Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

YAY, Friday!
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

Chapter 11

“It's often just enough to be with someone. I don't need to touch them. Not even talk. A feeling passes between you both. You're not alone.”
    ― Marilyn Monroe

Friday started with the sun shining, which seemed to be how it went every day. This being our last day, we were determined to be willing victims of the sand gravity. Are you still a victim if you are almost begging for it?

Shamrock's OJ in the room, along with some coffee. Sunshine drank the stuff that came out of our in room coffee maker. I thought it was terrible. Down to the beach for a couple of fruity cocktails. It counts as a good breakfast food if they blend real fruit in, IMHO.

We snacked off the vendors for a bit and then decided it was time to go for a walk down the beach. For you dedicated beach walkers out there, you will probably be appalled by this, but it was our last full day and we had not been more than 50 feet north of Rooms on the beach side. I had read that Niah had some of the best patties on the beach, so we set off walking to find some lunch.

Though we hadn't even left Negril yet, I already knew we would be back and I wanted to see some of the other properties beaches first hand. I understood that the beach had been on the move last year, so there were a couple of spots along the walk that we literally had to take to the water.

We continued along the beach, up past CocoLaPalm. I had my map and knew that I should have seen Niah's already and then the patty man appeared pushing his bike. We grabbed some patties and coco bread from him. Now food in hand, we realised we hadn't quite thought out how to eat this away from our own beach. I had my flip flops in one hand and with a patty and bread in the other it was a bit of a juggling act. Never fear, a friendly fellow at a bar waived us over and for the price of two Red Stripe, we had a table to enjoy our patties. (I know now that it was Dennis from Sun Beach who hooked us up).

There were a couple of resorts I noted. CCLP had a lovely wide, deep beach. Idle Awhile had great shade and wasn't crowded. Charela Inn had nice umbrellas and the lounge chairs looked comfy. Nirvana on the Beach was wide, deep and shady and didn't seem to have much built up on it. Lazy Dayz had a great porch style swing raised above the surf.

We eventually wandered back to Rooms and lazed about like sloths on our loungers or floating in the sea. We chatted back and forth, alternately solving all the world's problems and solving none of them.

We talked about our trip and wondered about how we were every going to describe the whole experience to our friends and family back home. We agreed that it kind of seemed like we had been hazed by Jamaica, but not in an unpleasant way. It felt like we had to earn our stripes before we could claim a piece of Negril for ourselves and that, like most things you have to work hard for, we would value it more in the end. Time away has not altered this perspective.

Sunshine was walking tall. He still had no idea what most anyone was saying to him, but he wasn't bothered by it at all. His spirit was easy and I could see his mind was at rest. He seemed to find some extra pep in his step on that beach, which in all honesty followed him home.

It had been a great trip and I didn't want it to end, but that afternoon there was a part of me that was ready to go home. I was getting tired of everything being new and was ready for a bit of the familiar. I had stretched about as much as I was going to that week and I was getting to the end of my rope. There was a bit of time that afternoon where the risk of my turning into thundershower was high, but Sunshine's enthusiasm was so infectious, it turned out to only be a passing cloud.

User Info Menu

I have really mixed feelings - I don't want it to end....but I want to read the rest! Sure hope we get to hear about your upcoming November trip when you get back - it's been a fun report!

User Info Menu

"Tanfantastic – I am going to think that in my boss' direction for now – that four letter word funds my Negril habit!"

Unfortunately my dad did make me a trust fund baby so that four letter word pays for all our habits as well!

User Info Menu

Cherry, I stay at Nirvana, I love it there. We stay 3 weeks
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

Cherry, I'm really loving your T/R and I'm kinda sad it's coming to an end...We still have a while to go 'till our next trip so we depend on these reports to help us through (sounds like some sort of addiction doesn't it ?) so...now finish this one up, finish packing, and get to Negril and on to another adventure so you can write another T/R and feed our appetites and sooth our longing for our favorite place. :-)
    ~Dave~

User Info Menu

Then it was sunset and it would be our last, for now. It was a heck of a show.

Seriously, could Sunshine look any more relaxed? I just love the light at this time to day. It really was a golden hour.

This shot may look familiar. It seemed like the perfect shot for my avatar; Sunshine caught me at one of my favorite passtimes, sunset.

The colors of the sunset seemed extra vivid that night, so much more red than we had previously seen.

The very last sliver of the sun dropped and just like that, we had shared our last sunset in Negril. I had hoped all trip to catch a green flash, but no luck. Just add that to the list of reason why we have to return.

User Info Menu

I did take a video of the event. It is nothing more than 3 minutes of sights and sounds of sunset. I wanted to have it for those extra dark cold days of winter.

We were both so perfectly at peace at this moment and I think it shows. I have set Sunshine's profile picture on my phone to this shot. Every call and text from him sends a little piece of the magic of this moment back my way.

User Info Menu

She was very appreciative and asked my nephew (as we were getting our back pack open) if we were christian. My nephew replied no, Xtabi (where we were staying). She didn't know what to say as my wife and I fell apart laughing.
    Easily one if not the funniest thing I've found on this board! T&A - Nice!

We agreed that it kind of seemed like we had been hazed by Jamaica, but not in an unpleasant way. It felt like we had to earn our stripes before we could claim a piece of Negril for ourselves and that, like most things you have to work hard for, we would value it more in the end.
    You have zoomed in on exactly what it is like on the last day, brilliant writing, so there with ya.

Seriously, could Sunshine look any more relaxed? I just love the light at this time to day. It really was a golden hour.
    That pic has perfect light, wow! And yeah, he's so chill.

Your sunset video is just awesome! Love it. Emailed it to all the other Negrilophiles at work.

We were both so perfectly at peace at this moment and I think it shows.
    It shows in every bit of this wonderful trip report. You've really nailed what a Negril trip is about. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Having already had our big splash out dinner two nights before, we were looking for simple food on our last night and decided to head out for barrel jerk chicken. We should have gone back to Step-a-side, but I wanted to try some place new. It was good; it just wasn't nearly as good.

Though we were both reluctant to bring it up, in the morning we were going to have to set an alarm, pack up and leave. Our JTL pickup time was at 9:25 am, which would seem really early. Having skipped the hotel breakfast every morning, we decided not to ruin our streak. We had a nice piece of brownie left and with one last bottle of Shamrock's OJ, it would be the breakfast of champions. It would certainly make the drive to MoBay more interesting.

On the way to get our barrel chicken, we hit Shamrock's and scored the last bottle of juice he had. There would be no more until tomorrow afternoon, so I felt extra lucky to be able to enjoy it one more time.

We also stocked up on a few of the local snacks to fill in the extra spots in our suitcases. I don't remember exactly what all we brought back. I know we bought St. Mary's Sweet Potato Chips, Rough Top Coconut Drops, a range of cheesy Holiday snacks (I love the chili cheese ones, and the big feet), Shirley biscuits and Jamaica ginger cookies. It wouldn't be the same once we got back home, but if we closed our eyes, for a moment at least it might take us back.

Anyone care to guess how we wrapped up our last night? You would be correct to suspect that we were drinking Red Stripe in the surf. The waves on my feet were like a gentle balm for the soul, gently scrubbing my worries away. I was at peace and we were already dreaming about the next time.

Tomorrow, we must journey home.