Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: around & about Port Antonio

User Info Menu

Thanks Vince. As you can see, I share your love of Portland and her surroundings. Can't wait to return.

I truly appreciate you and anyone else for letting me know the post was enjoyable and/or informative.

User Info Menu

Vi there is a book called The Pirates Daughter, that is a fictional story based on the reality of who lived in that cottage on Navy Island and what went on there - well worth the read = especially after you have spent time around Portie, it's fun to know the spots they are talking about.

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing this report Vi. You got me all jacked up for our upcoming trip to PA. Thanks for taking the time. Now I'm heading over to read your new/old report.

Suz, I have that book and it's good. The True History of Paradise is another good book written by the same author. Her name slips my mind... Margaret,...something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    Vi there is a book called The Pirates Daughter, that is a fictional story based on the reality of who lived in that cottage on Navy Island and what went on there - well worth the read = especially after you have spent time around Portie, it's fun to know the spots they are talking about.
    The Pirates Daughter

Editorial Review - Library Journal vol. 132 iss. 14 p. 126 (c) 09/01/2007
    In the late 1940s, Errol Flynn established a home on Navy Island, off the coast of Jamaica. What little is known of this aspect of Flynn's life is the springboard for Cezair-Thompson's fictional account. Told from the perspective of Ida, the young island girl Flynn seduces, and May, the product of their affair, this sprawling story traces the evolution of Jamaica from a British colony through the violence and political upheaval of the 1960s and 1970s. The story is mesmerizing in the first half and loses focus in the second. Fatally flawed as Flynn is, some of the lifeblood of the story is sapped once he dies. The drawn-out conclusion involving the mysterious Austrian Baron Ida eventually marries fails to captivate, partly because the character is such a cipher. Nevertheless, many readers will be pulled into the depiction of the evolving and multiethnic Jamaican culture and the issues of identity the novel raises. Recommended for public libraries.—Christine DeZelar-Tiedman, Univ. of Minnesota Libs., Minneapolis

Thanks for the book suggestion, Suz. After reading the reviews and summary I decided to order it. Looking forward to reading it. I did find out there are a few boats that take folks over to the island. There was a huge party over there that lasted until 2:00AM! I found out about it the next day. So I plan to know what’s up on Navy Island when I return.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeannieb View Post
    Thanks for sharing this report Vi. You got me all jacked up for our upcoming trip to PA. Thanks for taking the time. Now I'm heading over to read your new/old report.
    jeannieb, I just got back from spending a fantastic week in Port Antonio. The sunshine filled every single day but one where it rained heavily in the morning but cleared away in time for evening partying. I’m sure you will receive the same glorious weather during your stay.

I have a few more photos from the July visit to post....soon come
    Last edited by *vi*; 10-25-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: to add a line

User Info Menu

Thank-you for the fix! Really nice pictures!
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool

User Info Menu

So glad I finally decided to check out the PA board. Thoroughly enjoyed your trip report and pictures Vi...what a treat!! Thank you

User Info Menu

What a perfect way to spend my Sunday...eating butterpecan ice cream and reading your trip report. The pictures were simply BEAUTIFUL. I am definitely planning my adventure to Port Antonio...thanks for pushing me in that direction. I hope you will allow me to email you for suggestions and any info you can offer

User Info Menu

Vi, this was an estatic read. Your report transported me right there. Simply beautiful!! I must get that book The Pirates Daughter.

User Info Menu

Thanks Papamark, Love4Jamaica and Summer.

Sure L4Jam, ask away! BTW, I will be posting about my recently visit soon.