Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negotiation Strategies?

User Info Menu

Negotiation Strategies?

So, when negotiating prices with locals (e.g. taxi drivers, vendors, weed dealers), what's your strategy? Start at half of what they're asking? Less than half?
    Let's say you're taking a taxi from the middle of long beach up to Bloody Bay, and you want to pay $10. If the driver says $20, what do you counter with? Just go right to $10 and tell them that's all you'll pay, or go lower (like $7) and let him negotiate up to $10?

User Info Menu

Re: Negotiation Strategies?

If something cost more than I want to pay, I don't buy it.

Take route taxi, no negotiations.
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

Dan...when I charter a taxi I have a set amount in mind and offer that price.
    If they don't want that price I'll wait for the next red plate driver that will accept it...the taxis come along quick during the day.
    The $10us for two people is more than fair and you should never have a problem offering that amount.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 01-25-2017 at 08:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Same, I offer 1000J and don't negotiate

User Info Menu

Doc great seeing you and Paula
    Sorry we missed saying bye yesterday morning
    Hope Paula is feeling better
    Hope to see you all next year

User Info Menu

When I haggle in any country: I almost always bid half of what they ask and go from there; unless the ask is unusually low or high. I also have a max price in mind.

As for taxis in Negril, as Bnewb said, I have a set price during the day. At night, I'll budge if it looks like I might be stuck for a while.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JahCruiser View Post
    Doc great seeing you and Paula
    Sorry we missed saying bye yesterday morning
    Hope Paula is feeling better
    Hope to see you all next year
    Yah mon. PM me Deb's email for Paula

User Info Menu

With all the '' negotiating talk, please folk keep in mind the busy season in Negril is only a few months. This is when the vendors that make there living selling,
    have to make there money to last a while.
    While some of the haggling is okay, please do not do it with the hard workers, like the fruit ladies, the pattie man, the folks that are beating a path in the hot sun, to make ends meet. I once had someone close to me on the beach buying an orange , asked how much, was told 50 cents and replied, '' how about 2 for fifty cents ? '' Come on now.... And even though it's fine to use the route taxi, keep in mind, the local prices are not for the tourist, expect to pay more, that extra buck is not going to make or break ya ! Okay, I vented, I'm good !

User Info Menu

Silence is the best negotiation tool. If the price seems to high keep moving. If the seller needs/wants your money they will immediately find the price that will work for both of you. Jamaicans are very savy business men/women. It's not best to insult somebody who is trying to make a living.
    Peace

User Info Menu

Depends on where your coming from & going to ...say I'm travelling between the RIU & oh, let's just say for fun ...The Caves -
    that's gonna cost ya ...
    now if I wanna go from Jah B's to Mi Yard ... much easier to haggle
    Do you have a AI bracelet on ???- cost ya more
    1st timer or savvy vet ? - you get my drift -
    rarely do I haggle ..I know what I want to pay & offer it - & if it's too steep of a price ...walk good