Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

Chapter 7

Adversity is a fact of life. It can’t be controlled. What we can control is how we react to it.
    – Unknown

Monday dawns and Sunshine is cranky and just plain out of sorts. Don't let the sun outside our window fool you, he is having a cloudy day.

Without wanting to make this story any longer than it need be, Sunshine losing his cool somewhere around the third day of a vacation is not a new phenomena. This has happened before. There is something about the combination of travel, strange schedules and unfamiliar places that seems to lead towards minor meltdowns. Sometimes, in the moment they don't seem that minor. He did once, on day 3 of a 16 day European vacation, declare he was going to the airport and not leaving until someone flew him home. I made him take a nap. By the next morning, most of the clouds had past and by day five, it was like the storm had never come.

In Jamaica, this cloudiness felt harder to me, as I was on unfamiliar ground as well. It is hard to be an anchor when you are already adrift.

We got up, had our Shamrock's OJ, which is the single greatest orange juice I have ever had the pleasure of consuming. We had a few snacks to tide us over, but we did need to find food.

This time we venture towards the beach. I knew from my map that Mama Flo's was not far past Alfred's so we headed on down to check it out. It was on my 'cheap but good eats' list. We arrived and were the only customers.

"Hello" I say.

"Wah woh wah wah," I get in reply. Oh dear, not this again.

"We'd like to have lunch please." Alright, I know it is our breakfast, but since I want lunch food and it is almost lunch time, I am trying to minimize the confusion/requirement for conversation.

"Wah wah wah wah woh wah," with a gesture that seems to imply pick any seat you'd like.

We settle in and our waiter brings menus. This guessing what people are saying thing is going ok. He asks what we would like to drink, at least I hope that is what he said because I answered Red Stripe; it seemed to be the right response. We order off the menu. Waiter disappears to the kitchen, some muffled conversation takes place. Saying nothing at all, our waiter wanders back past us, out to the beach and heads for a swim. Seriously? I have heard about things getting done on Jamaican time, but did our waiter just leave and go for a swim?

I thought it was funny. Sunshine's clouds got a bit darker.

Our food arrived, brought out by the cook, since the waiter is still frolicking in the sea. I had an egg and tomato sandwich, Sunshine had a burger. Though there wasn't anything exactly wrong with the food, it wasn't that great. They may have just been having an off day. Unfortunately, that is just fueling the storm sitting next to me.

We walk back to the hotel and I suggest we settle into the beach. Sunshine plays along for a bit and then declares he is going back to the room. Annoyed, I give him a bit of a "Yeah, whatever," response and seethe for awhile on my lounger.

After a bit of time spent muttering to myself, I started to feel the sun shining on me. It was comforting. I wandered down to the water and floated on my own in the surf for awhile. The waves had a certain soothing quality to them. After a while, I felt my annoyance kind of drifting away. I came to the conclusion that Sunshine having a cloudy day was ok, we all have them. More importantly for me though, this wasn't something I needed to fix; in fact, it wasn't something I even could fix. I was reminded of the serenity prayer. I think this was a 'wisdom to know the difference' moment. In that moment, right then, what I needed to do was enjoy the peace and solitude that was right in front of me.

So I sat on my lounger and I picked up my book. I watched the people go by and enjoyed my day. I wandered back to the room a couple of times, mostly because I needed to pee. Sunshine had the curtains drawn, the lights out and some random TV on. That is ok, I remind myself; if sitting in the dark is his thing today, let him be.

I just love sitting under the palms.

I eventually dragged Sunshine down to watch the sunset, partly because it was good for him but mostly because I didn't want to be alone for that moment. I know I said I would let him be, but I am taking baby steps here.

After the sun had set, I decided it was time to negotiate how the rest of this day was going to go down. I may have been starting to settle into this Jamaica thing, but I wasn't ready to hang out by myself after dark. I also knew that if I don't put a bit of momentum behind Sunshine, he was just as likely to dig himself a deeper hole to wallow in as to snap out of it. Negotiate might not be the right word for how this conversation went down.

"Sunshine, we need a plan for how this evening is going to go down."

"Huh," was his witty reply.

"Well, we've gotta eat and we've gotta drink, neither of which is going to happen if we don't leave the hotel."

"Well, I guess."

"OK, let me rephrase," I continued, "I have to eat and drink. I am not going out there by myself, so you are just going to have to come along.

"I am going to make this simple for you. We are going to walk up to Shamrock's and get supplies. On our way back, we will stop in at Sweet Spot. I know our last visit was a disaster, but we know the food is good, we will have enough money this time and we can just bring it back to the room. After that, you can sit in the room all night if you like."

I got kind of a grumpy look that I loosely translated to agreement.

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

We headed back to the room for a bit. Sunshine settled under his personal storm cloud, randomly surfing the TV. I pulled out my book and got comfy.

