Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 7 of 63 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast

Thread: Simply Portland...Utterly Devine

User Info Menu

Re: Simply Portland...Utterly Devine

I fixed my first rum and lime juice cocktail of the visit then took it out to the verandah to enjoy it. Such a lovely view. This drink is pretty darn attractive as well. ..mmmm Port Royal Gold, fresh squeezed lime and a trickle of overproof (W&N of course) a tall glass of mellow. I notice I wasn’t sweating. What no humidity??? Wow, no humidity and comfortably cool on a July evening. So refreshing, so appreciated.

I take another sip and feel happy I blended the rums and lime just right this time.

I love how the breeze whips the hem of my ankle length sundress sending it brushing against my calves.

I lift my glass and give a toast to my first night in Port Antonio.

Jamaica gives me permission to big up myself for little things like being a good mom, working two jobs to support my Portland addiction or helping my sister pay for her cruise. She’s going to have a blast without me.

Tonight I’m finally where I couldn’t wait to be…in Port Antonio, Jamaica and I can’t help feeling good…no proud of being here. Why??? Because I worked dyam hard to be standing here seeing what I’m seeing, inhaling the scents that only fill the Jamaica air and enjoying the harmonious songs of the local treefrogs. This first night needs to be savored and respected for a change. Maybe I’m finally growing up…

I go inside to get the mp3 player to add some music to this scene. The phone rings

“Hello”
    “Vi, I’m making a run to Boston. You want to go see the new club??”
    “YES!!!!!!”
    “I’ll be there shortly.”
    Last edited by *vi*; 09-04-2013 at 10:52 AM.

User Info Menu

I sat on the bed and looked outside…remembering where my mind was just 3 minutes ago. I liked that spot. I take another sip…”hmmm…needs a likkle more OP”. Then pick up the phone and start dialing…

“…on second thought I’m going to stay in tonight and watch tv. I hear a lot of new shows have been created since Good Times and Sanford & Son.”
    “Okay Vi, call me in the morning when you are ready to go into town.”
    “I will.”

Just think, I was outside all that time and not one mosquito bite…yeap, this is going to be a good reach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    My first evening was all about me remembering me.
    Note to self: HELLO!

User Info Menu

hi vi . . . where exactly is match resort? right in town? walking distance to market?

User Info Menu

Goldilocks, sometimes what we owe ourselves becomes long over due.

Hi JitterBug, Match is outside of town, in Dolphin Bay. You can't walk from there, well unless you are a passionate walker. It's about a 8 minute drive to the lane, then less than a half mile up the lane. Now THAT I can walk...lol

User Info Menu

Good morning Port Antonio – first full day

I awake renewed and ready to start the day.

Callaloo
    Boiled banana
    White sweet potato
    Fried dumplings
    And of course the long desired akee and saltfish

Everything was superb, I mean that sincerely. But this morning’s breakfast medal goes to Duane for those fried dumplings. The best I ever had. Light and airy inside with a thin crunchy outside. Still warm on the plate. I could have made a meal off those dumplings and tea.

There are two chefs here at Match and I’ve sampled enough of their meals to recognize each of their specialty areas. Duane is spicy and culinarily audacious. He’ll delight your taste buds with every bite. You see that callaloo??? It was so amazing I had to ask what the secret ingredient was. He actually told me but I forgot!! Claudia is conventional yet her flavoring skills are outstanding. She's a master at giving new life to common recipes.

Caribbean dreams instant ginger tea.

I instantly liked it and made a note to buy a few boxes to take home. It’s presweetened but not too sweet. It’s the ginger bite and smell that got me hooked. Can be drank hot or cold, but I prefer hot.

I dined alone on my first and every morning at Match. That was fine with me. The following mornings my mp3 player filled the air that would normally be occupied by voices and clanging silver.

User Info Menu

It only rained two mornings during the entire reach. Today was one event. It poured for about two hours after breakfast. I took that time to reorganize my bags. Take out the goods I bought for folks and re-sort my personal clothing.

Discovered I didn’t bring enough of this and too much of that. How can I pack only one pair of shorts yet 22 pairs of panties for a 12-day stretch?? No black tank tops, but 3 white ones and 1 lime green. Lime green, Vi??? And where are all those flower barrettes for my hair??? Oh but I have plenty of sundresses…like 11 of them. Will I ever get this packing thing right???

Rain stopped. Called driver. He's on his way. Shoved everything back into the duffle bag to re-sort later. This is so unproductive.

User Info Menu

that dumpling oh my!

User Info Menu

Like I said, Sammy, BEST I ever had!!!!!

User Info Menu

After the money business I visit my friend Suzie and load up on movies. Yeah…I know…but this is how she supports herself and her daughter. Besides, buy 10 @ 1,000JA and get one free is hard to pass up.

I always bring her a designer purse and a backpack for her daughter. Inside I slip in a few sweets and bubbles. Bubbles will forever be a hit with the kids but these are special bubbles. The solution has color instead of being clear. I gave her the blue bottle but meant to give her pink. Color didn’t matter to her; by her squeals after each blow I can tell she loved it just the same. Cool looking. Even though they are worth it, can’t buy a lot at $2.97 a bottle. I’ll buy more once the price reduces to 75% off…right now it’s 50%. Still tons of them around so they will go down to the 75…maybe even 80. SOLD!