Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Negril needs your help! Just an email....

User Info Menu

Re: Negril needs your help! Just an email....

Terrible irony that Jamaica had the first piped water in the Western Hemisphere.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I want to thank RG98 for mentioning another failure of this government to address the Great Morass after they had been given a grant from the United Nations to implement a solution. And to Odinson for pointing out the Holness administration will be forever known as the administration that let the pipes run dry on the oldest piped water system in the Western Hemisphere.

With basic proper management and maintenance, planning for climate change could have been done. They had it on the books 6 years ago.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

An article in today's Gleaner where Minister Bartlett praised the role of tourism in generating HUGE income for the island set me off so I wrote another letter, this one to the Gleaner lamenting the empty pipes in Negril. Negril residents cannot drink record tourism profits. I guess the government can.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ol'yardie View Post
    An article in today's Gleaner where Minister Bartlett praised the role of tourism in generating HUGE income for the island set me off so I wrote another letter, this one to the Gleaner lamenting the empty pipes in Negril. Negril residents cannot drink record tourism profits. I guess the government can.
    And if that wasn't enough, to add insult to injury, Minister Samuda said that during this "serious drought" period that 70% of the water coming from the Logwood Plant is being lost due to leaks. And what had the government do to correct the leaks? Absolutely nothing. It has been known by the government for 3 years that this was the case, and Idiocracy prevailed, and nothing was done.

From the Observer:

"Acting Regional Manager David Pryce said work is ongoing to detect leaks and will hopefully yield more success in minimising water losses.

?Among the locations that the NWC has identified was the Salt Creek Bridge near the entrance to Negril, where an aged section of the transmission main was found leaking. The NWC team noted that this location requires a planned operation, given the technical complexity involved in accessing and repairing the pipeline that is strapped to the support beams of the bridge,? the commission said last weekend in response to questions from the Observer.

?Earlier this week a joint site visit was carried out with representatives of the National Works Agency (NWA), who provided guidance on the suitable approaches for undertaking the repairs. Based on the feedback, the NWC estimates that full repair will be completed within a matter of two weeks,? the commission added.

The issue of the leaking pipe near the sign welcoming commuters to Negril was also brought to the attention of the Hanover Municipal Corporation by Councillor Marvell Sewell (People?s National Party, Green Island Division). He said he was told that the leak has been there for years.

?Millions of gallons of water going into the river and I got in touch with someone from the NWC and they are saying that it is a big project; it is bigger than them. It has to come from Kingston and Kingston is aware of that leak years ago. It is not like yesterday that pipe leaking,? argued Sewell."

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/2024...-pipes-negril/
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!