If you are thinking to yourself that I am getting a raw deal here, let me clarify. Reading is one of my favorite pastimes. The only thing that is better than curling up with a good book is curling up someplace awesome with a good book. The only thing that tops that is Sunshine curled up with me. Luckily, Sunshine generally feels the same way. With all the airline weight restrictions, carrying enough books to last us both a week has been a challenge. We have transitioned to e-readers this year. I can't wait to get to the Negril with a whole library in my pocket.

I eventually declared that it was time to venture out and Sunshine grumbled along. Shamrock's OJ, red stripe and snacks for tonight, done. Different guy behind the till, but I didn't understand what he said either.

We walk into Sweet Spot. I figure the chances of our not being recognized are slim. At first glance I confirm that yes, the same lady is serving again tonight. She sees us and her eyebrows shoot straight up; oh goody, she remembers us. Now I am pretty sure she didn't expect we would ever darken the door of her establishment again. For me, that was kind of the point. I just didn't want have this bad feeling every time a walked past the place. It’s a getting back on the horse after the fall kind of thing.

Luckily, this woman already thinks we are slow, so she is talking to us that way as well. This of course means I have some concept of what she is staying.

"Hello," I say, "We were kind of hoping we might get a do-over."

She paused, considering, "A do-over?" Still contemplating, she slowly began to nod her head, said yes and gave us both a big smile, "What will it be tonight?"

We ordered off the board, oxtail in brown stew for me, curried shrimp for Sunshine and a couple of red stripes while we wait.

She starts to write up the bill, pauses and points to it and with a sly smiles asks, "We gonna be good here?"

"We're good here," I assure her.

Our bill paid, she points us over to a table and tells us we can sit down; she will bring the food over when it is ready. We figure we are making progress, as we certainly didn't get offered a seat the last time.

It took a bit of time for our food to be ready. It was good people watching, as there was a steady stream of folks, mostly Jamaican, coming in to order or pick up. A few settled into their meals at the brightly colored tables, but mostly they were getting things to go. Box meals in hand, we headed back to the shelter of Rooms. The oxtail was really good; if you are not sure, yes it really is a stewed tail, bones and all. It was my first go and there were some unfamiliar textures, I'm guessing from the bone marrow. I'd absolutely have it again.

Now I know that breaking Sunshine's funk isn't expressly in my job description, but I do have some experience with them and have developed a few strategies over the years. I was out on the balcony and I could hear the DJ cranking things up practically next door at Roots Bamboo (at least I think that is where it was coming from). With a night club practically in our backyard, I really wanted to head down to the beach to listen to the music. I didn't want to go to the party; I wanted to lurk from next door.

So I started running plays at Sunshine and I could feel some of the clouds slipping away. I almost had him, but I zigged when I should have zagged and the clouds slammed back down into place. Darn. Oh well, I tried. Tomorrow, I will have to bring out the big guns.

Up next, though some might seek a knight in shining armor charging to the rescue, I just want his castle.

User Info Menu

We have had some funny things with waiters too. One time Bentley sat down and ate his meal with us just after he serverd us. Another time at 3 Dives my wife ordered a chicken breast. The waitress didn't think she understood how much food it was and as she cupped her own breast in her hand said 'You want a whole breast?"

Regards,

Bob

User Info Menu

You should have just wondered over to Roots alone...The sun shines very bright over there after dark....
    BE A TRAVELR

User Info Menu

I cant stop laughing at "I zigged when I should have zagged"! too funny! Oh my and the picture of the waiter *tears* in my eyes from laughing! I'm loving this lady keep it going!

User Info Menu

That sunset pic above is outstanding! Wow!

Loving this report, so funny...."our waiter" was one of the best ever. I'm glad you are having fun with this and mellowing in the tropical heat. You are drawing us right into your trip in an intimate, but casual way. Great style.

I like that you went back to Sweet Spot and gave it another shot, well played.
    She starts to write up the bill, pauses and points to it and with a sly smiles asks, "We gonna be good here?"

"We're good here," I assure her.
    Classic!

User Info Menu

Love the waiter story Cherry - still laughing You'll love the ereaders, for some reason I read so much more with mine that I did before. So much lighter and smaller than a book. Just don't forget to plug it in at night...

Can't wait for more!

User Info Menu

I am so loving this report! Your sense of humor in dealing with "moods" totally crack me up. My personal "sunshine" also has a tendency to slip into them at a drop of a hat. In Negril, I find that a little harder to negotiate. Your term, "settled under his personal storm cloud" is one that I have got to remember. But, as we all know, loving involves the entire package. And learning when to zig and when to zag...LOL Your writing skills are quite good mi lady!

I can totally relate to having an e-reader. I recently purchased a Kindle Fire so I could have plenty of books at my fingertips and be able to not have to turn on a light late night as to not disturb "sunshine's " snoring. This will be my first time traveling with it and I am totally psyched....plus, I can check emails, surf the net if needed, etc. I have never brought my laptop to Jamaica but the size of the Kindle is perfection for travel.

Can't wait to hear more...
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

What great report! I can't tell you how many times I've zigged when I should've zagged ;-)

User Info Menu

I am so enjoying your report!