Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Negril needs your help! Just an email....

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Negril needs your help! Just an email....

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    Bchang@businessinsider.com

Hi Brittany, I?m hoping you are interested in a travel story about Negril, Jamaica. It?s my annual travel spot and we are saddened by the inaction of government officials related to the lack of water in an island surrounded by water. Jamaica welcomes over one million U.S. visitors annually (I don?t know the actual numbers but I?m certain it?s many more) and the lack of water for residents and visitors is unconscionable, unhealthy, and unethical. I attached the above link to a tv report about this issue. The Jamaica Gleaner also did an article but we are hoping that you can print an article since it?s travel related. Thanks for your consideration.

Respect,
    Jdub,

Thank you for everything that you are doing. Hopefully your email to Brittany will help!

Once again - thank you!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

**Done**
    Minister Bartlett, My family has been travelling to Negril for over 45 years, multiple times a year. Out of all the places we COULD travel to we pick Negril. We bring multiple new people each time. We are coming next week with a group of 15 people to enjoy Negril and praying we don?t have a water issue.

The lack of water for residents and visitors is unacceptable, not to mention unhealthy and inhumane. This has been a large turn off for multiple people in our group. They have major concerns, some have cancelled their trip.

Please install the pipe that has already been purchased in 2018 to increase the water supply to Negril.

People ask why I always keep coming back to the same place and I explain to them how Negril is unique and such a wonderful place. Then I tell them, when it's not ?such a wonderful place? anymore, I will try someplace new.

If the water issue is not resolved quickly, unfortunately our group will look elsewhere for future trips ? Just wish we really don?t have to. Thank you for your time and hoping for a fast resolution before too much damage is done.

User Info Menu

Letter to the editors of the Observer sent today. Its appalling that we have to go to this extreme to fix a simple government issue as basic needs of water.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Thanks BB and S&J. Appalling seems to be a good word to describe it!

User Info Menu

Email response:

Dear Dr. Williams;

Your recent correspondence was forwarded for the attention of the JAMAICA Tourist Board. Thank you for taking time out to pen these concerns for our attention. Our hope is that all visitors to JAMAICA enjoy best services and departs with memorable experiences, and as such, anything deterring this is a cause for concern, especially when it relates to the basic needs of our visitors and residents alike.

We understand that the water situation in Negril is ongoing and have recently been assured that the National Water Commission, the agency mandated to provide high quality potable water, has been working assiduously to have the situation rectified. In an effort to ensure that the Negril Area has water whilst long-term resolutions are being implemented, efforts are being made to truck water to the different communities. We are cognizant that the supply is not at the capacity that visitors/residents desire, however, as we face severe drought conditions across the entire island due to climate changes, resulting in changes in weather patterns and reduced rainfall, all viable options are being explored to ensure potable water is available. Notwithstanding, we will be sharing your complaint with the agency, for their information, as they work towards improving the water supply service.

Thank you once again for penning these concerns for our attention. We appreciate your continued support for choosing Jamaica as the destination of choice for your vacation over the years. It is hoped that you will reconsider choosing Jamaica for your next trip and trust that your visit will be pleasant and memorable.

Regards;

Ericka Clarke-Earle
    Visitor Relations Officer
    JAMAICA TOURIST BOARD
    Montego Bay Convention Centre
    Rose Hall, Montego Bay
    Jamaica W.I.
    Direct: (876) 952-0040 | Office: (876) 952-4425
    URL: www.visitjamaica.com
    Last edited by Jdub; 04-24-2024 at 08:44 AM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    Dear Dr. Williams;

Your recent correspondence was forwarded for the attention of the JAMAICA Tourist Board. Thank you for taking time out to pen these concerns for our attention. Our hope is that all visitors to JAMAICA enjoy best services and departs with memorable experiences, and as such, anything deterring this is a cause for concern, especially when it relates to the basic needs of our visitors and residents alike.

