Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New E-Gates at Sangster Airport in MoBay

User Info Menu

Re: New E-Gates at Sangster Airport in MoBay

We came in last Tues there are kiosks's downstairs as well as upstairs, we went past all the kiosks's and went downstairs to use those, lots of them open. Then over to the e-gates. Still lots of congestion and confusion going on and when told to stay to the left they are not clear that they want you to keep going past the people waiting to use kiosks's upstairs.

User Info Menu

Unhappy Re: New E-Gates at Sangster Airport in MoBay

Quote Originally Posted by BeachTramp View Post
    As near as I can figure you do the C5 online, have to go through the kiosk, then go to the E-Gates, and lastly give your kiosk paper to immigration officer. Seems like an extra step not a time saver. Am I missing something? The last few times we were on the rock the kiosk line was huge and we walked by them all and went to the immigration officers instead. Got through much quicker. Is that still an option?
    The time saver will be that you don't stand and see an immigration officer. Remember facial recognition has been a part of Jamaica immigration for many years. When you step up and see the immigration officer, and he is flipping through your passport, talking to the other officer and checking his/her phone, what they are really doing is waiting for the facial recognition cameras up above to clear you. Ya 2-3 minutes tops but times that by 100 people waiting in line. Now the facial recognition camera is right there, out front and gets you picture right a way with no waiting. I agree with Rob, this is a game changer.

Now the real problem is the outside of the airport. They changed the direction of traffic entering departures 3 days before Christmas with little to no notice or signage, and now they switched it back to the old way. The old gas station is gone while they make more parking but in the mean time parking is a problem while they work on it and traffic is backed up. It's going to get better but right now it's a nightmare to get into the airport.

User Info Menu

It might be wishful thinking but maybe Jamaica is heading in this direction...

https://www.traveloffpath.com/americ...ibbean-island/

User Info Menu

Dear Boardies,

Any recent experience with the E-Gate?
    Arriving on a Saturday afternoon in May and wondering if things are still working smoothly.
    I'm on standby with Club Mobay.

Thanks,

VVHT aka Happy

User Info Menu

I just returned from a quick trip back to Canada. Immigration was smooth and pain free. The only real wait was to get the bags off the baggage belt. Of course the sign said belt 5 but our luggage came off on #4, of course. I was in and out in about 35 minutes despite the delay for the luggage and the airport was busy. The only real delay was the traffic congestion outside. I can't believe they change the traffic flow now for a 3rd time since Xmas. The first change was the best where arrivals go to the right, departures straight, and both circle back and meet at the round-a-bout. Now they have departures turning left, arrivals to the right and everybody meets up at departures causing a huge traffic jam starting right at the Groovy Grouper. It's a nightmare to get out now. A'nt nothing that an icy cold Red Stripe won't solve though!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VVHT View Post
    Dear Boardies,

Any recent experience with the E-Gate?
    Arriving on a Saturday afternoon in May and wondering if things are still working smoothly.
    I'm on standby with Club Mobay.

Thanks,

VVHT aka Happy
    Well as of last week, the slowest part was getting thru the backup in the hallway, before the escalator, before immigration (they were trying to hand out C-5 forms to people who didn't do it online). After that, I went into a quick line to the KEOSK to scan my passport and have my pic taken. Then went down the ramp to immigration, walked right into the line for the facial recognition scanner and walked thru in seconds. Club Mobay really couldn't have done it much faster. I even saw their groups get stalled in the hallway, trying to fight thru the C-5 forms crowd to move on. I was looking for my ride to Negril in less than a half hour after walking off the plane.
    Last edited by ukran1ans; 04-23-2024 at 02:32 PM.

User Info Menu

brownsd54 and Ukran1ans,

Good Information!

Much appreciated!

VVHT aka Happy

User Info Menu

Has anyone on here entered using a Jamaican passport and is the process the same as everyone else or is there still a separate line for citizens

User Info Menu

You will not need to scan your passport at the kiosk. Just walk straight through and go to the line marked "Foreign Nationals". Sometimes it's best to ask at the kiosk but last week I scanned my passport, got my picture taken but nothing printed out. It just said "see agent". The officer at the kiosk said I don't need to scan documents, just go straight to immigration. At the bottom of the ramp I asked again about permanent residences and was directed to the "foreign Nationals" line. In and out easy peasy. It seems the days of "stand there", "why are you standing there, stand here" are gone, but it pays to ask an agent at every step.