Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunsets, Rum, Sand and Gizzadas 97 Days in Negril

User Info Menu

Re: * * * * * * Sunsets, Rum, Sand and Gizzadas – 97 Days in Negril * * * * * *

Hey Kim! – Yup, toeing the line, maybe a likkle over, but going back now

Gerryg123 – I can get away with ignoring them, they just think I’m old and am hard of hearing.
    PGW, Big Shiny and Just Chuck – re Gizzadas. I am really reluctant to reveal my source. But I’ll seed a clue in the photos that follow.

The other night we went down to Susan’s Bar for our pre-sunset libation. Susan’s Bar is located on One Love Drive between The German Bar and Swordfish. It’s a small, basic structure located on the sea side of the road. It seats maybe, six or seven patrons. You walk in the front door and you can see all the way through, out the rear door to the waters of the Caribbean Sea out back.

Susan's Bar
    Name:  neg12.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  90.0 KB

Noches, the bar cat, was lounging comfortably on one of the few bar stools. I considered asking him to move, but one look at him told me he wasn’t going anywhere. He’s the cock-of-the-walk. I found another stool. It’s a well-stocked bar, all the liquor displayed behind it in shelves that go way up, there are ‘custom-made’ Red Stripe bottle pendants that light the bar top. The wiring to these lights looked a little dodgy. I wouldn’t want to change a bulb in one of them, in fact I wouldn’t put my hand anywhere near them.

Noches - don't mess with him.
    Name:  neg16.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  54.6 KB

The bar has a, homey, convivial atmosphere. Susan is very nice, the ultimate bar hostess. She has an open friendly manner and makes you feel immediately at home. She has a projection TV displayed up against the rear wall of the bar. While we were there it displayed music videos with the occasional commercial. One commercial caught my attention. It was for a weight GAIN product. At first I thought it was a spoof commercial, a-la Saturday Night Live. But as I watched it I realized that it was legit. It had testimonials and before and after photos; before - a young skinny Jamaican girl with a down expression. After; same girl, but smiling and showing off her big booty. We laughed.

'The Scream' - Jamaican style.
    Name:  neg4.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  60.8 KB

Speaking of weight gain, we joined the Fitness Express gym. It’s on the road to Sav in a little plaza just beyond the Texaco station, a twenty-five minute walk from our place. It’s a good little gym, new equipment, small and basic. Good music and it’s AC’ed – a plus. We do the gym three times a week back home, so since we are living here for the winter, we thought we’d keep it up, otherwise starting up back home would be brutal.

Name:  neg89.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  70.5 KB

Yesterday we were walking to the gym along the roadside and I noticed it was unusually quiet. All the cars, buses and motorcycles were driving at a reasonable speed, no beeping and there was no maniac passing going on, as is the usual case. I mentioned it to Bea. “What’s up? This is weird!” It was weird, but in a nice way.

We were approaching the Negril Police Station when the reason for the good driving behaviour became apparent. Two cops, one armed, and a cruiser were parked at the police station entrance watching the traffic pass by.

Then we noticed that the roadway, on both sides, was lined with small brown paper bags sitting upright on the ground and spaced about twenty feet apart. The bags were half filled with beach sand and atop the sand were the remains of burned down candles. It was odd. We couldn’t figure out what they were for. The sacks lined the roadside from the Shell station all the way out past the Texaco. I asked one of the pump attendants at the Texaco about the paper bags.

She explained that someone had been killed on that stretch of road the day before in an accident. In the evening, the local residents lined the road with paper bags and lit the candles. Then they paraded up and down the road, played music and sang. So the bags had been part of a roadside memorial and vigil for the accident victim, Jamaican style.

Name:  neg14.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  neg23.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  97.4 KB
    Last edited by Kahuna3; 12-13-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

Wow, a call box!!! International style. Haven't seen one in Negril for years.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

They sell gizzadas at Express Fitness? That seems counterproductive.
    "Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."
    -- E. Gary Gygax

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BIG SHINY n Mango View Post
    They sell gizzadas at Express Fitness? That seems counterproductive.
    Did you think its was gonna be a gimme? Noooo, grasshopper, as Yoda would say, "Seek advice you must, worthy of an epic quest, these king gizzadas are."
    My Books:

User Info Menu

Nice! I love a good adventure!
    "Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."
    -- E. Gary Gygax

User Info Menu

Catching up! Loving your rants. Kinda Rick Merserish!
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna3 View Post
    ... on the road to Sav in a little plaza just beyond the Texaco station, a twenty-five minute walk from our place. It’s a good little gym, ......

