Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Route Taxi Fares

User Info Menu

Re: Route Taxi Fares

I am just reflecting on this topic and wonder what the local/driver perspective is? Is it impolite as a visitor to expect a local rate? Is it more respectful to charter a taxi? I have used the route taxi system for the last few years, and never have a problem, just curious.
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

I just try not to use it when school kids or resort workers are in full force as that is their main source of transportation.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LivinInThe603 View Post
    I am just reflecting on this topic and wonder what the local/driver perspective is? Is it impolite as a visitor to expect a local rate? Is it more respectful to charter a taxi? I have used the route taxi system for the last few years, and never have a problem, just curious.
    By law, route taxis are not allowed to discriminate, they are supposed to treat everyone the same.

But for many passengers it is their only affordable way of getting around. Chartering a driver is beyond their means.

Keep that in mind and there should not be a problem.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Reflecting on what you've asked, Living...

I'm thinking about the difference in North American and Jamaican taxi/bus prices...with the prices being much higher in NA of course.
    The insurance etc is very similar in both NA & JA and in some aspects being much more in Jamaica (ie. cost of the vehicle).
    I truly don't know how some of these taxi drivers survive in JA.

The red plate license fees (the only legal license to carry paying passengers) are astronomical for many of these drivers now...and many simply cannot afford to license their vehicles any more and have gone into other work...if work is to be found.
    Truly frustrating!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
    I just try not to use it when school kids or resort workers are in full force as that is their main source of transportation.
    great perspective, Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    By law, route taxis are not allowed to discriminate, they are supposed to treat everyone the same.

But for many passengers it is their only affordable way of getting around. Chartering a driver is beyond their means.

Keep that in mind and there should not be a problem.
    Thank you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Reflecting on what you've asked, Living...

I'm thinking about the difference in North American and Jamaican taxi/bus prices...with the prices being much higher in NA of course.
    The insurance etc is very similar in both NA & JA and in some aspects being much more in Jamaica (ie. cost of the vehicle).
    I truly don't know how some of these taxi drivers survive in JA.

The red plate license fees (the only legal license to carry paying passengers) are astronomical for many of these drivers now...and many simply cannot afford to license their vehicles any more and have gone into other work...if work is to be found.
    Truly frustrating!
    I wonder, then, how does the driver actually earn pay. Are drivers required to track and submit information on the number of fares they carry each shift? or do they pay a "boss" a certain percentage of fares collected? or do they keep the fares they collect and pay the required fees to maintain their cars and their licences?

My train of thought is like this.... maybe, given the financial challenges drivers face, using route taxis can actually assist/support the local economy.... ?

User Info Menu

I know they are trying to do the right thing as law makers, but the whole thing bums me out. I've been riding with the same non-plated driver for years now, he's become my friend. We go on up to his house at the head of the roaring river and eat an hang out with his sister and kids, I'm really torn on this one. I know there are great red plate drivers out there, but this man is my friend and now I can't ride with him? Is there anyway we could explain that to the authorities if they pulled us over? Need to start Jamaican Uber driver. Rob, do they have anything like Uber on the rock?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Uber tried coming in, that lasted less than 24 hours...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irine View Post
    I know they are trying to do the right thing as law makers, but the whole thing bums me out. I've been riding with the same non-plated driver for years now, he's become my friend. We go on up to his house at the head of the roaring river and eat an hang out with his sister and kids, I'm really torn on this one. I know there are great red plate drivers out there, but this man is my friend and now I can't ride with him? Is there anyway we could explain that to the authorities if they pulled us over? Need to start Jamaican Uber driver. Rob, do they have anything like Uber on the rock?
    You never could ride with him legally as a paying customer. He was engaging you in an illegal act.
    As far as proving it to authorities...you're a tourist...unless you have family here when you visit, it's going to be looked at as a client/customer relationship.