Some years ago when we started the highways to Negril I predicted that Negril was going to become the entertainment capital of Jamaica. I vision a place where Jamaicans from all over Jamaica mainly from Kingston, Montego Bay and Ochi rolling into Negril every week end for entertain of all type feature music of all type but mainly reggae roots rock. My prediction has not happen so far. It has not happen for a number of reasons.
• As soon as it was about to take of the government the police on the music. One senior officer said in a meeting he was sent to Negril to control music.
• Shops , bars, and places that play music as part of their business model was targeted.
• The major hotels and some residents who said they want quite and the music is a issue for them, some of these people retired and make Negril their place of living.
• The local organizers have not done a good job of organizing and managing the music and the type of event.
• The class of people that that have the government ears are those that have issues with music particularly outdoor music.
• The way how the town is organize or lock there of .
We have seen the town move from a vibrant 24hr rocking town to now dealing with dead one at nights. As the town grows entrainment grow over the years. So some places that were tolerating music for two nights a week suddenly have to deal with it for seven nights. It should be noted that we are an outdoor culture.
It is true that the visitors now a days are different from those in the 70’s , 80’s and early 90’s when I started business in Negril. They don’t seem to be as fascinated about partying under the moonlight. They seem to want to party and then go home. Also many of the older tourist who are here every year are definitely not into all-night or loud music partying, many of them are not even drinking liquor any more. I have experience where I see a table in the garden with about eight people and thought they were drink and I might be making a good sale only to discover that they are not drinking liquor but rather drinking water.
The town faces a balancing act which is not an easy task. Local business needs entertainment/music to attract so they can a chance to make some money. The visitors are on the beach in the days. Afternoon they are in there hotel for dinner etc. Late night is when the local business get a chance to sell to some of them that are brave enough to venture out. If the police continue to pressure many local businesses will go out.
SOLUTION
• Requires some cooperation and support for local business.
• Technology to address the music volume
• Small business marketing (niche)
• Organize, organize and more organize so local business voice are very loud. There is a Negril Entertainment Association. They are doing their best. However they don’t always have the support of the authorities.