Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Restaurants & Bars along d'beach mon!

User Info Menu

Re: Restaurants & Bars along d'beach mon!

Obviously it is a big deal for you. Why would you not use the currency of the country? It's just disrespectful. Do you take Jamaican currency at your local estabishments inTennessee?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nicollet View Post
    Obviously it is a big deal for you. Why would you not use the currency of the country? It's just disrespectful. Do you take Jamaican currency at your local estabishments inTennessee?
    Would that be kinda like going to Possum Creek and using these?
    Name:  DisneyDollars.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  33.3 KB

Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Disrespectful? Are you kidding? Have you even been to Negril? Whatever an individual finds most convenient is the way to go. Your hotel is priced in U.S. dollars. Transportation from the airport is mostly quoted in U.S. Almost everything is priced in Jamaican and in U.S. Almost all the higher end restaurant menus are in U.S. And most smaller restaurant bills are presented in one currency and will have the conversion rate on the bill.
    What is disrespectful however, is your comment about using Jamaican money in Tennessee.

User Info Menu

Wrong...it's disrespectful. Obvioulsy your not a very well travelled individual.

User Info Menu

Wrong...it's disrespectful. Obvioulsy your not a very well travelled individual.
    Well, I know one thing that is pretty sure. All this works in Negril, MoBay, Ochi and other touristy areas but not so much in "country".

If you hand a shop owner in my area of St. Elizabeth a $20 US bill to purchase something, you will get some amount of Jamaican back (maybe) as most would have to make a rough guess or call someone who might know.

In 30+ years I have almost always used Jamaican Currency mostly out of necessity as I live in remote areas. Frankly, if places in Negril didn't make it easy for the non-initiated to spend their foreign currency, they probably wouldn't get as much business.

I live and work in a touristy area of So. Florida when not home in Jamaica and I almost never see anything other than US currency..... even from Jamaicans!

Just my opinion.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Nicollet,

No one in Negril, MoBay, Ochi, Port Antonio, Kingston, or nearly anywhere on the island will take disrespect if you use US$ currency. In fact, with the fluctuations in the JA$, many businesses are more than happy to receive US$. If they think you may be North American, you are very often asked by your cashier, "is this in US$ or JA$?'

Many of the bills on the POS systems at restaurants have multiple currencies listed so you can pay in the currency of your choice. I know this because I helped set many of them up. Obviously they are generally not giving the same rate as a cambio, but they do this not only for convenience but they also have to pay some of their bills in US$.

MegaMart actually has the best exchange rate of nearly any store, or cambio for that matter. That encourages payment in US$.

Although it may seem counter intuitive as most visitors home countries only expect payment in their home currency, Jamaica being a small island nation, much of what is needed to keep the island running is imported - steel, oil, foods, autos, etc. all need to be paid for in US$.

To all,

You are in no way disrespecting any business by paying in US$ or Canadian $ for that matter. Most if not all the businesses have a going rate for these currencies. Euros and British Pounds are a bit harder to exchange on the fly as most businesses have to find out what the going rate for these currencies.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Whatever Rob... some people have other opinons that you...YOU will not tell me what my opinion is...who do YOU think you are, you can't push me around like your BOARDIE BUDDIES.
    Get over yourself!

User Info Menu

Whatever Rob... some people have other opinons that you...YOU will not tell me what my opinion is...who do YOU think you are, you can't push me around like your BOARDIE BUDDIES.
    Get over yourself!
    The thing is, you're giving "your opinion" as if it is a fact, when it is just, like, your opinion, man (woman). It's not disrespectful in the major tourist areas, especially if they prefer to be paid in US dollars.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Get over yourself!
    Nicollet,

I am not sure why you are taking such offence.

You are entitled to your opinion, just as I am and everyone else, but as TAH stated you were presenting it as a fact and an insult for that matter.

You wrote "Wrong...it's disrespectful. Obvioulsy your not a very well travelled individual." It is now nice to know that your harsh statement is just your opinion and not based on facts.

But facts being what they are, when menu prices are quoted in US$, room prices quoted in US$, transportation quoted in US$ and all these bills are presented with US$ amounts displayed, how can it possibly be disrespectful to pay in the currency requested. From a logic standpoint I cannot follow your line of reasoning that your opinion is based.

I presented facts here as well as my previous post. I dont have to "think" who I am, I know who I am. I have lived here daily for over 20 years, I created this website in 1995 and this message board in 1997.

I own and operate this site and the message board and I designed it to make sure that our visitors receive the most accurate information to make their vacation the best possible, it is one of my duties to correct misinformation that some people post.

There is no reason not to use Jamaican $, it is the official currency of the island. But to make visitors feel that paying in US$ is somehow disrespectful is simply inaccurate. Many businesses prefer it. That is a fact, not my opinion.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

It is a fact and you;re wrong . Why do you think there are lineups out the door at the Scotiabank ....jamaicans trying to exchange their U.S money to the country' s national currency perhaps??????? You don't think all these trips to the bank are a pain the a$$ for locals????? Its not all about you when you are a GUEST in another country. RESPECT