Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BEWARE?Omega Medical Hospital Negril

User Info Menu

BEWARE?Omega Medical Hospital Negril

Good Day!
    I am taking this opportunity to share my experience at Omega Medical Negril.

February 4 following the donkey races I stepped out to the road, hit a pothole and down I went. In excruciating pain I opted for Omega Medical for assessment and treatment. Upon arrival a porter brought a wheelchair to assist me. As I attempted to get out of the van he said to me, ?can you hurry up, it?s my lunchtime and I?m hungry; now I have to deal with you.? Shocker to me! He proceeded to take me inside where I was approached and asked to complete the intake forms and if I had insurance. No, I don?t have insurance. I was required to pay $1,500 USD, as a deposit towards assessment and services. Under duress and in need of care, I complied. I was placed in a room, filled with nurses, observation nurses and assessed by Dr Duval Ashley who ordered an X-ray of my hip. Taken to X-ray, I was told by the porter to ?get on the table.? I had to pull myself on the X-ray table, pulling along my dead leg, screaming in pain I was told to ?hush, hush,
    hush!? I received no assistance in accessing the table. Once completed I was taken back to my room and given a pain injection for comfort. As the day progressed Dr Ashley advised the X-ray showed a fracture of the R femur but to be certain he would like to call in an Orthopedic surgeon and did so. Dr Mario Thomas appeared and ordered a CT scan, so back to X-ray I go. Dr Thomas advised the CT confirmed a fracture; thus needing surgery. I was admitted overnight. That evening a clerk from triage/business office came to advise me the estimated costs of surgery would be $20,000 USD and I was asked
    if I am prepared to pay in full, in cash. I laughed with what little energy I had. I proceeded to ask for a payment plan and was told Omega does not offer payment plans. Morning of Feb 5, a clerk once again came to my bedside to advise the surgery would cost $23,000 USD and if I could pay in full, in cash. Really? No! I asked again for an amicable payment plan- I need surgery! No agreement could be reached. Later on in the day, Dr Duval Ashley presented himself to my husband and I and advised I could have the surgery at Sav public hospital, with same surgeon, Dr Mario Thomas, on Feb 6 for around $9,500 USD but he would require $500 USD cash for his pocket to make the arrangements. I need surgery so we paid him the $500 cash and watches him place it in his pocket. Evening of Feb 5, I was transferred to Sav public hospital via Omega ambulance. I was told 2 nurses would be accompanying me while in transit and the ride in the back with me but they were not there for my comfort, rather a ride home on my dollar! Once inside at Sav I was assessed by a Dr Donahoo, I believe was his name and later taken to the womens ward where I lay all night with little medication, little attention. Morning of Feb 6, ?surgery day?, I received 2 calls from a 754 Ft Lauderdale number, not recognizing the number I didn?t answer. Shortly thereafter, Dr Thomas appeared at my bedside and advised ?his Secretary? is trying to reach me to collect payment for surgery, ?so answer when she calls.? I told him I had not received any invoice. Dr Thomas stated quietly to my face, as he?s watching his surroundings, ?I should not be taking patients from Omega who have been admitted, but it is a monopoly over there and I want a piece of the pie.? Yes, he said that and left my bedside. Minutes later I received a text asking to pay J$837,000 before surgery. Nowhere on this invoice does it say who is invoicing me, nor how to pay. I called the 754 number seeking information on methods of payment. Dr Thomas? secretary notified me via text I could send payment via direct deposit using a third payment vendor or cash app, or I could make a deposit to his bank account and thus provided all his account details. At this point we asked to speak with Dr Thomas directly and offered $2,000 USD on a card, if he could process the payment, with the balance paid in 30 days. He dropped his head and ?let me check with the team.? He never returned.
    His Secretary aka girlfriend called to advise, ?they could not accommodate me?, and she disconnected the call.

I had my husband call the nurse and I asked to be discharged from Sav. She inquired as to why and I presented all these details to her. She was shocked and stated ?who, Dr who? No Dr should be collecting payment from me. Minutes later I was approached by a staff orthosurgeon. He told me the type of surgery I needed is not, and could not be performed at Sav Public Hospital and he discharged me.

I collected my thoughts, reached out to several friends who referred me to an Orthopedic in MoBay. I met with him the evening of Feb 7, admitted to MoBay hospital and had surgery Feb 8. Wonderful Dr and amazing team of nurses helped me get on the road to recovery and I am coming along nicely.

Now back to Omega. I was taken for $7,148.90 USD, plus $500 USD in cash by Dr Duval Ashley. Makes me sick how they operate at Omega and how they took advantage of my vulnerability and condition. Money driven with no care, no compassion and no humility.

Omega will not/has not given me my records after 3 attempts requesting them. I have in my possession 4 of 5 credit card receipts and (2) 1 page X-ray reports. Nothing more. No intake records, admission records, financial records, nor discharge or X-ray films, and they owe me a refund of $J59,000 and want me to provide them with my banking details to gain the refund.

Omega is pay as you go service. If you can?t pay you get no service. You lie there until payment is made or you are transferred to Sav Public Hospital.

I would rather die en route to MoBay than darken the door of Omega.

Criminal actions! Scam, scam, scam!

User Info Menu

Re: BEWARE?Omega Medical Hospital Negril

Wow, such a sorry story. How did the payment go to the MoBay Hospital and what did they charge? Did they use the X-ray and CT scan from Omega? Please get back and let us know the final outcome.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

Having no films in hand to provide the MoBay surgeon, I had to retake them. As far as the costs, it was 1/3 of what Omega was charging and full payment was required before surgery.

I saw my Surgeon yesterday and he’s quite pleased with my progress. Follow up in April. Let the healing begin!

User Info Menu

Excellent care and compassion at MoBay Hospital!

User Info Menu

wishing you a speedy recovery

User Info Menu

Wow! That was a nightmare! I'm glad you finally got help in Mobay. Hope you get well soon!

User Info Menu

So sorry this happened to you!
    No one should have to deal with that absolute nonsense and more so after such a serious injury!

User Info Menu

Same thing happened to someone I know last year. They had to go to Mobay as well and felt like they were getting extorted by Omega.

User Info Menu

While we've never had to use it, this story reminds me why we always buy travel insurance with medical coverage with emergency evacuation coverage.

The repatriation of remains would just be a bonus lol.

User Info Menu

Same here Homebrewer but the issue is you have to pay up front of course and then try to get receipts and bills ect to turn into the insurance company and hopefully you can get that info from the hospital. Good idea to have cash/high credit card limits in case you need it in an emergency. If you can't get the documentation from the hospital, you might be out of luck on the reimbursement side?