Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunsets, Rum, Sand and Gizzadas 97 Days in Negril

User Info Menu

Re: * * * * * * Sunsets, Rum, Sand and Gizzadas – 97 Days in Negril * * * * * *

If I converted that correctly, that's about US$4.85 per US gallon for Regular Unleaded.
    Johio

User Info Menu

Your trip report is cherished in Frost Bite Falls, where the wind chill is below zero.

*spoken through chattering teeth* Please keep it going!

BTW I think your Cockroach was a Katydid, unless Steely Dan and Katy Lied.
    That rug really tied the room together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rum-polephoreskin View Post
    Your trip report is cherished in Frost Bite Falls, where the wind chill is below zero.

*spoken through chattering teeth* Please keep it going!

BTW I think your Cockroach was a Katydid, unless Steely Dan and Katy Lied.
    Katy-did lie, you can see it in her eyes.

OK – so today I do a likkle rant.

Like I said previously, we are planning on staying in Negril for 97 days. We knew of the 90 day visa limit, so before leaving home I called the Jamaican High Commission in Ottawa and asked if I could drop by and have them issue us 97 day visas – they advertise visas as one of the services they provide. The guy on the phone told me to hold, then after a short muffled conversation he came back on the line and said, “No,” but we could get it done upon entry at the airport in MoBay. No problem.

When we arrived at the airport, we asked the woman at Immigration for 97 day visas. She said “No,” but we could get it done at the Negril Police Station. No problem. She checked this with the guy at the next counter and he nodded confirming it for her.

A few days ago we bumped into a couple of Canucks at the Quality Traders (lime green) grocery store. We started talking. They’re farmers from Saskatchewan and they stay for the whole winter, so I asked them how they handle the 90 day visa thing. Turns out you have to go to MoBay, within one week of your 90 day visa expiry, and visit some guv’mint orifice there. There you fill out a form (no doubt the same info as the form you fill out on the airplane) and then you have to write a paragraph on why you should be allowed to stay on in Jamaica. No kidding, a likkle writing assignment – which actually could be fun. Then you fork over $10,000 each in fees. Yes, that’s a cool $100 US dollars - each.

So, to sum up;
    - a return cab ride to MoBay, say $100 US,
    - fill out some forms and do an English assignment at a guv’ment orifice,
    - fork over $100US each visa fee
    - and waste the better part of a day going to and returning from MoBay.
    All of this for the privilege of spending more time and $$ on the island.

For us that means $300US and one lost day for 7 extra days?! Nah, doesn’t figure.
    We changed our return dates to March 1 – exactly 90 days. And West Jet gave $128 credit when the change was made. That must have been a computer glitch, but I’ll take it.

Why does the Jam Guv’mint make it so difficult to stay longer than 90 days and charge so much for extending the visa? Revenue I figure. And I guess they don’t really care that much about long-stay people. They should. I’ll leave Jamaica on March 1 with about $1,000US in my jeans that I would have spent on hotel, food, booze and entertainment. Add that to the $300 we would have spent on the visa trip and the $128 WJ refund, and the numbers speak for themselves.

But it’s not about the $$, it’s about my utter disdain of guv’mint bureaucracy, wherever it may be. We have a corrupt provincial government in Ontario that wastes 10’s of billions of tax dollars every year – so it’s a sore point with me and I set off easy. But I’m done now.

Last night we went to Patrice’s bar on the West End Road, on the sea side just before Swordfish. There is a grouping of three little bars there – we are gonna check them all out. We met a couple of cats there – we love cats. After Patrice’s we went to a local Redground bar – Frankie’s I think. It’s a really basic kind of place, but the people there were very friendly and we had a good time. There was domino playing going on which apparently can go on until dawn.

Next – The Top Three Tourist Complaints about Negril.
    Likkle more . . . .

Name:  neg4.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  79.3 KB

Patrice's Bar - cat haven.
    Name:  neg6.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  92.8 KB

Frankie's Bar - well stocked, good company and dominoes 'til dawn.
    Name:  neg7.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  84.5 KB

Name:  neg11.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  Negril 10.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  99.7 KB
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

Kahuna....the immigration/visa extension has been the same for quite a few years and addressed here on Negril.com quite frequently.
    They will stamp you for 90 days maximum at the airport...then as you found out you have to go to Montego Bay or Kingston Immigration for any amount of days over the initial 90 day stamped period. You're allowed a maximum of approx. 6 months per year if you don't have permanent residency, citizenship or a work permit.
    Note...for anyone else that plans on doing this...you will also need to take proof of your return ticket, along with filling out a form & your 10,000j processing fee.

As far as the Jamaican Gov't making it difficult for us to stay in Jamaica for extended periods...I guess it isn't much different than Canada or the US making it difficult for Jamaicans etc to stay on an extended visit...

Enjoying your report...see you around!
    Last edited by Bnewb; 12-10-2013 at 01:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    As far as the Jamaican Gov't making it difficult for us to stay in Jamaica for extended periods...I guess it isn't much different than Canada or the US making it difficult for Jamaicans etc to stay on an extended visit
    Amen & Ditto to that..!!..

as for the other *rant-issues*:::::

#1....'tis GOOD that you didn't do as I once did,
    on one of my recent extended-trips.

*they* told me to report to Negril police station,
    to get an '..OK..' to stay-longer

i didn't do it --- played ignorant, and ignored the order

Upon departure,
    at the final airport check-point :::: the immigration booth,
    the immigration-lady looked at my likkle piece of paper,
    and chastised & berated me sooooo-emphatically
    that i wanted to cry.
    :-(
    she-SAY ((.in-brief.))::::>>> "...You MUST obey Jamaica's laws ....... IF you EVER do this again, you'll be banned from coming to Jamaica..."

