Although the pros and cons about pollution are interesting, I think the reason for the ban had more to do with the dangerous way the people who were renting them operated. I have no problems with nuclear power but I don't want a nuclear plant in my backyard. The same can be applied (although loosely) to PWC. There is more than 99% of Jamaica (I am guessing) where the operation of these PWC would not be in violation of the new rules.

The problem is that people who rent them out want to be where the people who will rent them stay and recreate. This intrusion into the personal space of sunbathers and swimmers is annoying and frankly dangerous.

I live in a tourist community in So. Florida and barbeque vendors and orange juice sellers are perfectly content to do them out of a store or restaurant and not out on the streets and beaches. This is not how things run in Jamaica. Jamaicans compete for any personal space that allow them to be "in your face" to sell and rent their goods. Yes, it is nice to get up off your beach towel and walk over to a PWC and get on and have fun but their close proximity is exactly what causes the problem.

Find a favorite PWC rental place AWAY from the beach and use their services. Once people do that in sufficient numbers, vendors will do enough business to keep them out of your "personal space"

I live in a rural community where this type of "in your face" competition for money is not a regular occurrence as this is mainly a urban and tourist thing.

Just my opinion.

Peace and Guidance