Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Ganja tours"

User Info Menu

Re: "Ganja tours"

Thank you Navvet!!!! You are awesome!!!

User Info Menu

I don’t smoke. My cousin and I went out of total curiosity. We didn’t know what to expect nor did we ask any questions. Had a couple of red stripes and chatted as we traveled the beautiful scenic route to our destination. The drive was about 20 minutes.

Finally arrived. Met the “farmer”. Very handsome man just about to exit his 20’s. He found us to be “safe” so we were allowed to “tour” his plantation. The fee was $20 but would have been free if we were purchasing.

It was a twenty minute walk through deep bush. Passing livestock. Carefully stepping where he stepped to avoid traps and pits. Easing this large frame of mine through webs of barbed wire made getting scratched up unavoidable.

This particular owner farmed about an acre and the crop was bountiful.

We stood in the midst of thick, green stalks taller than me. I’m 5ft 4. He patiently showed us how they start out. Pointing to seedlings just sprouting in individual cups lined on a long wooden table. Then transported to plots nestled inside the circular enclosure of old truck tires. He spoke about the different “strains” and “potencies”. I got to stretch out my arms and hold a weighty “cluster of buds”, according to him, street value of about $27,000US

I was allowed to take all the pictures I wanted of the product and of him.

On the way back to the taxi, he told me why he chose this business, the dangers involved and the extreme measures he takes to protect himself from other “farmers” and the law. That conversation should have been enough for me to remove touring a plantation from my “list of things to do while in Jamaica.” But it wasn’t.

The second, and last, experience was completely different. This time, another driver I knew reasonably well, promised me I would be “impressed”…and protected so I went. The owner, handsome, mid 40’s and mean. He only let me stay and “tour” because the taxi driver was his cousin and one of his most profitable salesman. I was forbidden to take pictures of anything especially the young men standing guard, clutching their own personal M16.

This owner has his product secured over many acres. Impressed??? Hell, I was too scared to be impressed. My first “tour” was like walking through a well maintained garden. This was straight out of a dark gansta movie. That’s all I can share about that experience.

Yeah, those videos of endless smoke will get you hyped for true, but what you don’t see is the security they have at their back or the money they paid to be there. But I learned from experience not to take these “plantation tours” lightly. It’s a serious industry there.

Sure…as mentioned, some of the local distributors/hustlers will lead you to believe that they will take you on a tour of a real field, instead you might end up looking in disbelief at a tiny patch or some stalks growing out of clay pots sitting in their grandmothers back yard. Yet you’ll be charged plenty and maybe forced to buy their low grade trash. However, the likelihood of finding yourself face to face with heart-pounding danger is also present.

Again, and this is the key, unless you KNOW the hook-up and/or the recommendation are on the real, you are taking a big chance of being disappointed, robbed, hurt or killed.

Since this is your first visit, I suggest you get to know as much as you can about the runnings as you puff a spliff from the safety of a lounger or bar stool. Then if or when you return to Jamaica and are still interested in touring a plantation you’ll be a little more knowledgeable about setting it up.

User Info Menu

I've been on a few tours of gardens ranging from 100 plants to one the size of two football fields. In most cases the gardens belonged to friends of mine or close friends of friends of mine.....touring a strangers garden is not my thing at all. Learning about different strains, growing methods, nutes/ferts, paying off the police and stuff is interesting but yawn it get a old as a "tour".

A few tips....don't go online posting about everything you pass going to the tour location, don't post ganja pictures with backgrounds like water towers or mountains....a blind idiot can look at some of the pictures floating around on the net and know the grow locations. Don't post the growers pic....some are not that web savy and don't know that the whole world including the police know they have a garden.

Oh....pro tip....if you go and tour and are welcomed to touch and feel......the black stuff on your hand is finger hash...ball that stuff up and smoke away! Oh, prolly don't buy on a tour.....not worth the risk driving around with herb....it's still not legal.

User Info Menu

Name:  P1010181.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  96.7 KB
    Just not that hard to find
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! Good advice for sure. I don't plan on posting anything while I'm there and probably not at all so no worries there.

User Info Menu

To make things easier, of the five or six cabbies with whom I've associated on past reports, all of them can you help you out, and they're all totally trustworthy ....

User Info Menu

I wouldn't waste your time if only there for four days. I have heard that Ahh Bee's has good brownies as well. Have fun!