Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Route Taxi Fares

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Route Taxi Fares

There should not be anything to be torn about. It is how things work here, "the runnings" as they say.

The majority of tour operators started as route taxi drivers. Currently, route drivers pay between $5000-$7000 per day for 5 days, get one day off and one day they make all the money for themselves.

The owner of the vehicle pays for all the legalities. Fees, insurance and whatnot. They earned and deserve their money.

I have had route driver friends tell me that they can't afford it anymore and are going to stop driving. Equally, I have had tour drivers tell me that they are going back to be a route driver because the legalities are too high for them to make any money.

There is always a cost of doing business, and when non-legit entities take advantage of the system, it only raises the cost for the legit operators.

If you really want to help the Negril and Jamaican economy, support the legal businesses. Each time you use non-legit "business" you simply raise the cost of doing business for all the legit operations.

If you have a friend you really want to help, help them become a business person. That means getting registered, licensed, legal and insured. They will need to know that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Help them learn what business means and don't be their crutch as much as that temporarily makes us feel good.

Be part of the solution....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

So what I am getting from this, correct me if I am wrong, but don't use a route taxi unless you need to. Only use a hired designated red plate driver. How much does this cost(do you hire a driver for the day or per ride)? My 9 day trip in January we took red plate route taxi the entire time and never had any issues. Felt safe, great price, and was pretty quick too, not much waiting. Now in the past couple weeks I am reading that they are dangerous, not reliable, try to cheat you out on cost, etc. It was nice being able to have transportation cost so minimal but now having to hire a driver every time we want to go somewhere it's gonna be costly. After reading all this I am just very confused and not sure who and what I can trust when I get there with my 3 friends(new to Jamaica).

User Info Menu

Yes, you're wrong lol. There are no issues using route taxis, just try not to take seats that need to be used by workers and students at certain times of the day. What did you do on your last trip? Did you get in a shared taxi running a fixed route and pay the per person route taxi price, or did you "charter" the red plate to yourselves and negotiate a rate?
    The real issue now is getting rides from someone, even if a friend, who doesn't have a red plate since that's illegal and you both can be fined.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jame View Post
    After reading all this I am just very confused and not sure who and what I can trust when I get there with my 3 friends(new to Jamaica).
    You and 3 friends are the perfect size for going "charter". If you see an empty Red Plate car, ask him for a fare to take you and your friends anywhere you want to go and negotiate the price. Of course, you can Route Taxi as well but it might be difficult to find one that will fit the 4 of you without the driver wanting to make it a "charter" anyways. Just relax and do it the way you did last time. No reason to be confused if you have already experienced the Route Taxi system.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irine View Post
    I know they are trying to do the right thing as law makers, but the whole thing bums me out. I've been riding with the same non-plated driver for years now, he's become my friend. We go on up to his house at the head of the roaring river and eat an hang out with his sister and kids, I'm really torn on this one. I know there are great red plate drivers out there, but this man is my friend and now I can't ride with him? Is there anyway we could explain that to the authorities if they pulled us over? Need to start Jamaican Uber driver. Rob, do they have anything like Uber on the rock?
    You also have to remember that travel insurance policies say you are covered for accident insurance provided you are in a licenced transportation service. If you are out with a "friend", driving around and not in a licenced red plate, and heaven forbid there's an accident your medical care will be at the mercy of the Jamaican insurance provider. That's not a pretty picture. I have dealt with Jamaican insurance and it's pretty much "yeah, you have no coverage. Let us know how it work out for you".

P/S was in Duluth for the airshow in June. Duluth might be the most beautiful city in all the USA.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Insurance companies have lawyers to get out of paying claims. If you are with a "friend", you would have to prove that no money ever changed hands and there was compensation. Without being a blood relative, your chance of winning are next to zero.

In fact, should there be an accident, since you are not in a legal taxi, you may be held liable for any damages done.

User Info Menu

Well I work for a government agency so I am always insured to the teeth when I leave the country, never the less it's time to change my ride, or get my ride changed. How much would my Jamaican friend have to pay to get a red plate? Maybe I could sponsor him.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Irine,

It is a process. Time as much as money. Background check, vehicle age and fitness, classes to attend, joining an association or applying for a route. And fees and licenses are an ongoing issue.

Joining one of the associations will streamline the process, they can handle much of the red tape. The insurance discount essentially offsets the dues.

But when the law is strengthened, illegal taxi practices will be costly to the driver as well as the passengers.

The cost to you would be able to pay for premium charter service for your next 10 trips.

But it could be a fraction of what you might end up paying should you be in a bad accident.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irine View Post
    Well I work for a government agency so I am always insured to the teeth when I leave the country, never the less it's time to change my ride, or get my ride changed. How much would my Jamaican friend have to pay to get a red plate? Maybe I could sponsor him.
    Everybody's idea of a "friend" is different so I am only speaking from many years of PERSONAL experience. I learned a long time ago that no matter how much I wanted to change things for my friends in Jamaica,
    no amount of money ever seemed to be enough. Consider every amount of money you give to be just that; a gift because experience says you will rarely get it back or get anything equal of value for it and almost surely no brawta as well.

I would look at this example in this way. With Red Plate and Insurance and other costs you will spend at least $500 US or probably more. (I don't have the exact amount but others may) Or.... I could just find another Red Plate driver and pay the regular fare and get something of value for my money. Then I would take my "friend" out for a meal or a drink or something similar and consider that my gift to him as a friend. I don't want to take the chance of losing friends over money.

Donating to a charity will do more good than "sponsoring" a friend in the long run.

Just my opinion.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Ya I guess. Still makes me sad, takes away from the laid back "no worries" visit we always have there. He takes us places we wouldn't trust just anyone to take us. Invites us up to his home in Roaring River for dinner with his sister and we do take him for dinner and drinks and often he won't take a fee at the end of the day. It is very complicated witnessing a 3rd or 2nd world country's progression towards a 1st world country and I have a lot to learn. We always have considered any amount of money we have given him a gift, he works hard and he probably has a red plate already. I'll call him next weekend to se how he's doing, I haven't spoken to him in awhile. Thanks for the input, it is really a gift that this board has so many educated people available to converse with.