On our recent trip to Port Antonio we stayed at Hotel Tim Bamboo. Breakfast was included every morning but otherwise we ate away from the hotel, something we always do while on vacation. Something else we usually do is really spread our money around, eating at as many different places as we can. Sometimes we will go to the same place twice in a 2 week trip, if we find it is worth a repeat visit. Although we had a car this trip I decided to park it after dark, seems like more crazy drivers came out then, especially the psycho motorbike drivers. So we would always walk somewhere for supper. We started the trip walking downtown for the first few nights but never found anywhere great, Piggies was good, and there's a place next door to the police station that served not bad fried chicken. Woody's Low Bridge had decent burgers, my wife really like the veggie. But they are about a 5-10 minute drive away from us. We had pizza a couple times, The Italian Job had the best we tried.
After several nights we turned the opposite direction down what I think is Harbour street, although the map says West street. First time we ended up at Anna Bananas. The food was good and the service was excellent. While walking back to the hotel we went by a small cook shop next to where many of the local fisherman hang out. I noticed the cook had a big pot of soup going. Now I hate to miss an opportunity to eat soup from the vendors in Negril, so I asked the guy what it was. He was a bit difficult to understand but what I got was that it wasn't ready yet. So we continued back to the hotel for our evening rooftop ritual. The next night we went back to Anna Bananas. Once again it was good, and once again the service was excellent. I have no problems giving them 2 thumbs up. Again on the way back to the room we walked by the same little cookshop. Its pretty clear this fellow caters to the locals, there was no signage of any kind and we were the only people that "stood out" in the area. I could see he had some tasty looking chicken cooking in a pot. We decided that the next night we could go back there and try his food.
To be continued.........