Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

His spirit was easy and I could see his mind was at rest. He seemed to find some extra pep in his step on that beach, which in all honesty followed him home.

There was a bit of time that afternoon where the risk of my turning into thundershower was high, but Sunshine's enthusiasm was so infectious, it turned out to only be a passing cloud.

Really great perspective on your TR.
    The writing, to ones heart.

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

I believe the fruit lady is Jenn and she makes me lift that #### basket also.

User Info Menu

They always do this.....suck you in and then stall with the writing.

User Info Menu

I appear to be dragging my feet a bit today. I don't really want this to come to an end either.

Lorax – Total trip report addict here, too. I am sure Negril will provide plenty of new material.

Iowagirl – I can so understand and appreciate that. I am starting to get that look from people and it is only our second trip. Negril can't be explained. Once you go you know, right?

Lovs2travel chic – There are some pictures for you today. Thanks coming along.

Misti1 – I hope speechless is a good thing! I getting there… I'm getting there. Thanks for reading.

RockRobster – we saw an ice cream vendor on at least 3 different days down on the beach.

HuskerJohn – Thank you! I wish I could take credit for the timing of that! All part of the magic.

Marijane – You are very welcome

Signmon – Negril brings out the love.

Alright, enough stalling. Time to go home…so we can return again.

User Info Menu

Chapter 12
    “Though the road's been rocky it sure feels good to me.”
    -Bob Marley

What is that squawking sound? Ugg, alarm clock. That can only mean the party is nearly done.

Coffee brewed, orange juice poured, it is time for a brownie breakfast - after everything is packed into the suitcases.

I should have mentioned that there was actually a third member of our traveling party. Meet Bristoe. If elephants needed passports, his would have a lot of stamps. I do have his permission to be in the trip report.

User Info Menu

We got down with our bags with 15 minutes to spare and got checked out. We begin waiting. After 20 minutes or so, the lady from the front desk wanders out and asks when our ride was due. She takes our info and calls JTL for us. Yes, they know we are there and the driver will be there shortly. Our flight is not for another 5 or so hours, so I am not worried. Brownies help make the worries go away.

Another 15 minutes and security wanders over and decides we should call again. Now we hear that an earlier stop is not ready so the driver is running behind. He pulls up shortly after and explains we have to go back for the tardy ones. We get to their resort and after 10 more minutes, the late group decides to make alternate arrangements for their trip to the airport, which gets a collective grumble from everyone already on board. I absolutely get not wanting to leave, but if you aren't getting on the bus, don't make the bus wait.

Our driver was clearly fussed at having his well organized day get behind so early and he took off like we were running from the law. This was not a ride for the faint of heart. I had a great seat up at the front and thoroughly enjoyed the dogde'em style of driving. We made it to the airport in great time and just ahead of the Saturday rush. There was almost no one in line to check in when we arrived and we couldn't see the end of the line by the time we were done.

Having only had OJ and brownie, we both were ready for some food. With the only obvious choice this side of security being Burger King, we headed in to get ourselves some Whoppers. Now we had observed throughout our visit that there was a certainly pace at which things got done in Jamaica, especially around food preparation. Your food is made to order and that takes time. We weren't the least bit bothered by that, I think it was part of the charm of the place. It sure made for good eats.

How ingrained this was in the culture, we didn't appreciate until we got to the airport. There have to have been 20 people in line at Burger King. Burger King makes and sells hamburgers, mostly. It is fair to assume that at least one or two of the people in line would be having a burger. The perpetual grilling of meat patties is almost a hallmark of the fast food industry. This was not how it was being done at Sangster. I swear, it seemed they weren't even pulling the patties out of the fridge, never mind cooking them, until the order was in and paid for. Long slow process, but it was a very fresh Whopper.

User Info Menu

We had dragged our feet as long as possible and it was time to head into the immigration/security process.

Right ahead of us in line was a family of five with teen/tween age kids. They were decked out in the AI's logo souvenir T-shirts. The oldest boy had on a green wrist band (you know, the rubbery type that it seems every cause has so we can show our support). I have seen enough green and orange in the last few days to realize it was in support of one of the main political parties.

