Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: August – January – My 5 months in Jamaica

User Info Menu

Re: August – January – My 5 months in Jamaica

Love all the colourful clothing and that rainbow is amazing. Thanks again, really enjoyed this
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

Sweet!
    Feb.1 - 16 Xtabi

[https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Hate that I missed that rainbow!

User Info Menu

Very nice read. You have truly found your happy place..
    "When I feel like dancing, I dance. I don't care if anyone else is dancing or if everyone is laughing at me.. I dance.."

User Info Menu

wow.... thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us. - k

User Info Menu

Just lovely

~ May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand between your toes ~

User Info Menu

Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

[/url]

User Info Menu

I love the country side as much if not more than the resort towns and the great times I have there partying away. Thanks for opening up and sharing your way of life. Respect.....

User Info Menu

Okay, not quite all. I forgot to mention a project that might interest the organic farmers among us. It seems that nearly 20 years ago a teacher in Accompong Town and a former Colonel; Harris “Teacher” Cawley, used to have a farming program where students were taught how to farm and raise poultry and goats. Just bare remnants of that program have survived to this day. Like most things, progress only seems to move forward when there is someone with a hand on the rudder to steer.
    Name:  0036 FarmProgram.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  104.3 KB
    Once Teacher retired from teaching, there wasn’t anyone to provide direction and now the land is being used but the students are no longer involved. We are planning to change that. Just before leaving I met with some parents and community activists along with a representative from http://www.projects-abroad.org/volun...nteer-jamaica/ who want to revive this program.

As I have said before, there are virtually no jobs for young people in Accompong Town except farming and some of these youths don’t have the benefit of having an adult in their life who knows how to farm properly and effectively. Also, yield has increased with the use of “ferti” (fertilizer) but one of the unfortunate byproducts has been some discoloration of the yam’s meat which is directly related to the use. Organic farming is gaining traction all over Jamaica and it should be practiced in Accompong Town as well.

All changes take time and this project won’t get off the ground until later this year or early next. Perhaps if you are an Organic Farmer or know Organic Farming techniques and would like to spend part of your visit to Jamaica in a rural community helping make a difference, watch for more on this project when it happens or go to the Projects Abroad link above and volunteer for their program.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

This is awesome insight to life in jamaica that doesn't involve the sea. Thanks for sharing. I have a quick question. One of your friends, Tayshan, is a rasta that you say eats river fish. Is there a difference in their, meaning rasta, eyes between river fish or fish front the sea or is this just an availability issue. Also I've heard/seen that rasta practices/ beliefs are to only eat veg. Are there differences just like there are different groups of Christian beliefs, For example catholic. Thanks for sharing.
    Bar b barn '10 Catcha '11 BCC '13 Moonlight 14' Xtabi 14' HSH 15' Catcha 15'