Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Police Shakedown on Beach Patty Man and Jerk Pork Man

User Info Menu

Re: Police Shakedown on Beach Patty Man and Jerk Pork Man

Rob how does it work for the jerk chicken guys on the beach road? Do they all have the proper license and are they inspected and have taken a safe food handling course and whatever else is required to legally do what they do? Times are changing and when i am not working in the construction industry here i work in the food service industry and am very aware of safe food handling and what it involves and the dangers that can come with unsanitary conditions and people who arent properly trained.

User Info Menu

There seems to be some confusion...

This law is not new and is not newly being enforced...it was amended because of the harassment complaints and is being more sternly enforced island wide.

It is enforced on a regular basis no different than when the police set up radar at particular locations/times to catch speeding drivers...it becomes enforced more regularly as the complaints become more prevalent.

In this instance a tourist (Frankk) happened to see it "going down" with Norman and Dean and was surprised by the policing action...but again this is not new or unusual. First time it became prevalent to me was back in 2004 when the police were walking down the beach and one of the vendors hid behind me.

Until the vendors become legal this is going to continue to happen.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irieonline View Post
    Rob how does it work for the jerk chicken guys on the beach road? Do they all have the proper license and are they inspected and have taken a safe food handling course and whatever else is required to legally do what they do? Times are changing and when i am not working in the construction industry here i work in the food service industry and am very aware of safe food handling and what it involves and the dangers that can come with unsanitary conditions and people who arent properly trained.
    As you may remember, late last year there were rumors that all the jerk pans were gone. It was discussed here.

What happened was all the jerk pans now in place were made legal and regulated, being assigned to their specific locations.

This is part of the newly amended vending laws.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I used to love watching smokey the vendor who sold smokes, rizzlas and lighters take his hat off and hide from the police when they were near lol. If you watched him he was always looking around and back over his shoulder to see if they were close by lol.

User Info Menu

Yes I remember that conversation and as just curious as to the outcome and if they were regulated and inspected. Ty Rob

User Info Menu

laws suck.

User Info Menu

Glad to report that I saw both Norman and Dean selling food on the beach today. All is good and common sense prevailed.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Yes, saw Norman on the beach today. The newly amended laws were designed to be as much about compliance and not just displinary in nature. The future will be interesting.

User Info Menu

Its the honest people paying the price for a law that also seeks control for the Government on the beach when the sale of ganga has been figured out. Just saying there is always a bigger picture. A vendor is a vendor. These honest vendors are as much part of the beach as the sun and sand. 2 cents...........

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lacdeloo View Post
    Its the honest people paying the price for a law that also seeks control for the Government on the beach when the sale of ganga has been figured out. Just saying there is always a bigger picture. A vendor is a vendor. These honest vendors are as much part of the beach as the sun and sand. 2 cents...........
    The sale of ganja by "vendors" on the beach is illegal. This is still in the process of being figured out. Ganja has been decriminalized, not legalized. Less than 2 ounces is a fine, over 2 ounces or distribution, transport or sale is a fine trip to the local jail...