Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 59 of 63 FirstFirst ... 94954555657585960616263 LastLast

Thread: Simply Portland...Utterly Devine

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Re: Simply Portland...Utterly Devine

Do you plan on continuing with your report?

User Info Menu

Hi Kaycee

Going to do a new one which I should be ready to start posting next week. But I do have one more entry for this one. I'll try to get that up today. Thank you for remembering me...your support means a lot.

User Info Menu

One more thing I want to mention regarding this visit….

Appreciating Duty-Free Liquor and the duty (tax) ON said liquor .

User Info Menu

\

I arrived to the airport super early so decided to kill time browsing the rum inventory at Sunshine Liquors and comparing prices with those of the liquor mart smack in the center of the airport avenue. It was brutal moving around the small, hot, congested store with a carryon but worth the effort. Their prices are the best I’ve seen anywhere.

Twenty minutes later I leave with eleven bottles of some of best white and gold rum they had on the shelves. Four were overproof. The entire purchase was less than $70.

I had plenty of room in my carry-on so six went in there. The others were packed in one cardboard sunshine box and taped up good.

This was my first time bringing back more than 2 or 3 bottles. US Customs allows 2 bottles duty free. So I knew with this load I would be facing fees but didn’t know how much.

Having that box sitting next to me made leaving Jamaica less painful. Not MUCH less, just a little closer to bearable.

User Info Menu

Where is sunshine liquors located? How much duty did you have to pay? I came home to Canada once with one extra bottle. I claimed it and the duty took away most of the savings.
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

You will see Sunshine Liquors is at the top of the escalators once you leave check in and security to proceed to your gate. it's before the little food court and way before Margaritaville. Just look straight ahead when you reach the floor.

http://www.mbjairport.com/content/28...s_f575x300.jpg

WOW sandman, You were charged that much???!!!! Maybe Canada imposes a higher duty rate than the US. The more expensive the alcohol the more the duty will be. What did you claim??

User Info Menu

The flight was good. The below kept me from shattering as I was taken further and further away from my Jamaica.

User Info Menu

Landed in Philadelphia on time (5:35 PM) only to be told that due to an earlier storm, there is no power in some parts of the airport. US Airways gate was powerless so we couldn’t get off the plane.

So we waited...

...and waited...

...and waited...

Last edited by *vi*; 11-20-2013 at 03:14 PM.

User Info Menu

For almost three hours we sat waiting for a gate so we could deplane. The pilot kept us updated on what was going on inside the terminal while the attendants gave us beverages and scolded those who were out of your seat too long.

For so many people to be cooped up on a plane for over six hours (flight and sitting time combined) things were surprisingly calm. Aside from a restless baby or two, no one freaked out. I don’t know what got THEM through it, but after 90 minutes, I pulled out my reserve…smile.

User Info Menu

Finally got a gate and were off the plane.

Immigration was a breeze. Customs was not. Hungry, disoriented and exhausted didn’t matter to the customs officer, he made me go to the secondary inspection area because of the extra bottles of booze.

I was 3rd to be inspected. The two ahead of me, male at one booth, female at the other, both (of course) had issues. He has some sort of problem with his documents. She was Jamaican living in the US, but because of a scent of ganja on her person every item in her luggage was searched inside and out. All six pair or her 5-inch wedges were X-rayed.

After thirty LONG minutes it’s my turn. By this time I was ready to just surrender all the extra bottles so I didn’t have to go through what they did. Or worse, pay double digit$ in duty fee$.