Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunsets, Rum, Sand and Gizzadas 97 Days in Negril

User Info Menu

Re: * * * * * * Sunsets, Rum, Sand and Gizzadas – 97 Days in Negril * * * * * *

Thanx K3, for the reports. I love gizzadas, too! It was great seeing You & Bea at Ragga's (even if it was so ever brief). Remember......Don't get run over at Mandrix corner, look both ways....Twice, LOL. Enjoy your stay on the hill and we'll see ya in a couple of months. Keep the updates coming....Respect. K&K

User Info Menu

Perfect... this TR will tide me over till i get to White Sands end of february. a three month trip report perfect. Looking to get through the new year and its smooth but awfull cold sailing. but at least i have a TR from K3 to make it through.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guyingb View Post
    Perfect... this TR will tide me over till i get to White Sands end of february. a three month trip report perfect. Looking to get through the new year and its smooth but awfull cold sailing. but at least i have a TR from K3 to make it through.
    Wait a minute!

I don't think I can do a 3 month trip report - not every day anyhow. Expect these reports to become less frequent as I slip into my groove. Besides, as more mature, long stay people, we tend to spend what most Boardies would consider to be a rather boring and staid vacation. I realize that, but I just put it out there for what it is.

But thanks for the feedback Guyingb and thanks for reading. And that goes for all of the lurkers too!
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big_frank View Post
    Love the photo of your 'jungle' foliage. Looking forward to beautiful green Jamaica.
    BF - I've been coming here for many years and the natural foliage never ceases to amaze me - glad to hear you appreciate it too.
    I have a special admiration for the Cottonwood trees that are scattered around Negril. Big, majestic, massive brutes that rise above everything else. Awesome!
    My Books:

User Info Menu

Last night we trekked up to the Swordfish Bar for our nightly toast. The bar up top is one of my favorites – the view over Long Bay looking north with the hills beyond the morass is spectacular and there is always a fresh breeze blowing in off the water. At the time we were there we had the place to ourselves, it was nice. Looking down, the water was clear and we saw long, silvery flying-fish jumping out of the water and gliding for 20 feet or so. I had a Red Stripe, Bea had a rum-n’-raisin ice cream., because she's running on Saturday.

Name:  negril2.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  58.4 KB

Luna, our ‘guard’ dog, sprained her left hind leg while she was running on the beach. Over-exuberance, apparently. So she had a visit at the vet and now she sports a tensor bandage that is covered with a thick wrapping of white cloth medical tape. This bandage has seriously curtailed her activities. Normally she’s taken down the beach every day for a run and a swim. But the vet has put her on a no-activity restraining order for 10 days. And she’s not happy about it.

She’s only two years old and has a lot of pent-up energy. Since getting her bandage her barking efforts at the gate have greatly increased. Truth be told, some of the kids that pass by on the road tease Luna.

Last night Luna hobbled into our apartment, found a cool spot on the living room floor and flopped down. She crashed out for an hour, her legs jerking spasmodically as she dreamed doggy dreams of running on the beach and chasing the feral cats that live in our yard.

Poor Luna.

Name:  neg2.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  82.7 KB

Walking around Negril you wouldn’t know that Christmas is just around the corner. Very few signs of the shopping/eating/drinking season are visible here. Except when we walked into the Hi Lo this morning we were accosted by Celine Dion singing some schmaltzy Christmas standard over the PA. I almost gagged, I did, actually.

Celine Dion? Really?! Jamaicans have good taste in music. How about Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton singing Christmas tunes? That would be just fine.

Yah, Mon - Gizzadas!

Name:  neg4.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  42.6 KB

Bea is running in the Reggae Marathon 10K event tomorrow. Her run starts at 5:00am. That’s not a typo. This means she will be getting up at 3:00am Saturday morning – which means ‘guess who else’ will be getting up at 3:00am? I’ll walk her down the roundabout so she can pick up the shuttle to Long Bay Park at 4:00am, then it will be straight back to bed for me. The Beach Road will be closed from 4:00am until around noon, I think.

Tonight we go up to Couples Swept Away for the pre-race pasta party. Should be good. It will probably be an early night tonight.

Observation:
    It is my observation that the ‘No Smoking’ thing has had absolutely no affect in Negril. All the bars we go into, even though there are ‘No Smoking’ signs posted, people still smoke as per before. It probably has had an impact in offices and the like. But not the places we frequent.

I don't know what exactly happens in this bar, but I'm gonna find out.

Name:  negril20.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  81.2 KB
    My Books:

User Info Menu

Glad you're still reporting.
    Though I understand about not reporting.
    I tried taking notes last trip (explicitly for my post trip - trip report).
    As the Negril groove grabbed me even note taking fell by the wayside.

I relied on my camera (the sequence of pix) to get my trip report straight.
    Without that photo record the trip would have been a blur when the time came to write the report.
    Anyway as long as you're going to write I'm going to be reading.

As the Dude said to the Stranger, " I dig your style man . . ."
    Last edited by Rum-polephoreskin; 12-06-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo
    That rug really tied the room together.

User Info Menu

Several years ago, I-too was surprised to learn/discover how-much CelineDion's music is loved in Jamaica. Even the pickneys knew the lyrics to her songs.

i'm reminded, that sometime(?) over the past year or so, she was-scheduled-to and/or had a concert in Jamaica. The Gleanor/Observer media-hype & on-island interest was tremendous. It was as if a major head of state, the Pope, or TheQueen was coming.

another VERY popular-artist is Babyface ---- i *think* it's the infectious rhythm/beat that's ever-present in his songs.

Also there's a strong affinity for Chicago-style '..Steppin..' music.

and a *certain* type of gospel-music, too ---- i'm still analyzing to determine the trend and/or preferred commonality of their gospel preference(s).
    Last edited by smith744; 12-06-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rum-polephoreskin View Post
    ... I relied on my camera (the sequence of pix) to get my trip report straight...
    Ditto..!!..

on my last couple of trips,
    i found videos a BIG-blessing
    for trip reporting.

the downside:::>> dealing with that silly-slow YouTube up-load-ing
    :-(
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

THANKS,
    for posting that gizzada label::: i'm gonna *try* to find that-bakery @ 13-Barnett Complex, in MoBay.

should/could be an interesting excursion/day-trip
    [[ along with the Negril tilapia fish-farm(s) {grin} ]]
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

Hello K3 :
    I am glad you have a good time ! Thank you for making my Luna a world famous dog, she deserves it so much. Also, speaking about nature and unusual things : ask Desmond to walk with you and show you a Pimento tree [as the Island in the Sun is the only place in the World blessed with Pimento] and extraordinary house of his brother - built high on a single rock. You will think you are in a Disney movie...