* whew *

almost pee-ed on myself.

note:::>> not for sure, but me-*thinks* they got a nice likkle computer system now-days to keep on top of things ----- I'm waiting to *see* what the Snowden/NSA leaks disclose.

bottom-line:::>> DON'T *play* with the Ja-powers-that-be...!!..

#2....there is a significantly-cheaper *alternative* to that US$100 transport-fee (i.e., back & forth to MoBay). But i WON'T go into that in this thread/post/trip-report. Don't wanna cause any problems. My *alternative* cost less-than US $20 round-trip, per person.

#3....if/when I have need to *report* to MoBay for some government-bizness, I'll use it as a explore-ing opportunity ---- kinda-sorta like a vacation field-trip.
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smith744 View Post
    Amen & Ditto to that..!!..

Upon departure,
    at the final airport check-point :::: the immigration booth,
    the immigration-lady looked at my likkle piece of paper,
    and chastised & berated me sooooo-emphatically
    that i wanted to cry.
    she-SAY ((.in-brief.))::::>>> "...You MUST obey Jamaica's laws ....... IF you EVER do this again, you'll be banned from coming to Jamaica..."

* whew *

almost pee-ed on myself.

Me wid you Smith - 0ne hunert per cent!

IF we were planning on , say, a 120 day stay - then we would skip into MoBay - probly on a route bus - an' look at it as a kind of 'exploration'. Sure - but not this time. Maybe next year - who knows? Still, I wish it were easier - all I wanna do is spend some money here and chill - not EXPLOIT people or try to suck off the guv'mint or anything. But it's all good, Yuh hear what me sayin? I'm willing to go wid da flow, not worth the hassle to worry about it, or worry about anyt'ing for that matter. 'Don't worry, be happy'

Keep it IRIE an' all that, right mon? You still have dat funky camera?

Tonight we are off to 'the Dominoes Bar'. Smith - you are SO RIGHT about visiting the local bars - I feel myself slippin' into a comfortable Redground Groove - deeper n' deeper. Hopin' I can climb out when the time comes.

Later Bruddah!

Name:  negril15.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  100.8 KB
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna3 View Post
    Later Bruddah!
    por moi,
    NOT much-longer, Tall-Tall-Boss-mon

am-THERE next-week
    we gotta link-up,
    some(?)-time over the next several weeks

:-)

long-time since last we meet, na tru

by the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay::>> that BambooVilla pic (above).
    WHERE dat at..??? !!! ??? !!!???

i NEED-to KNOW...!!..
    from time to time,
    i like to collect emptie$
    &
    'twill be a great-way to supplement my pocket-change, since I *think* my buddy-HerbieG is no longer on the beach --- where i use-to cash-in bokkles.

ummmmmmmmmmm
    'tis *interesting* that now-days for empties you-get Ja$8 .... use-to-be Ja$5 (@ many-places) ... price raise eh
    be hapPpy

Administrator

User Info Menu

D&G/Red Stripe put an advert in the papers saying that they are having a bottle shortage and for everyone to PLEASE return their empty bottles....

This is not a joke....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Return de pints dem...
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

then we would skip into MoBay - probly on a route bus
    seen
    :-)

you probably already know/noticed,
    that they-got some sweet-vehicles dem use-ing for route-taxis, now days.
    and
    the ".buses." are now nice-nice comfy-vans WITH A/C.
    many better than what the charter-drivers are using.
    'tis a new-day, fi sure

not EXPLOIT people or try to suck off the guv'mint or anything. But it's all good, Yuh hear what me sayin?
    Yeah, mon..!!..
    i *hear* ya
    i'm definitely *feeling* ya on this-one

but, so it goes

it use to make my head-spin around
    when i *learned* of all the hoops some-folks are/were required jump-through. For example, i was really & truly vexed big-time to learn of the silly regulations boardie-NurseMarcia had to navigate, in her efforts to help the sick-sick new-born pickneys

but, so it goes

Here is::>> what i do:::>> at EVERY-opportunity::::>>> i chat-to EVERYbody about how such-a-such Ja-thing-y hurt$ the Ja-money-train.

WHEREAS,
    as we all know,
    money
    and
    getting more-money is a big-deal down-yonder there,
    mi-*thinks* that if nuff foreign-folks keep expressing their vex-ation,
    then
    eventually(?)
    *they* will make some(?) kind of *adjustment(s)* to the play-book

'member '..the squeaky wheel..' ....??..

Keep it IRIE an' all that, right mon?
    lol
    lol

of course..!!..

lol
    lol

Smith - you are SO RIGHT about visiting the local bars - I feel myself slippin' into a comfortable Redground Groove - deeper n' deeper. Hopin' I can climb out when the time comes.
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL

BUT::>> be careful..!!..
    be VERY care-full

you don't wanna cross-over to the dark-side
    lol
    lol

NEVER forget:::>> you a tourist .... a foreigner ... you AIN'T family
    know & unna-stan YOUR-place, in the scheme of things

your-mind is gonna play likkle comfy-tricks on ya,
    then
    out of the blue,
    from left-field::::::>>> "..Boom.." ..... something(?)-something IS gonna pop-up, to try to mash-up your irie-vibe. [[ guaranteed ]]

as RosanahRosanahDanah(sp?) always would-say, on SaturdayNightLive::::>> "...there's always something.."

enjoy enjoy enjooooooooooooooooooooy
    be hapPpy