Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Takin' the Newbies along Part 2 - a trip report

User Info Menu

Re: Takin' the Newbies along Part 2 - a trip report

Quote Originally Posted by Jahmyheart View Post
    Great trip report Jenn! Come on, give us more!!!!!!!
    Agree!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
    Day 5 in Negril:
    It was HOT HOT HOT today. Weather was PERFECT until it wasn't...but more about that later.

Got up - walked down to Shamrock for some OJ. Not sure of the time, but we were too early - they weren't open. Walked back towards Rooms and stopped at Sweet Spot market and grabbed an OJ for hubby, soursop for me and a diet coke for the room. I'm a pop drinker at home. Here - not so much. That one diet coke (20 oz bottle) lasted me the rest of my stay.

Had breakfast and finally got out our floats. Floated for awhile and what do you know? Here comes my favorite waiter - Brian! Carrying out a round of RS Light. Overall - it was a lazy morning of floating and enjoying the sites. I swear to God - people watching in Negril is the best. I love that no matter where you come from or what you look like - everyone is comfortable in their own skin when in Negril.
    Bought some gizzadas for a quick snack to share and back in the sun.

Awhile later - they others decide to walk down to the market by the round about. We were still feeling lazy....so we opted not to go. However, after a bit...we decided it wouldn't kill us to get up and go for a walk. We headed north. Stopped and had a beer at the Boat Bar and saw the tiniest sweetest puppy! AHH - he was so sweet and so little! Kept on walking up to Wavz. Hmmm...I had read about Dru's on here and FB, so what the heck - let's stop! 2 for 1 drinks - she was making pina coladas - ok - we'll have that too. They were too sweet for me...but I suffered through it. As we arrived, we noticed a power company (big) truck stuck in the sand over by the ladies that have shops. They were working hard to get it unstuck with not a lot of luck. Decided to split a chicken patty. The truck was still being worked on - they had to take the tent down as they were backing up the truck, an inch at a time. Then, it started to rain. It was a chilly rain - but it felt great! Patty was served. Oh. My. God. Dru's patty's are fabulous! Holy cow! It was raining a little harder and hitting me in the back. Clearly, I didn't care. I just stood up to eat. So we sat in the rain and watched the world scurry out of the liquid sunshine.

Meanwhile - the truck is still stuck - so they took a cable stretch line and hooked it around a tree behind the bar. Uh...maybe we'll move. It stopped raining - and we moved over by the side. It snapped. They tried it a couple more times - by this time, we decided to head back down the beach. Chatted a bit with Dru, paid our bill, and off we went. If you haven't been to Dru's stop by. His prices are low and the food and drinks are cold.

Attachment 47904

Attachment 47905

Attachment 47906
    Cool "sign" at The Boat Bar.......

User Info Menu

rocknrollfarmer - I love your signs...and it seems I always take pictures of them.

[/url]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollfarmer View Post
    Cool "sign" at The Boat Bar.......

Cool sign at Airville/Margaritaville ....Gate One MBJ

Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  58.8 KB
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Day 6 continued...
    So we arrived at the beach at Half Moon and just took it all in. I LOVE the hustle and bustle of 7 Mile - but this was simply glorious. It was so quiet and peaceful, even though there were several people out and about. I imagine this was what Negril was like many years back. We hung out and took it all in. Tom went and bought a round of RS Lights and we just hung out. Before too long, Marvin pulled up in the boat to take us out to the island. Last year we had planned on coming here, but (as Brian would say) sand "paste" got us. We planned to come out on Thursday - but rum got me. So here we were...on Monday. Marvin was a ton of fun and we spent some time throughout the day just chatting with him. What a great guy! So he took us out to the island - some pictures of our approach...

Name:  IMG_3378.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  87.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3384.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  91.6 KB

Upon our arrival - we found we were the only ones there - with the exception of Livingston. He was getting the bar set up while we explored and got settled in. We weren't sure how long we would stay out there...until we decided to leave I suppose. But we just didn't know if it would be a couple hours or most of the day. Some pictures from the island.

Name:  IMG_3388.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  94.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0323.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0326.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0328.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  97.1 KB

We ordered up a round of beers and took it all in. We had the place to ourselves for about 45 minutes. It was heavenly. We chatted with Livingston before others arrived and he got busy. He was an exceptional host! Quick with a smile and a laugh! They have found the perfect guys to work for them - Marvin and Livi are gems! We LOVED our time out there.

Watch out for these little guys - they are all over! Sharp if you step on them! This was my favorite little fella - he was about the size of a pencil eraser!

Name:  IMG_0318.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  88.4 KB

Pretty soon the place started to fill up. Kathy Gillespie and friends arrived along with Charlotte and Luna. The kids added a different element - but they were mostly busy with tiny crab races. Livingston was busy preparing lunch and had taken our order. The food was plentiful and reasonable! It was by far the biggest plate of food I have ever had in Jamaica. You had a choice of jerk chicken, fish, or lobster. I chose chicken and the other three got fish. It also came with rice and peas, macaroni salad, coleslaw, and potato salad.

Name:  IMG_0355.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  94.4 KB

After a bit, I decided to get in the water. They have done a great job of clearing out the sea urchins in front of the dock so you can get in the water without shoes. However, I would recommend water shoes of some sort if you plan to spend any time in the water. Naturally, I didn't have any! Kathy and the kids had decided to head in and she saw me without water shoes. Very kindly she offered up a pair she had brought out for me to borrow. Just leave them at the bar when you get back, she said. So kind of her!

