - 500 for transportation - is that including an excursion? Or is that for taxis?

[/url]

User Info Menu

We average about $120/day for 2 persons plus hotel and transfer costs. That's been the case over last few years. We enjoy a lot of bheer.
    Last edited by frankk; 01-16-2017 at 07:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Captain, just to clarify; you're asking for total trip cost, right?