We understand that the water situation in Negril is ongoing and have recently been assured that the National Water Commission, the agency mandated to provide high quality potable water, has been working assiduously to have the situation rectified. In an effort to ensure that the Negril Area has water whilst long-term resolutions are being implemented, efforts are being made to truck water to the different communities. We are cognizant that the supply is not at the capacity that visitors/residents desire, however, as we face severe drought conditions across the entire island due to climate changes, resulting in changes in weather patterns and reduced rainfall, all viable options are being explored to ensure potable water is available. Notwithstanding, we will be sharing your complaint with the agency, for their information, as they work towards improving the water supply service.

Thank you once again for penning these concerns for our attention. We appreciate your continued support for choosing Jamaica as the destination of choice for your vacation over the years. It is hoped that you will reconsider choosing Jamaica for your next trip and trust that your visit will be pleasant and memorable.

Regards;

Ericka Clarke-Earle
    Visitor Relations Officer
    JAMAICA TOURIST BOARD
    Montego Bay Convention Centre
    Rose Hall, Montego Bay
    Jamaica W.I.
    Direct: (876) 952-0040 | Office: (876) 952-4425
    URL: www.visitjamaica.com
    Jdub,

Thanks for posting this. As the government here uses their doublespeak to answer you, a couple points of interest need to be pointed out.

Yes, the water situation is ongoing because the governement failed on their promise to resolve the problem 6 years ago by connecting the Roaring River to the Logwood Water Treatment Plant and instead did nothing. We wouldn't be having this conversation if they had done what they promised 6 years ago.

And if the "severe drought" is being caused by climate change, how does needlessly adding more greenhouse gases to the atmosphere from the 100's of trucks doing multiple trips each day to provide water to different communities make any sense. Water literally flows on its own once started. If you have ever had to siphon gas out of a car - you know water will even run uphill against gravity once started.

The drought is an interesting concept along with trucking. If there is no water for Negril and different communities in the pipes, where are the 100's of trucks getting multiple loads of water every day? I thought there was a drought...

User Info Menu

I got the same email as JDUB
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Done!
    That rug really tied the room together.

User Info Menu

I'm trying to find the Logwood water treatment plant on Google maps, but not having success. Help!

User Info Menu

Email sent:

For the attention of The Hon. Minister Mr. Edmund Bartlett: Serious concerns about environment, pipe water supply and road condition in Negril

Dear Sir,
    As a long term regular visitor of Jamaica and Negril since 1995, I am addressing you regarding the dire situation encountered in Negril during my last stay in March of this year.
    We were in Negril with a group of 10 family members and friends, staying at small hotels along Norman Manley Boulevard (Charela Inn, Idle Awhile and Cocolapalm). During the first days of our stay we encountered the burning of the Great Morass with ashes raining all over Negril as far out as on the Westend for a couple of days. I heard residents discussing a project for which Jamaica has been accorded funding by the UN in 2018, which has not led to any tangible results so far which could have helped to prevent such long-lasting and severe fires as the recent ones. This is a shame!
    Then we learned about the severe water situation which the inhabitants of Negril have had to endure especially on the Westend for a very long time now. We also noted the deplorable condition of the Westend Road, a road on which many tourists travel each day to either reach their hotels and more particularly the main attraction Ricks Cafe. I felt ashamed taking my friends on this road! But I felt even more ashamed as well as appalled by the dire situation faced by the people of Negril with not having a basic commodity as pipe water available to them. With all the development and achievements of Jamaica in the past couple of years, I am struggling to understand why this matter apparently has not been properly addressed to prevent the current situation. An urgent upgrade of the infrastructure - seemingly also in the pipeline since 2018! - is required as the present trucking of water to hotels and residents is not a sustainable and affordable solution. In addition, the onslaught of heavy water trucks is not helping the road situation at all. It would have seemed logical that the ongoing construction of big new hotels should have been accompanied by measures ensuring water supply for all.
    I am seriously considering to cancel my next visit planned for this summer and will not recommend travel to Negril to any of my friends anymore until residents will have water again!
    Last edited by Reggae_Girl98; Yesterday at 01:24 PM.