Pretty soon, Tom and Amy decided to go snorkeling. So, the water is pretty shallow and it can be a bit disorientating. We are all used to snorkeling in deeper water where you can "stand up" straight without touching the bottom to adjust your mask or snorkel. This wasn't the case and Amy was having a bit of a struggle. I decided to give it a whirl and Tom and I went out. After you get out a ways - there are a million sea urchins. This was unnerving to me - but we kept on. Saw some great coral as we snorkeled just out towards the reef from the dock. Tom and I stopped and I asked him to be next to me or in front of me (he was staying behind so he could keep his eye on me) but I needed to be able to see him too so I wouldn't get panicky. He obliged and off we went. As the water got deeper - I felt a little more comfortable - minus the sea urchin forest below me!

So I felt comfortable until I wasn't. You know when you are snorkeling and you can hear someone yell? I heard someone yelling my name - loudly! And over and over again. I stopped and looked towards the dock - we were quite a ways out by now and Tom clearly hadn't heard. I see Brian waving his arm in (what I thought) was a come back motion and yelling "JEN!" Whelp - that's all it took. You only have to be faster than the slowest person. I FLEW across the water...seriously...like Jesus...across the top towards the dock. Poor Tom didn't realize until I was long gone. Brian and Amy were in tears laughing and I may have just run a marathon....fear and fast swimming will do that to a girl! Tom eventually joins us and Brian and Amy were still laughing at me. Brian explained he was pointing AT something - maybe a turtle or a ray? Something was near the top of the water and they weren't calling us in - but pointing it out to us. However, I'm done now. My heart calmed down a bit and I got out of the water.

[/url]

User Info Menu

We hung out for a while longer and Marvin came back out. We sat and chatted with him for awhile and then he took Tom out further to the reef to snorkel. Amy went along in the boat and Brian and I hung out and talked with Livingston. People had come and gone again - but it was pretty quiet as there was only one other couple out on the island with us by now. Here are more of my pictures from the island.

Name:  IMG_0337.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  94.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0342.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0353.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0325.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  92.3 KB

Tom, Amy, and Marvin came back and he took the other couple back while we cleaned up our stuff, had another round, and settled our bill. Before we left we had to snap a group picture of with our new friends...

Name:  IMG_3397.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3398.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  87.8 KB

We can't wait to go back next year, as this really was a perfect day. We walked out to the road and were hoping for the best - to find a cab to take us back to Negril. This is a little out of my comfort zone - because normally - we charter with someone and have a prearranged time to be picked up. That just wasn't how the wind was blowing us that day - so we were taking our chances. Not long after we reached the road - a taxi stopped. Inside was a man and a younger lady. We asked if he was taking going to Negril and he said yes. However, it seemed that the others in the cab weren't going to Negril yet. So he pulled back over and they got out. Arrived back to Rooms and headed down to the beach. A lovely couple were looking for chairs when we were leaving in the morning and we told them they could use ours and our floats if they wanted. They did and were still there when we got back. We sat and talked with them for awhile - while Tom and Amy decided to walk down to the Harley Davidson shop. We passed and decided to hang on the beach.

Several times during this trip - we commented on how "our little birds were flying the nest!" haha They were way more comfortable this time going and doing what they wanted. This worked for them and for us. We decided we were going to head up to the room and get showers - but then realized it was happy hour (which we often missed) so screw it - back down in our bathing suits for happy hour with Kelvin. Tom and Amy had "happy houred" down the beach back to rooms and we finished it up with Kelvin. Then we headed next door to Woodstock for their happy hour. I really liked their rum punch - it was different than I had anywhere else. Kamani Marley had been there the day before and Kamani (our waiter) showed us his picture with him yesterday. UGH - WHY DO I ALWAYS MISS THIS?!?!

So after another hour of happy - we were starved. We decided to not change because that seemed like a lot of work - but instead threw on a dress over my bathing suit and we walked down to Kenny's Italian Cafe. We got two pizzas and ate every bit. Clearly we WERE hungry! The service wasn't great, but the pizza was fantastic. Came back to Rooms put our feet in the pool to cool down.

Side note: Does anyone else get Fred Flinstone feet in Negril? I'm not sure if it's because my feet are always dangling off tall stools? The heat? The beer? The rum? The phenomena happens to me at night in Negril - never at home. Weird.

Anywho - finished up the night and off to bed. Tomorrow's another day in paradise....

[/url]

User Info Menu

Quick question but first I want to say I love your report... "I FLEW across the water...seriously...like Jesus...across the top towards the dock." I was laughing out loud at my desk!!! Qhwn you went to breakfast at Canoe and then hung out there, did they provide the chairs? And could you order the buckets of beer from them (ice and buckets included?) or did you bring your own buckets? Thanks again for the great report!

User Info Menu

Really enjoying the report Jenn! I too want to know about the chair situation on the beach at canoe. Calico Jacks looks amazing. Great reporting and looking forward to more Loving the pictures. And now my mouth is watering for some of that fried chicken from the corner bar. That was one of my fav meals the last time. 19 more days!!!

User Info Menu

@ Jesswade - Canoe does have some chairs available. Most were being used but we were able to grab a couple. We ended up giving them to some other people to use since we weren't in them a whole lot and it seemed selfish on our part to be using them to hold our stuff. Next time, I would probably bring a sheet or something to sit on (not my towel) for their beach. When you buy a "bucket of beers" it comes with the bucket and ice. Just return and refill. hahaha They have the buckets available for that.

Jess and never - thanks for the compliment! I'm looking to finish it up tonight. Stay tuned....

[/url]

User Info Menu

Jenn I love your trip report. Your photos are terrific. I know you have posted loads of them but the one which caught my eye the most, for some reason, was the tiny green crab.
    Last edited by SLP; 04-03-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    Irie Sue