Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post
    I'm enjoying your report very much.

My husband hears "Wah wah wah who wah" each time a Jamaican speaks to him, too. I find myself translating for him. The Jamaican speaks to my husband. I then translate what the Jamaican said to my husband. My husband answers the Jamaican........and on and on. My husband cannot understand how I know what is being said. In fact, most times when the Jamaican people speak to each other, I can undrstand evem that.

I have no idea why this is the way it is but, I just wanted you to know that it's not just the two of you that have the problem. By the way, we have been going to Jamaica since 1989 and he is still in the dark much of the time when a Jamaican speaks to him. I hope you two do better than he has done.
    Thanks for sharing that Max. I can imagine that that is how it is going to evolve with Sunshine and I. By the end of the trip I was picking up a few words here and there, but he was totally lost. It is good to know that we have a quite a few years to practice before we need to feel behind the eight ball!

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

Our dinner done, we made quick pit stop to freshen up and we headed to the door only to discover it is now pouring rain. Oh well, guess we will be getting wet. At least it is warm out. Our waitress grabs our attention and tells us to just wait here, that this fellow will give us a ride back to our hotel. Hmmm, I am not so sure about this. It must have shown on my face, because she adds an extra don't worry, you will be safe.

Decision time and I quickly run the variables. These webcast folks didn't look that scary and if the folks at Canoe weren't good people I don't think that they would have a webcast drawing tourists here. It is pouring rain and getting a red plate in the rain in the dark may be rough. Accepting the ride wins out. Sunshine's only concern through all of this? He hears the guy talking to the kitchen, telling him he will pick up his fries when he gets back. Sunshine's already decided we are in no danger; he just doesn't want this guys fries getting cold.

Our mystery driver runs out, gets the car and pulls right up so we don't get wet, which was really kind. We get into a vehicle that is absolutely not a red plate. Based on other vehicles I had observed in Negril, I would go so far as to call it a luxury ride. I asked if it would be alright to make a quick stop at Shamrocks (I need my morning OJ after all) and it is "No problem, man."

This fellow is very friendly and starts into a long tale that goes like this "Wah wah woh family wah, hill woh wah wah Jet Ski wah who wah." I think we are making progress, as at least I picked up a few words. To be fair, I am not sure he even said hill, but he pointed up in that direction, so I was guessing.

I admit I felt a bit defeated. I had been here for six days and I still didn't understand the ENGLISH that people are speaking to me. Thankfully, it seemed not to bother our ride that the conversation was slightly one-sided. I think at some point, I pieced together Booby Cay and tell them Kirby sent you. So, whoever our ride might have been, sorry we weren't much on conversation. Thank you for getting us home in the pouring rain.

After our quick stop, we were at the gates to Rooms. I had already tucked cab fare in my pocket, so I offered it to our ride. He shrugged like we were slightly slow, which I was beginning to believe was true, but he accepted our fare.

We dashed back to our room and waited out the storm with a sub and a good book. As the weather seems to do in Negril, the rain didn't last all that long.

Yet again, we capped our night drinking red stripe with our feet in the water. Sunnyside was well used to our routine by now and they were pulling nothing but the coldest Red Stripe for us. When he boarded up, we took it as a sign that it was time to head in.

Another day in paradise, come and gone. Tomorrow, we are will be at the dreaded last full day. 

User Info Menu

Hehe...Kirby is the owner of Canoe!

User Info Menu

Don’t feel bad about being shy. We were too shy to speak to Lisa and Rob during our first webcast too. We didn't get to know them until our second trip to Negril when we overcame that and finally introduced ourselves

So glad that the dark clouds over sunshine’s head cleared and that he started having a great time. I can relate to that. Markus went through a similar mood shift during our first trip to Negril. It took him some time to adjust to it all. I love that picture of the two of you in the ocean! Those are great smiles! You both look so incredibly happy in that moment!

Omg That waiter picture had me cracking up!!

I’ve been truly enjoying every single update of this trip report! Thank you for sharing all that you have so far. I really feel like we traveled along with you every step of the way. I love your outlook on life and your sense of humor. I’m sad that your last day is coming up because I really don’t want this trip report to ever end! It’s been such a fun ride! I’m looking forward to hearing about your upcoming trip to Negril in 13 days. Are you packed yet? I usually pull out my suitcase at the two week point lol – the week before the trip is like torture because it can’t come fast enough. Despite all that, I’m usually running around like a headless chicken 2 days before trying to pull together all the last minute stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TizzyATX View Post
    Marley....dont click on the link to the song!!!!! Cherry I love the song personally, but Marley is terrified of country music like Clarity is scared of bats....and lion fish. And sea urchins. hahaha
    LOL Tizzy!!
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

I have been reading your report and loving every minute. I just thought of a funny story that pertains to the whole language barrier deal. Our second trip to JA my nephew came along with us who is 30 and has the same problem understanding the language. We were all doing a little shopping at the Sunshine Village Plaza and my wife and I were chatting it up with one of the shop keepers (my nephew just standing there nodding his head like he new what we were taking about). She told us about her children and we offered her some candy that we had brought for such an ocassion for her to take home with her for them. She was very appreciative and asked my nephew (as we were getting our back pack open) if we were christian. My nephew replied no, Xtabi (where we were staying). She didn't know what to say as my wife and I fell apart laughing. My nephew just turned beet red and walked away and let us carry in the conversation.
    PARADISE IS A STATE OF MIND

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CherryNorth49 View Post

I think at some point, I pieced together Booby Cay and tell them Kirby sent you. So, whoever our ride might have been, sorry we weren't much on conversation. Thank you for getting us home in the pouring rain.
    If it was Kirby that drove you....he is the owner of Canoe! LOL

Oops, just saw Lisa beat me to that
    Last edited by marley9808; 11-15-2012 at 04:37 PM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=T&A;72063]. She was very appreciative and asked my nephew (as we were getting our back pack open) if we were christian. My nephew replied no, Xtabi (where we were staying).

That made me lol

Awesome report Cherry!

User Info Menu

Hey Cherry - where is Shamrock's? We'll need to get OJ for our morning mimosas and I've heard it's great juice LOL

User Info Menu

CherryNorth49 ; you guys eat alot of subs

We were at rooms around last Christmas too. I've been meaning to write a report long time now, but it looks like I am a good procrastinator. I don't feel no way now though seeing your report coming in almost a year later. Bless up ...wha whoa wha

User Info Menu

HoneyBee, write it. Go for it.

There is fresh juice on the beach every morning. From Flex and his delicious orange, and mango and pineapple. Were the guys not offering juice on the beach?
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]