Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunsets, Rum, Sand and Gizzadas 97 Days in Negril

User Info Menu

Re: * * * * * * Sunsets, Rum, Sand and Gizzadas – 97 Days in Negril * * * * * *

It’s a quiet day today, Sunday. Fewer motorcycles on the road, no kids for Lina to bark at. Sipping my tea on the patio this morning I heard Bluegrass music sifting up through the tree below. Later, the pealing of church bells.

Last night we had a major emergency in the apartment. I was lounging on the bed, quietly reading my Kindle, when I heard Bea yelp in the other room. She came running in and grabbed the broom from the closet.

“There’s a HUGE cockroach that just flew into the living room!” she said. Her eyes were wide and the tendons in her neck were standing out. “Will you get it?” she asked, offering me the broom. “Save me?” she added.

I was comfortable on the bed, and Jack Reacher was just about to kill yet another bad guy in the book I was reading, so I said, “Nah, just leave it, it’ll be okay.” She went into the kitchen and whacked a few times and screeched once. She came back into the bedroom and said, “It flew under the dishwasher.”

“We don’t have a dishwasher,” I said.

“You know, the fridge! Will you save me?”

Having been through bug episodes before, I didn’t think there would be a problem. “I’ll get it in the morning, “I said. “Just close the bedroom door – we’ll be safe.”

This morning I found the monstrous bug hanging on a curtain. I picked it up with a handbill and put it outside. Here’s a photo of it.

This monster is a little over one inch long. Pretty scary, eh?

Name:  neg7.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  83.5 KB

I’m beginning to feel like a resident of our neighbourhood. Walking down to the traffic circle late yesterday afternoon, I saw a woman walking with a box balanced on her head and another woman trying to coax a recalcitrant goat along the road. Her little boy, about six years old, was behind the goat, keeping his distance, clapping his hands and stamping his feet. The goat was dug in, not going anywhere. As I walked past another home I heard religious music drifting out the open door, a woman was singing along. People say ‘Hi’ to us, there’re friendly up here. One guy asks me if I want opium every time I pass, which is neighbourly.

I went down to Sunnyside for sunset and met up with Tizzy, Booger, Pooper, PGW and JT. JT is a ‘lurker’ friend of mine from ‘Bullocks Shrunken, Winter-Hell’, Canada. We had a few beers and watched the sun go down. It ducked behind a big cloud at the last minute, but we were rewarded with a beautiful silver lining. We took some pictures. It was the first time I’d met Booger, Tizzy and RVT Pooper – good, fun people.

BTW, PGW did actually run the 10K and he got a respectable time too. He hung around the recovery area for a while. Apparently he was quite dehydrated after the run because he told me he drank seven Red Stripes. “Hey, they were free!”
    Walking back through our ‘hood’ on returning from our excursion this morning, we were ambushed by two little boys who jumped out from behind a gate, pointed pop bottles at us, then mowed us down, imitation the sounds of a machine gun. I raised my finger and pointed it at them and did my best Bounty Killer impersonation, “BULLET! – BULLET!” One each. They feigned serious injury, laughed and retreated back into their yard.

Today I got a 1,000mg pack of vitamin C in my advent calendar (??) Yesterday I got a ‘stretching catapult chicken (???)

Hi Zoe!

This is my catapult chicken draped over a large custard apple. My favorite fruit in Jamaica. Try it!!

Name:  neg8.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  95.6 KB

Moving to the beach next week.
    Name:  neg5.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  95.0 KB
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

SO enjoying your reports!! Thanks for taking time to post for those of us stuck at home in the snow.. 9 more days and counting. Love that last photo...especially the "take away" part. Gotta love Jamaica!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

at least it wasn't a cock roach. looks like a grasshopper

User Info Menu

loving the pictures,and, reports. I can not say I appreciate a good custard apple. just not there. yet.

User Info Menu

Thank you for your reports and pictures, sounds like you are having an awesome time!