We were approaching the Negril Police Station ....... The sacks lined the roadside from the Shell station all the way out past the Texaco.
    that *route* takes you pass the Negril car/bus park (if it's still there)

for me,
    around lunch time,
    it was always a '..Must Do..':::
    to visit & dine at one of the likkle cook-shops waaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the back, on the right-side.

GREAT food..!!!..
    c-r-a-z-y IN-expensive prices..!!..
    cooked-FRESH from-scratch daily (except weekends)

and of course,
    i'd stop/pause to get some sweeties from the ladies sitting around/in the bus/car park. .... i always took-a-pass on the produce (if any) there:::: over-priced; don't look good;
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna3 View Post
    Then we noticed that the roadway, on both sides, was lined with small brown paper bags sitting upright on the ground and spaced about twenty feet apart. The bags were half filled with beach sand and atop the sand were the remains of burned down candles. It was odd. We couldn’t figure out what they were for. The sacks lined the roadside from the Shell station all the way out past the Texaco. I asked one of the pump attendants at the Texaco about the paper bags.

She explained that someone had been killed on that stretch of road the day before in an accident. In the evening, the local residents lined the road with paper bags and lit the candles. Then they paraded up and down the road, played music and sang. So the bags had been part of a roadside memorial and vigil for the accident victim, Jamaican style.
    Interesting...I've never personally seen the paper bags placed immediately after an accident...but just for further info...

The paper bags with the candles placed inside line a section of the road(usually) heading up to the location of a Wake. It's done in memory of that person's life & offers direction to the celebration/wake of that person's life for that evening.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Interesting...I've never personally seen the paper bags placed immediately after an accident.......
    the *custom* seems to vary.

but just for further info
    i recall a couple years ago,
    the day after
    a female BeachesSandyBay employee
    was run-down & killed on the BeachRoad.
    her co-workers put loooooooooooooong row of bagged-candles along the roadside (the following night)

'twas a pretty sight, too
    long line of glowing paper bags
    with a nice Negril sunset in the background
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

It was a beautiful day today in Negril; clear and sunny, warm with a fresh breeze. A perfect weather day.

I went to Samuel’s Hardware store to get a piece of rope. I want to hang a chair from the almond tree out front, like at Sun Beach, but a hammock chair. Although I’ve walked by the hardware on numerous occasions, I’d never been in the store before. So, upon walking through the door I was a little surprised when I saw that the customer accessible portion of the store consisted of a narrow section bordered by a long counter that spanned across the very front of the building. Several customers stood around in front of the counter, waiting to be served by the gaggle of people working behind it. Behind them were long aisles of storage shelves that disappeared way into the back of the building. Obviously, all the merchandise was behind the counter, no browsing. This was not Home Depot.

I walked up to the counter and got the attention of the lady who was taking orders. “Do you have rope?” I asked. She half-turned to a young guy who was standing nearby. She said something about a ‘rope board’. The young guy rustled around in a pile of stuff a bit and came up with a piece of board with about a dozen short lengths of varying types and thicknesses of ropes tacked to it.

I pointed to the 5/8 inch polyprop. “How much per foot?” I asked.
    “We sell it by the pound,” he replied.
    “OK . . . . ah, so how much would about 12 feet of 5/8 inch poly weigh?” I asked.
    He consulted a chart. “About a pound,” he replied.
    “Then I’d like a pound of 5/8’ths,” I said.
    I’ve bought a lot of rope in my day, but always by the foot. It felt odd ordering it by the pound.

So the order lady (who was as friendly as a French waiter) used her machine to print out an order and the young guy dashed off into the bowels of the building to get my rope. I gave $500J to the order lady. She took the money and the order printout and sauntered over to a cash wicket and handed it to the lady inside the wicket. After a minute, yet another lady came back with my change and handed it to me along with my order printout. It had been stamped as paid. After another minute or so, the young guy came to the counter and handed me my rope. I went to give him my order, but he pointed to another guy who was sitting at a small table by the door. I went to the door guy and handed him the order. He looked at it, looked at the rope and scribbled something on the printout and took the top copy. I left the hardware with my rope.

It took five separate people to complete the rope transaction.

I’m just sayin’.

Look at all the different plants growing in this big beautiful cottonwood tree that sits at the intersection of One Love Drive and Hermitage Road.
    Name:  neg22.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  98.8 KB

This is the local bar in Redground that we call 'The Dominoes Bar'.
    Name:  neg91.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  99.6 KB

Where else in the world would you get a view from a booth in a Burger King that is a good as this one?
    Name:  neg111 (2).jpg
Views: 883
Size:  76.4 KB
    My Books: