Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Last Minute Worries/Local Guide?

User Info Menu

Re: Last Minute Worries/Local Guide?

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Beachgal...where did a driver on Negril.com say he was fearful in Negril? I must have missed that.
    It was on a Negril Facebook Group

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beachgal5 View Post
    It was on a Negril Facebook Group
    Assuming of course...that he's actually reputable.
    If it's the "gentleman" that I think you may be referring...he's all over the internet, not just on a Negril FB group page...he also makes "interesting" comments all over the news sites. I'd swear he's trying to go into politics ...but everyone's entitled to their opinions.
    Imo...I just don't understand his sharing of politics/personal agenda on a tourist based FB page...especially when the facts/reality cannot defend the agenda.

User Info Menu

Fair point. I sent you a PM

User Info Menu

Almost every driver will have a card and as mentioned almost every one of them is honest and straight up. if you find one that gives you the right vide then use him while your there like a chauffer, that's what we do. Been friends with a great guy and a hell of a dad in Negril for many years now. Early B is his name and he is very trustworthy, and gives great advice on where to stay, eat, shop, etc. When we are with him we feel totally safe, we have been up to his home above the roaring river in a small community and the people there are so genuine and friendly, felt honored to meet them. You can also do roll call now that you are on the board and find boardies down there to hang out and do stuff with, totally safe as well. You will always hear the horror stories, and some are true, but read this board, the good stories out number the bad a thousand to one, bad stories just get more press. My opinion for what it's worth, once you go you'll be hooked like the rest of us. You'll fall in love with the land and the people, and I'll be curious to read your post after you go when you be preachin' like the rest of us! if you want Early's number let me know and I will post it, and his email which I have around somewhere. He has two girls and a boy and believe me he knows how to look after children.
    Last edited by Irine; 06-19-2017 at 12:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beachgal5 View Post
    Fair point. I sent you a PM
    Thanks Beachgal...just got it. And, now the word fearmongering comes to mind.

Beachgal...you're going to have an incredible time in Negril. I was the same as you when I first visited Negril...came loaded with information and fears and ended having the most incredible vacay of my life. It was so amazing, that I've now lived here for over 10 years and still think that Jamaica is magical...real but magical!!

And...just as a reminder...do not use any driver that does not have a red plate license...as they are the only drivers licensed and insured to carry paying passengers.

User Info Menu

beachgal5,

I live about half a year now in Jamaica although in a more remote and rural setting than Negril but, as bnewb says, Jamaica is still "magical" and yet at times almost too real but I wouldn't want it any other way.

I remember on a first trip some 34 years ago, being a little apprehensive and concerned especially out on the island in areas where not many tourist go but at every turn I seemed to meet just the right people I needed to keep the magic alive.

I predict for you (because it almost always happens) that you too will meet just the right people and will think they are the best people or the best driver or the best cook etc. and will feel personally obligated to promote them as such.

Jamaicans are a special type of people. As my best friend Marshall says, "Jamaicans are extreme. They can be extremely good and sometimes extremely bad especially to their own people". The Jamaicans you will meet in general are people pleasers who will go out of their way to make your visit a "No Problem" vacation.

Have fun but set personal boundaries just as you would at home.

Hope you have a great trip and tell us all about it when you get back home. Especially in pictures!

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

User Info Menu

Beachgal5,

The first time I traveled solo, I waited until I got there to hire a driver. That was a mistake. You are making the right decision to line up a driver/guide before you go and this site provides excellent options. So many good ones it may be hard to decide. There was a recent post of favorites which I can’ find I right now, however from what I remember, these were among the top recommended.

Luxurious Carib Tours
    Michael’s on time Taxi
    Rocky’s Taxi and Tours
    Steve Positive Tours

I suggest you contact three or four drivers and send them the same short introductory email. Their responses will give you a feel of their professionalism and personality thus helping you to make a choice. As a newbie, with a child, you would want your entry into the country to be as unintimidating as possible. Pre-arranging a driver to pick you up when you exit the airport will ensure that.

As you ride to Negril, the soothing heat, the friendly (informative) conversation with your driver and the view of the magnificent Caribbean will alleviate your worries and put your consciousness into perspective.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much Vi. I can't wait to get there, enjoy, and laugh at myself for worrying about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    Beachgal5,

The first time I traveled solo, I waited until I got there to hire a driver. That was a mistake. You are making the right decision to line up a driver/guide before you go and this site provides excellent options. So many good ones it may be hard to decide. There was a recent post of favorites which I can’ find I right now, however from what I remember, these were among the top recommended.

Luxurious Carib Tours
    Michael’s on time Taxi
    Rocky’s Taxi and Tours
    Steve Positive Tours

I suggest you contact three or four drivers and send them the same short introductory email. Their responses will give you a feel of their professionalism and personality thus helping you to make a choice. As a newbie, with a child, you would want your entry into the country to be as unintimidating as possible. Pre-arranging a driver to pick you up when you exit the airport will ensure that.

As you ride to Negril, the soothing heat, the friendly (informative) conversation with your driver and the view of the magnificent Caribbean will alleviate your worries and put your consciousness into perspective.

User Info Menu

Enjoy your first visit! Any private people recommended will take care you you and your child. I have taken all three of my girls down at once and one on her own without my husband. I do carry a small purse with cell phone and my cash when I go out. Never had any problems and just like home don't go wandering in dark places in the evening. The main road with sidewalk is great and otherwise just use your driver.