Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

Getting home from Negril last year was a bit of a shock to the system. We woke up that Sunday with snow outside and the dawning realization that there was in fact only one full weekend left until Christmas, which we were hosting. There was not a single decoration hung and not a meal planned. So we got up, put on our winter gear and made our annual Christmas tree pilgrimage.

It was February before I recovered from the season. I had one big thing on my mind and that was getting back to Negril. The boards at this point where starting to light up with talk of April gatherings. There was bash, a magic bus and a flop off. I really wanted to join in the festivities, so I set to planning our return. It wouldn't be April, but it could be November.

I was excited to discover that Westjet had their early winter schedule out and they appeared to be adding a second direct flight on Wednesdays. That opened up the possibility of a 10 or 11 day trip. We had gotten an early booking bonus from Westjet, which got us a 25% off promo code. It was ironic, because the bonus was for booking our winter vacation before December 15. We were already home from our trip at that point. I'll still take it.

I started in on Sunshine to get his vacation approved early, because when I saw a fare in our price window, I wanted to jump on it. Basically at the same time as he got his vacation approved, Westjet revamped their schedule - no more Wednesday direct flight. We talked about it and decided that Negril was more than worth a connecting flight. We would travel down through Toronto but we could still take advantage of the direct flight home.

If you are really paying attention to flights for a particular set of days, it is amazing how much the fares can fluctuate. It is crazy even how much two flights from the same airline on the same day can have differences in the hundreds of dollars. Westjet seemed to be using fares to push people onto a flight that didn't get into MoBay until 7pm. I wanted to be there for sunset, but I wasn't willing to pay an extra $500 to do it.

At least 2 people suggested on the board watching one way flights on multiple airlines. They were so right.

One Friday afternoon mid-August I was at my desk trying to kill time for before the weekend. My work neighbor started talking about booking flights for her vacation and I popped onto Air Canada's site. Their roundtrip was no deal, but the trip down was cheaper than any I had seen and it is scheduled to arrive with plenty of time to sunset. Westjet actually had a seat sale on the trip home, which with the addition of our 25% off code put the whole trip into our fare window.

So I pushed the button and it was good.

The plot actually thickens a little bit. Not only do I want a good deal, I want to know if I could have gotten a better deal, so when I have of minute, I will check back. Within a month of our booking, Air Canada changed their schedule, moving up the Toronto flight by 30 minutes. Not a big deal, except we didn't have much of a connection time to begin with. In fact, you couldn't book the flight combo we were rolling with anymore.

I didn't tell Sunshine. No need for both of us to worry about it. I figured these things had a way of working themselves out.

So this morning my cell phone rings and who is on the other end? Air Canada customer service, informing me that their schedule has changed and they have rebooked us on the Winnipeg-Toronto flight the night before and they will be putting us up in a hotel overnight in Toronto.

I know for some people this could be a real issue with shuffling kids and jobs and pets. For Sunshine and I this is big woo-hoo moment. I don't get to Negril any sooner, but my vacation starts when I get to the airport, so I just got an extra day of vacation on someone else's dime.

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

Thanks Cherry! I was sad that the trip report was done, but happy now that we get the lead up report!! So wish we could meet you, it's too bad you'll be gone by the time we get there . I love WestJet, they've been good to us...

User Info Menu

Great report Cherry! Have fun on the cliffs. Go see Sexy Rexy, eat at LTU and drink a few stripes at Whoopie's.
    Feb.1 - 16 Xtabi

[https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Hey Cherry - Sounds like my scenario with my flights. Hubby is always anxious to get us booked and then a better deal comes along. I end up spending over an hour on the phone to cancel the booking, getting my $$$ back into my West Jet account, losing $ 50.00 each on the deal but still end of saving money by re-booking when the price drops. See you on the 1st for Luciano - maybe I should hold a table if I can, for 6 peeps - Mamade included? Only 8 more working days - Yah Mon!

User Info Menu

Cherry - we leave the night before this year due to being able to use miles. I like the idea of splitting the travel day and staying in Florida for the night. Getting up in the morning and getting to JA in a couple of hours is exciting! Irie - if you can save a table we are in

User Info Menu

Mamade - I agree, I think splitting the trip up is great. It also means that we don't have to catch a cab at 4:00 am. I don't expect to have a great nights sleep in Toronto, but it will be better than if I had been at home.

Irie, please do save us a seat It is nice to know there will be some friendly faces there! Are you staying at Seastar?

User Info Menu

Is it weird that I find myself getting just as excited when OTHER PEOPLE are going as I do when I am going?!?!?!

Sigh.....I have it bad
    LOL

User Info Menu

Traveling solo.....can I join your table at Seastar for Luciano???

User Info Menu

I think this is a more the merrier kind of party Delcey - Irie, can we make that a table for 7?

Marley - I know exactly what you mean. It is how I felt when you were all getting ready to go in April!

User Info Menu

Is it weird that I find myself getting just as excited when OTHER PEOPLE are going as I do when I am going?!?!?!
    Not weird at all, Marley, joy shared is a joy made double....and I'm pretty sure CherryShine will double down on several fronts in Negril, then they'll share.