User Info Menu

Was a long last full afternoon, in Negril, a few rain showers and ducking under shelter with JT, at some point we end up at Canoe where <<<<<<<JT bought a tshirt, as we went to Pushcart for dinner, and I would guess he is the first person to go have dinner at Pushcart bare foot! lmao
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

Thanks for reporting in. Must have been fun to meet the party crew at Sunnyside. Looking forward to your next posting
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yetta View Post
    SO enjoying your reports!! Thanks for taking time to post for those of us stuck at home in the snow.. 9 more days and counting. Love that last photo...especially the "take away" part. Gotta love Jamaica!
    Thank you Yetta and all who have given positive vibes. I'm happy to be sharing with you. There is so much to report and I forget half the things I would like to write. I'm just doing this 'on the fly'.

So the ‘big bug’ incident wasn’t really a big bug – I was just pulling Bea’s chain a bit, but I guess it didn’t totally come off that way. I thought it was a cute little bug, actually.

Last night we decided to stay home for the evening, so we sat out on the patio and watched the sky darken as the sun went down. Just before setting it looked like it snuck below the clouds (it was cloudy and rainy yesterday afternoon) and lit the beach up. We can’t see the actual sunset from our place. The tree frogs started up their nightly chorus (it seems to me that the Redground frogs are more full-throated than their beach brethren) and the bats had started their orbits around the almond tree.

From our vantage point it was compelling; the whole beach was bathed in a bright orange glow from the slanting rays of the sun, with the darker clouds above. It was interesting to see all the flashes popping off up and down the beach as people took photos against the setting sun. It was easy for me to imagine their situation, since I was doing the same thing right there in front of Sunnyside exactly 24 hours prior.

You know how there is a continual parade of people selling stuff on the beach during the day. Well, up here in Redground we also have vendors that regularly pass by on Hermitage Road selling their wares. There is an Ice Cream Man who comes by each day around noon-ish. We can hear him coming from far down the hill. He pushes a bicycle with a cooler mounted on it and toots his little bicycle horn as he goes. Talk about a Pavlovian reaction; at the first far-off toot, Bea announces, “The ice cream guy is coming!” As if I didn’t hear him. Then she speculates as to the flavours he may be toting. “I wonder if he has rum and raison?”

Another guy, also pushing a bike, calls out that he has “Box drinks! Pattiies! Coco bread!” Yesterday I heard a fellow walking by announcing that he had ‘Kingfish!’ ‘Kingfish!’

I think there are more women driving scooters around Negril. I see them regularly scooting around the roads here, not a lot of them, but maybe four or five a day. I talked to a Rasta dude who was riding a bicycle about this. He agreed and informed me that the women only drive scooters because the scooter has an automatic transmission. He said the standard transmission was too difficult for women to master.

Friday morning we were sitting in town, having a coffee and watching the word walk by when a young woman pulled up in front of us and yanked her scooter up onto its stand. She was wearing a very nice short dress, her long hair was done in a spectacular cascade of tight braids and she was all made up. Obviously she was headed for work. She grabbed a pastry inside the shop, then got back on her scooter and zoomed off.

Except the occasional, older tourist, nobody wears a motorcycle helmet here. So the women riders don’t have to worry about helmet-hair.

The car wash just behind Scotia Bank
    Name:  neg4.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  98.1 KB

An early morning nap on the beach. Maybe he had a big night?
    Name:  neg6.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  97.2 KB

Best in the West has a new expanded eating area. My fav jerk chicken place.
    Name:  neg7.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  101.1 KB

Price of gas in Negril. About 20 cents more per litre than I pay back home.
    Name:  Negril 3.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  94.1 KB
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update!

User Info Menu

" The tree frogs started up their nightly chorus (it seems to me that the Redground frogs are more full-throated than their beach brethren) and the bats had started their orbits around the almond tree."

True Dat!!! I always feel the the West End tree frogs really let their symphony flow at night. One of my favorite sounds in the world!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]