As the family gets to the double doors leading to the immigration hall, one of the two ladies manning the door takes exception to this kid's wrist band. For the first time all week I actually understand what is happening and this woman wants scissors. The family is a bit lost at this point, seeming to think she is trying to remove the AI bracelet from their resort. The father explains that no, this is his son's souvenir, one of the resort workers gave it to him. Her voice amps up a notch and there is some finger wagging coming out. She is going too fast for my understanding and the family was clearly in the same boat.

The fuss has attracted the other women manning the door. They start back and forth in patois. Guard Lady #1 is clearly voting for the orange team. Low and behold, Lady #2 pulls up her sleeve and reveals a green bracelet identical to the teenagers. A few more loud phrases slung back and forth and Lady #2 ushers the family through the doors wristband intact and the incident is done.

Man, Jamaicans do take their politics seriously. Should you find yourself there during elections, might I recommend avoiding the colors green and orange, unless you are really prepared to defend your stance. Just my suggestion is all.

I was amazed how much shopping there was once we were through immigration and security. Though it wouldn't support the locals in Negril, I can understand how folks might leave their entire souvenir shopping for when they got to the airport.

Somewhere earlier in this report, I think I mentioned that I am a bit paranoid about keeping an eye on my possessions in the airport. For someone as paranoid as I am, I actually manage to lose things with alarming regularity. Sunshine and I have developed a system to try and identify early when a piece is missing. It is not complicated. At the start of the day, we figure out how many 'detachable' bits we have (bags, cameras, items of clothing, etc) and every time we leave a place we count and make sure the number matches.

It is a simple and effective system, as long as you remember to use it.

We did a bit of shopping for others on our list and bought some Red Stripe gear for Sunshine. I remembered that nutmeg was actually on the list on the fridge back home, so I picked up a bag. We had a bit of time, so stopped for a last Red Stripe at their branded bar. We wandered over to our gate and counted our bits. One is of course missing and it has all of Sunshine's newly purchased Red Stripe gear. Our plane is due to board in like 10 minutes, so we start the mad scramble retracing our steps. Our third stop back, there is our shopping bag, exactly where we left it.

We rush back to the gate and they are already loading up. It is hard to deny that this trip is coming to an end. I am a bit choked up, but I know I'll be back.

We settle into the seats. On the way down, I had thought that the airline seats were design specifically to maximize my discomfort. Coming home it felt like sinking into a feather bed. One thing I will say about the places we visited in Negril, they weren't much for cushions on their chairs.

Somewhere over the mid-west, our breakfast brownie finally wore off. Reality was setting in. Spots on the ground beneath us were starting to be white. Brrrrr. I looked down at my bare feet, still in sandals and wished we were already heading back to summer paradise.

User Info Menu

Epilogue

Thank you all for joining me on this newbie journey to Negril. It has been a real pleasure to share it with you. I warned you at the outset that it would be long, but I'm not sure any of you were prepared for the marathon that was coming.

This has been an interesting exercise. I haven't written for pleasure like this in a long time and it felt really good, good like a really good long stretch. When I started the report, I hadn't planned to follow along with the days of the week. Rather by accident I posted Saturday on Saturday and the concept kind of clicked into place from there. I have enjoyed living it in real time. If you caught it in the beginning, I hope it has felt a little bit like you got an extra week away in Negril.

Mine and Sunshine's story really did unfold together. Rest assured I did have his permission to be in the report. Though he had never really been to Negril.com, he has been lurking about since I started this report. Your response to my efforts has left him with him with nothing but the highest praise for the community that gathers here.

If your travels to Negril correspond with ours, I sincerely hope our paths will cross. Should you spot us on our wanderings, help a shy girl out and say hello. PM me if you don't want to rely entirely on luck crossing our paths.

I will keep posting as our countdown gets into the single digits. I want to tell you all about how we plan to do nothing on this trip. The title of our next trip might be 'Brought to you by Negril.com.' The board's influence is woven all through our plans.

Leaving Negril is no fun, but with my ticker just inches away from single digits, the long wait to return is almost done. I can say two things about the waiting game. Red Stripe is not the same when you have to carry it through a snow bank to get it home. Same goes for tropical fruit.

Soon come Negril, soon come.

User Info Menu

What a trip report! Thanks for taking us along.

User Info Menu

awesome report!! I'm even more excited about going.... about this time in two weeks I should be drinking my 1st or 2nd rum punch! Will definately look for you - Seastar on the 1st?